Problem printing business cards

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by pro36, Mar 23, 2006.

1. pro36

pro36

I hope this is posted in the right category:helpnow:

I saw Lunatics similar problem so I thought I'd try here. I've constructed my business card but can;t print it. I'm using LogoC v4.1 on Win XP pro and it does not give me a "printer preview" option. It only gives "print business cards" which takes me to a "Corporate Identity" web page. I tried CI and man, I was confused. After uploading the image for my cards the resulting image was so small I could hardly read it. I also viewed Jami's tutor but I still can't print the cards.

Is it impossible to print my cards locally or am I missing key steps in the process?

regards,
    pro36

2. blackknight

blackknight

I really don't know much about your problem but what comes to mind first is that when you upload your image, perhaps you were uploading the thumbnail? TLC saves 3 copies into a file when you press save as template. The file for opening in TLC to make changes; a thumbnail and a regular one for printing or viewing purposes. I hope this isn't to simplistic but the obvious thing I could think of was the thumbnail. If thats not it, I am sure someone has an answer for you.

3. KD-did

KD-did

Yes, you can have your cards printed locally...ask what your local printer needs. With a desktop publishing program you can even print them yourself and design a layout the way you want .The V4 you can not print a business card from...I think V3.6.1 was the last version you could print from.You can pickup very inexpensive business card programs at Office Depot like "Perfect Business Card Maker" for just under $10.

4. pro36

pro36

Thanx for weighing in KD-

Installed my copy of LC v3.6 but it did not include the fonts I needed. Plus, it was very quirky (couldn't select text as needed). I've got some cardmaker software i.e. Avery Design Pro 5, Business Card Printery & Belltech Busines Card designer Pro.

Unfortunately, none of these progs can import a clean image of my design. Are you sure "Printer Perfect Business Card Maker" will do the trick?

thanx,
    pro36

5. KD-did

KD-did

pro36, what you have should work... it may not be the the programs fault.What quality setting is your printer set? What DPI and format are you using for your export? Some programs can not handle all formats.And even sometimes the even printer's printhead won't give you the desired results because they have done a great deal of printing.It is amazing when it comes to business cards what a printer's heavy usage can make.It would be wise to do a printer test or try using other printers to see if you get better results.Also check your card stock... it isn't all created equal...a paper's texture can have a lot of effect on what is printed.I happen to like Maco product line better than the big "A's liine.

You might want to look at your design and eleminate any "shadow" effects for your business cards.It will look great on flyers but in small designs like on business cards it can look blurry.

I have printed 10s of thousands if not more of flyers and business cards in my time and I use Broderbunds PrintShop for my desktop publishing needs ...and that is because I need to print more than just business cards.

6. pro36

pro36

Thanx KD- I've also got bb PrintShop Deluxe 20.

I hate to be a nusuiance but here's the deal ... I've exported my work in png,jpg & gif formats at 300 & 600dpi each. My canvas size has been as large as 1280x 1002. However, when I import my largest .png image (600x470, 79.7kb) into the PrintShop's work area for blank business cards, The image is much too small and pixelates when I maximize it. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Got any helpful hints about what size comp to work with when producing business cards?

Attached is a similar image I'm working with.

thanx,
    pro36

Attached Files:

7. KD-did

KD-did

With bb PS you shouldn't be having problems. I would just use the logo graphic and do the rest of the layout(address, phone and ect.) with bbPS and (that is for being able to control the text size better)....choose business card option,then art & photos.Then make the choice of "my arts & photos.Then under file import your
    logo (the program does handle pngs.) From there "select" and it will appear on the business card template. Drag to size and place...Now to print I prefer to go under "file" and choose Print and opt for High quality. Once saved you won't have to go through the entire process again and it will remain editable.