Problem loading flash onto site

Discussion in 'The Flash Ad Creator' started by scttj99, Jan 13, 2007.

1. scttj99

scttj99

Hi,

I have a problem loading my completed flash onto my site. I have reviewed all the threads regarding this type of issue and it still does not work.

First, I am not particularly computer/technology inclined, and I just want to create the one flash file. I created my site using a program (Homestead sitebuilder) that allows you to open a field on your page and insert a media file, which then plays in that field. The only file that the field once opened will accept is the .swf file (the unmodified template). It will not let me load multiple files into the field. The unmodified template plays fine just not really what I am after.

I have loaded all elements of the assets file into a separate file folder with the original flash template and this does not affect the issue. The flash program remains the unmodified template. I don't know how to get the template to collect the info it needs to modify the template once it is on the site. It is all there but they don't play the way that they are supposed to.

I contacted Homestead to see if they could help we with this problem and they said that they don't deal with flash.

HELP!!!!!!

Scott Jones

2. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Scott. Make sure that you uploaded the exact contents that were exported from Flash Ad creator to your website. The assets folder has to be in the same directory as your index.html file. Make sure you uploaded the .swf file that was exported from the Flash Ad program not the original one that came with Flash Ad Creator. Also you might want to check and see where homestead placed the flash file you uploaded through their software. The .swf file has to be in the same place as the index.html file also.

Let me know.

Oh and Welcome to the forum. :D

3. scttj99

scttj99

Mac,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am loading the only file that is available when the "add media" window is open in Homestead.

When I hold the cursor over the icon in the window that opens in the Windows "my pictures" viewer the pop up window says that it is a shockwave flash object. When I email this file to another machine it comes up as the unmodifies template, but it plays fine on my machine. Is this the file that I should be loading?

I can't find any unmodified template file to load.

Thanks,
    Scott

4. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Hey Scott,

When you finish your flash ad you had to export it somewhere. Did you create a new folder and export your ad into that folder? You have to have a .swf file, and assets folder and the assets folder contents all in the same place for the ad to work.You can't view the ad buy itself on another machine because it don't have the assets folder with it to read your custom information.

Now as far as how Homestead works I am not sure. I don't use them. I would see if you can insert HTML code and just insert the HTML code for the flash ad into your site and then upload all the files to your host through FTP.

Now what ever you do, do not change the name of your new flash file or the assets folder. The names have to stay exactly as they are after export.

HTHs

5. scttj99

scttj99

Chris,

When I have completed the flash ad I export it to a separate folder on my PC which includes everything you say it should.

When I try and load the folder, Homestead will not allow me to load the complete folder I just created. Homestead just opens it and I chose the shockwave file, and load it into a spearate folder in Homestead. This does not work.

Then I am moving everything else in the Ad Creator folder on my PC into the Homestead folder I created afterward. When I am done everything in the Ad creator fodler in my PC is in the Folder I have created for the flash file on Homestead.

Does not work

Scott

6. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Scott 2 things.

1. Can you screen shot how your files are setup on your host for me.

2. Did you try what I mentioned above about inserting just the HTML code into your site and seeing if that made it work?

7. bond526

bond526

Won't work for me either. all files are in the same directory on web hoster and still won't work. You need to be able to send in one file. why can't we?

8. Chris

Chris Staff Member

I have not had a problem with it before.

Please explain what you are doing and if possible a screen shot of your file layout on your ftp account. Are you inserting the HTML code or are you allowing your website builder to upload the flash file?

Marc is working on a new update for FAC, and it is to fix it so you can send one file. I do not know when the update will be out.

9. scttj99

scttj99

Chris,

I just PM'd you screenshots of my homestead directory as you requested.

Scott

10. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Scott check your PMs. You have the files uploaded wrong.

11. bond526

bond526

I have tried everything I can think of. when I export the file it allows me to preview and the flash looks fine. when I upload the html file and open it on the site it is the template. I have uploaded the data file it still will not work. very frustrated. if i can't get this fixed I am afraid I will have to call on tuesday and ask for a refund. the uploading seems to be more complicated than other flash programs i have. i have not had any problems with them.
    Brian

12. scttj99

scttj99

Chris,

We are making headway. I changed the file name and the flash works.... partially. I have text but no pictures. The images are loaded under the exact same file name as they they appear in the assets file.

Nothing appears just the blank background. No empty fields.

13. scttj99

scttj99

Chris,

I was wondering if you had any thoughts on the lack of pictures in the flash program now that we got it to upload.

Scott

14. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Scott - I have been very busy. Sorry hadn't had much time to respond back to you.

The only thing I can see causing an issue is homestead itself. I would recommend instead of using homestead to upload the flash file to upload it through your ftp and then use HTML code to input the flash file where you want it.

HTHs

15. scttj99

scttj99

Chris,

Still no change. Any further thoughts? Seems to be kind of a lost cause

Scott

16. scttj99

scttj99

I should take the silence as no further advice available (I guess.).

The most annoying thing is not eating the cost of the software, but the hours and hours that I have in trying to get this thing to work and it appears that it just does not.

17. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi Scct!
    ... guess I've missed this thread!

I've put out an update to The Flash Ad Creator (version 2.0).
    I'm working on the website as we speak. I'll be posting new tutorials and better screenshots and examples.

There's a way (in version 2.0) to export your new Flash Ad without the need of the Assets folder. That should solve your problems.

Take a look here for the update info!

- Marc

18. scttj99

scttj99

Marc,

Just downloaded version two. I have no idea what my server is, so I can't export it when I click the just give the .swf option and when I save it to my machine I still have an assets folder and the same problem.

Scott

19. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Scott post the HTML code for your flash file (after it is on your site). We need to check to see how Homestead is uploading it.

20. scttj99

scttj99

Marc,

Just sent you screenshots of the file and homestead software. Maybe this will help ? I really don't know when or how Homestead converts the file to html.

Thanks
    Scott