problem with some bugs (...help...)

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by MasterDesign, Apr 23, 2005.

1. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

Hi there,
    i've been using TLC (vers.3.6.1) for a couple of days and i keep running in to some bugs;
    1 quick command keys, like the modify commands are not working (just "mouse click" commands work)
    2 bring farther command not working (at all)
    3 "Direct player" errors:
    a when trying to insert same element multiple times, using element setter (first pic.)
    b when trying to save logo as tlc file, seems related to problem a (second pic.)

I hope someone knows what to do cause i love (yes, LOVE :exclaim: ) TLC but these things are getting on my nerve and are slowing me down! aarrgh
    Thanx

2. Shelly

Shelly

To anwer your Question 3 a & b, 3a:- you have attempted to use the same Element twice straight after another or that its been grouped into a picture, Use Duplicate Object and it will be ok. 3b automatically occurs after the error in 3a has happened.

This is bad because it asks if you want to continue and if you say yes you still cannot save, so you lose everything unless you have previously saved.

Ok just checked, both my short cut keys and bring farther command are working for me, try using your second ctrl key see if that works.

3. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

yep, that is bad cause i usualy dont save inbetween that much, i know i should though so i'll try and do that i bit more. No software fix available
    then? ah well.. thanx anyway.

4. KD-did

KD-did

MasterDesign, I haven't experieced any problem when duplicating an element...but that may be because I always duplicate the last element...Lets say it is a certain swoosh I want to use to make eyelashes. I would duplicate the first swoosh and then the second swoosh and so on...

You can try getting a fresh download and re-installation. Your TLC logo files will be okay as only the program is removed. The good news is the free TLC V4 upgrade is just around the corner .

5. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi MasterD.
    I'm sorry to hear of your troubles.

Check for a PM from me (Private Message).
    I'll update you another way. I have to PM you because I'm providing an unlock key. Don't want to pass that around in an open forum.

Let me know if this helps!

- Marc

6. Flotsom

Flotsom

Master Design,

I have encountered the "Director Error" problem many times and here's what I've discovered:
    1. Once you create a Director error, there is no longer any option for future saves of that file ... you can only revert to your last save. However you can Export!

2. The most common cause of Director errors (for me anyway) was working hastily, and trying to add an element that was not actually selected yet. (e.g. I've added one element, and made some changes or perhaps not, the element setter is still showing that element in the setter's window, I click on add this element thinking to put the same image in a second time, whamo ... Director player error! Because although the image was showing in the window, it had not been reselected from the images list. Sometimes you will also see "object expected", meaning the setter didn't find one selected, and it was expecting to.) To re-add the image you must either select it again from the "Select more logo ..." pull down menu, or as Katie pointed out use Modify's Duplicate logo element.​
    So, as you've heard before and will again,"save early, save often!!

One last ditch semi-save from the director error dilema is to export what you've got, and then import it back into a new logo. After exporting the file, I recommend using transparent png, from the File menu choose new logo, and then from the File menu again choose import image. This will allow you to save as a tlc file, as well as continue working on your logo ... BUT your imported image will be a single element now, so you'll have to live with however you exported it, other than as you can modify any other single element.

Hope that helps some. :)
    :m love:

P.S. this should work on Macs & PCs

7. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

:rolleyes: thanx matey i'll keep those tips in mind as well

8. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

Happy to repport that with help of Marc i got most of it fixed so thanx to everybody so far :6:
    Now for something completely different...
    Who can tell me a bit more about the mask elements in TLC; where are the located, kan i use custom mades and please point me towards some examples please
    Thanx :TLC ROCKS

9. Shelly

Shelly

Masks you can make yourself in any paint program,basicaly its a Object with a transparent hole in the middle which you place over a another object so that you see only the part thats in the Hole. A mask is useally white but to demonstrate I have left mine blue.

Once you have made a Mask just import it into TLC
    I allways save mine in a seperate Directory first.

Attached Files:

10. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

Too easy! I didn't know i could make / manage (sub)directories( :duh:
    Any file type prefered for the mask?
    Thanx

11. Shelly

Shelly

Well it has to be either Gif or Png because of the transparent part.

12. Flotsom

Flotsom

custom made masks

These are not nearly as nice as Shelly's, but are some masks I made in AppleWorks Draw, which might be part of the problem. I'm working on eliminating the tell tale lines, with Katie's help. I didn't necessarily intend them for this particular purpose, but none-the-less ...

13. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

Wow these are making my head spin with possibilities! Could someone explain how i can make my own .png files show up in the element setter? I think that would work alot easier then to keep importing them through the menu (a set of masks ready at hand!.. you gotta lov it!)

14. Flotsom

Flotsom

I don't think modifying TLC would be advisable at this time. There's too much of a chance for conflicts with future updates. Far far safer to create a folder that you can leave on your desktop while you're working. I named mine (originally enough) "custom masks". Since it is on my desktop, and I already know what they look like by name, I can quite literally access them as fast or even faster than objects in the element setter, and import them thru the File Menu. It's literally a 3 click operation, and in the element setter it's 3 clicks at a minimum, and usually many more as I sort through the various objects looking for the one I want. And in a separate folder on your desktop they will never conflict with anything! :)

15. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

yeah i suppose so, the elements setter is not ideaal that way and there is plenty of room aroud the tlc interface to put extra folders so i'll give that a go.
    thanx ;)