Program runs sluggish & freezes up.

Discussion in 'General Support' started by Michael Hopkins, May 5, 2014.

1. Michael Hopkins

Michael Hopkins

I thought I was having problems with the upgrade so I purchased the full retail 6.8 and installed it on my system without removing any of the previous versions. I understand that the 6.8 V is not compatible with the previous versions but that they will both run fine on a single system. I have made 100's of logos with the earlier versions I don't want to loose. Anyway after installing 6.8 I then went and copied all my elements and copied them to the correct folder in 6.8 all my extra elements I can see but now the program is real sluggish, click on anything and you have to wait a few more extra seconds, it's enough to be noticeable to me. Also if I open certain folders to get at the images it causes the program to freeze after I have seen half of the images. Is it possible that I have too many elements or possible some of the elements not be compatible? I know the templates are not compatible.

2. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

If the elements are not compatible I think you just get a little icon doo-hickey (technical term) but it should not cause any program errors. They simply won't show. As far as having too many elements, I hope there is no such thing. Have you tried a simple re-boot just to rule out some other program conflict? Have you tried bringing up your 'older' versions to see if they have developed any problems. And just as a reminder, are you a MAC or PC user?

KD-did likes this.
  3. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

One thing I have personally experienced, which is quit similar to what you described as sluggishness, was myself accidentally putting a PDF file into one of my own custom logo libraries (they were all photos). I came across the pdf file and deleted it, and every was good to go after that. I then did an experiment and put a MS word doc in one of the logo elements directories and ended up with the same sluggishness. I deleted that word doc, and things were working fine. So I would recommend looking through your various elements files for files that ARE NOT IN THE png FORMAT. That does not apply to the animated SWF files.

The problem you spoke about some of the images not showing up, and the program freezing can be isolated to two or three specific things:

1. The DS_Store file has appeared in either your element libraries, or your logo libraries. DS_store is a file that MAC computers use to help display icons and thumbnails-- it is not needed on windows computer. Search your entire computer for DS_STORE and delete it.

For the thumbnails to show up in the pull down menus, they must be in the PNG format, if the image is in any other format you will either see a blank white square where the image should be, or you will sell a little yellowish square. The presence of the DS_Store file also causes the same problem.

3. I know of only One problem that causes the program to freeze up (which was fixed "behind the scenes" in version 6.8): In version 6.0 the Shapes.DB was defective. The shapes.DB file can be easily deleted, and since you now have the full version of 6.8 once you delete that defective file, there will be no more freezing. THE SHAPES.DB FILE DATED 4/29/2012 IS THE DEFECTIVE FILE. ATTACHED TO THIS POST IS A SHAPES FILE THAT WILL WORK FINE. The attached file is actually just the shapes folder from version 5.2--- you will notice all the dates are from 2006!

3A: create a folder in your logo elements directory, give it a name like "shapes"
    3B: extract the attached file into that directory.

Even if you accidentally delete all your shapes files, in your Laughingbird documents directory, you can copy and past the shapes file from version 5.2 into 6.0 and above and it will work fine.

In version 5.2, and below the logo elements, and logo libraries were installed with the main program files, not in the documents directory.

Attached Files:

gunsmoke and KD-did like this.
  4. Michael Hopkins

Michael Hopkins

Yes your correct in the little icon showing up for images not compatible, I'm using a Laptop Win 7 64bit.

5. Michael Hopkins

Michael Hopkins

Thank you gcuneo2, I'll go through all of it looking for your suggestions and see just how it does and I'll get back with you later today

6. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Please do. This is a chemo day for me so I wont be back online for about 8 hours..

7. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Come on back anytime. I use a power laptop also and have no issues with TLC so I'm sure ( sooner or later ) we can get you up to speed. :cowboyno:

8. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

I'm baaaaaack!:O_o:

9. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Hope you're feelin' better. Welcome back! :cowboy roping:

10. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

YUP! chemo not so bad this week, so far. The only bummer is start giving myself two injections a day in a few minutes, blood thinner stuff, Only $2,500 for a 30 day supply!

11. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

I'll stick with the aspirin I take to thin my blood! $2.50/bottle at Wal-Mart!! :O_o:

gcuneo2 likes this.
  12. SLBen

SLBen

Had the same problem with Shapes. As suggested above created a shape folder and pasted in png images from the zip folder. It all seems to work now. But some of the shapes in color are missing. Can you direct me to where I can find the latest Shapes db? Thanks.

13. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

From what I can tell, the basic shapes library in question does not contain any color shapes, they are in shades of gray... you can change their color thru the FORMAT OPTION within the program.

There are other elements that contain orbs, swooshes, stars, stuff like that, and those are in the latest version. I also have those libraries, which are not updated, from earlier versions....