Problem selecting Fonts

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by thouy, Jan 19, 2004.

1. thouy

thouy

I am trying out the Demo, and I am having a problem selecting a new font. Every time I drag the scrollbar down it keeps jumping back to the top. I cannot select any fonts except for the first 6 or so that are displayed in the window. Any Idea what may be causing this?

I only started experiencing this problem after I installed the 3.5 updater

2. Lats

Lats Staff Member

That sounds pretty strange :)

What are your system specs?

3. thouy

thouy

Windows XP
    Pentium 4
    512 mb ram

The only things I have running are Mcafee Antivirus & Firewall (v8), Webroot Spysweeper, Webroot WindowWasher, and Logitech Itouch.

I tried disabling all these and I am still having the problem.

I installed it on another computer of mine with similar specs and didnt get the problem. The only difference between the two computers is the one with the problem is using a Logitech Cordless Keyboard & Mouse with Itouch software, the other one isnt.

4. Lats

Lats Staff Member

A work-a-round would be to click in the page area of the scroll bar until you find the font you need. Also, pressing any letter on the keyboard will take you to the first occurrence of a font beginning with that letter - ie, pressing 'T' takes you to 'Tahoma', well on my system font list it does :)

5. ayay

ayay

Just Press F9. Then you should be able to scroll and select fonts in your system and/or TLC fonts:banana

6. Lats

Lats Staff Member

Re: Re: Problem selecting Fonts

Hey ayay :)

F9 just goes to the top of the list for me - what's it do for you?

7. ayay

ayay

Hi,

It enables scrolling thru the entrire fontlist either by dragging the slide bar on the fontlist window or by scrollwheel of the mouse.

It even enables to position the the font starting with the letter you type as you described before ,
    All these was not possible if f9 not pressed.

(Pressing F9 even before TLC is started makes all these work smoothly.
    so it seems it has something to do either with logitech mouse or winXP Iam not sure which).

Regards

8. Lats

Lats Staff Member

Cool tip for logitech users - thanks.

9. dick123

dick123

I have logitech mouse & keyboard and had the problem too.
    F9 works for me also.....dick123

10. KD-did

KD-did

I never had the issue with my Logitec keyboard and mouse.
    The update to V5.1 fixed the issue for some too.
    http://www.thelogocreator.com/updates.html

The really nice thing about F9 is that by adding a letter you don"t have to scroll through all the fonts ...F9 Z you start scrolling through the fonts beginning with Z :)

11. NPSTech

NPSTech

The problem I have seen is when you attempt to change a font to a system font you are unable to select it. You would select the text and then click the System Font button. Sometimes when you select the font face the window disappears and the font change will not take place. I can't figure out if it's only particular fonts that don't work or not. This is on a Mac running 10.5.4 and Logo Creator 5.2. I even took a brand new machine out of the box and tried this and was able to duplicate it. I hope this can be remedied, as the software was purchased to be used in a graphic arts classroom and I know this will be the big question once I deploy these machines.

12. KD-did

KD-did

NPSTech, welcome to the forum.

The font issue you are having isn't uncommon on Macs. It is a much larger problem in TLC on the Mac than PC While TLC can see the fonts the fonts are unuseable. and causes the disappearing window.
    Another issue that effects both PC and Macs is TLC can see the fonts but can't pull fonts up from sub folders which means fonts absolutely need to be in the main system folder.

I know for a fact that Marc has actively been looking into solving the issue. There is a work around and that is to do the text in another application and import it as an image into TLC. I happen to use Print Shop for Macs by Broderbund ($29.99 from Broderbund) for doing my text as it the ability to do so much more with text than TLC. When text is done as "Headlines" it has a full range of shaping text, full range of coloring including image inserting,outlining options and so much more. Print Shop is very much like WordArt in that regard.As a desktop publisher it be used to do all types projects .

To see the capabilities of Print Shop: http://www.mackiev.com/print_shop.html
    Macworld review on Print Shop:
    http://www.macworld.com/article/49872/2006/03/printshop2.html
    Order from : http://www.broderbund.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=5082&path=1,2,5082

13. NPSTech

NPSTech

So, by "outline font" does this mean TrueType? OpenType? Adobe EPS? I know I'm going to be questioned on this and I want to be prepared to answer those above me.

While I am familair with Print Shop, I think the last thing my Director or Assistant Director want to hear is another piece of software needs to be purchased for "interoperability" reasons. They have already spent funds on the M$ Office suite, the Adobe graphics suite as well as Logo Creator. I think they will go absolutely crazy if they need to buy another lab's worth of licenses for yet another application to be used as a "kludge" fix.

14. KD-did

KD-did

The good news is you already have a solution Word Art is part of M$ Office
    Using Word Art – Microsoft Office
    http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art24397.asp

The font issue with Mac version of TLC is something I simply don't understand . It isn't simply a matter of if it is TTF, OpenType or Adobe EPS type of fonts because there are failures to work across all the different types. Fonts (same formats) that don't work in TLC on a Mac will a majority of the time will work in the PC version of TLC.

From my trying to research "outline fonts" it seems to be related more to how the fonts were constructed and not so much as a type of font. Which makes why the same font being.. the same type font using TLC work on a PC but not on a Mac even more mysterious.:hairpull: