Problem with quality/clarity of Logo when sizing

Discussion in 'Help wanted with my design' started by dick123, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dick123

dick123

Hello,
    I am looking for a method of obtaining a logo with a smaller size. The sizing or resampling degrades the quality of the logo. Can the original design be smaller to start in order to obtain a clearer design? Or is there another method to maintain the clarity of the logo when a smaller size is desired? Thanks, Dick
    heinz123@wi.rr.com

2. KD-did

KD-did

If this is your finished logo product it would be to your benefit to have the logo vectorized. That way your logo would have perfect color and clarity at postage or as big as a bus. If this is a work in progress and you are using an imported image the quality may hinge on the quality, file format or source of the imported image. Are you seeing the degrading when sizing in TLC or when using 3rd party software? Having more information on what you have done to this point that is producing less than satisfactory results will help get you the direct information you need .

3. dick123

dick123

Solution to degrading when resizing

Thanks KD-did,
    First of all, please understand I am a novice at this.......but am very interested in learning more. I used TLC (plus other 3rd party software, etc.) to resize and it still degraded. I didn't use an imported image. I completed the design in TLC. The resizing I used in TLC was to use the thumbnail, quarter size & full size, etc. in the exporting field. If there is a better resizing mechanism in TLC beyond that I didn't see it. I saved the image as a .jpg file.

But you say vectorize the image.........I never heard of it but that sounds great.....how do I do that? Can vectorizing work on imported images not originally designed in TLC? It sounds like ,in your responce, it depends on the quality, etc. of your imported image? And can I still vectorize my logo template instead of redoing it? And if you have other suggestions that would be useful I would appreciate it.

Thanks again, Dick

4. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

vector logos

Hi Dick.
    Welcome to the forum.

To resize your logo, try this:

After completing your logo, choose "More export options..." from the Export menu.

Once you're on this screen, you can click and drag the canvas to your desired size. The logo will shrink as the canvas shrinks. Holding the SHIFT key down at the same time you click and drag the canvas will shrink the height and width proportionality.

Check out this tutorial for a better picture of this

If you need an exact size, you can also type in your height and width into the text fields (see attached image).

Vectorizing a logo (as KD mentions above) is great if you want to increase the size of the image (to fit onto the side a bus for example). You can read a little about vectorizing your logo here: http://www.thelogocreator.com/vector_conversion.htm

Hope this helps some Dick!

Attached Files:

5. KD-did

KD-did

Unfortunately not all 3rd party resizing programs are created equal, some are worse than others when it comes to resizing . When it comes to graphics the fewer programs used the better.When the source file is huge you may want to start by prepping the source file by resize using TLC first. Size then export then clean the canvas and import the file back into TLC then complete the logo. There is an excellent 3rd party resizing program you can also use called Pixresizer It is FREE and available from http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

6. dick123

dick123

Just a THANK YOU for your great help.......Dick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.