Problem in retrieving logo with XP

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by peter2001, Apr 14, 2004.

1. peter2001

peter2001

Hi,

I have just got a free version from a computer magazine. I can create and save a logo but when I try to retrieve the software crashes with "runtime error"

Please help.

Thanks

2. KD-did

KD-did

Hello Peter 2001 and welcome to the forum!

Only TLC can open a TLC file. Also check and see if there is an association in your Folder Options.

3. peter2001

peter2001

The logos were created with v3.5? Logo Creator. Creating and saving a logo does not seem to be a problem. However, when I try to open a file, the software just crashes with a runtime error. This problem is with Windows XP Home editon only; it seems to work fine with Windows 2000.

Any clues?

Thanks

Peter2001

4. K1w1

K1w1

When you say you try and open a file, do you mean you first open TLC and then try open the file from within the program, or are you trying to open the generated file from within Windows Explorer by double-clicking ?

If it's the latter, it may be due to file associations not being set up properly at installation time if you installed TLC as anything other than an administrator on your XP box.

Similar problem was resolved with a reinstall under an Admin login on XP Pro.

HTH.

5. peter2001

peter2001

This happens when I use the Logo Creator itself to open a file (which is previously created using TLC).

I noticed in the forum that there might be a conflict with Norton Antivirus. I have closed the Norton and reinstlled the TLC but the problem does not seem to go away. Its quite frustrating. The files when opened with an old computer running Win2000 are fine and can be edited.
    Is there a problem with XP. Does anybody know what to do.

Many thanks

P2001

6. KD-did

KD-did

peter2001, you may have have you set the compatiibilty under properties. when running in XP .

7. peter2001

peter2001

Katie,

Can you please explain what do you meant by compatibility? Do you mean associating the Logo files with TLC? I have already done that - it does not help.

Still frustrated!!

Thanks

P2001

8. KD-did

KD-did

Ok, right click on the TLC icon on your desk top , you will have a menu appear..at the bottom of the list is properties...click on it.You will then see 3 tabs..the 3rd being for compatibility. :) There will be couple of choices.

The onboard compatibilty wizard maybe of some help.

Also make sure that TLC is in the list for opening up files and that your DirectX is up to date.

9. peter2001

peter2001

Sorry Katie,

It does not seem to help. I have tried all combinations from the compatibility menu (by the way, in the compatibility dropdown menu, there is no Windows XP - I have tried Win2000, and other forms but to no avail.

Just to reiterate the problem again - i can create and save a logo using TLC but cannot open the logo again - window comes up with a fatal error - "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error"

Any brilliant brain out there?

Thanks
    P2001

10. KD-did

KD-did

What does it say after "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error"????? Does it say The Logo Creator or something else?

Are you running a dual OS on the same machine?

11. peter2001

peter2001

Hi Katie,

Here is what says:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime error!

Program:...program files/The Logo Creator v3/The Logo Creator v3.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application support team for more information"

I hope it make some sense to you..

No, I am not running dual OS. I have only XP home edition

Thanks

Peter2001

12. KD-did

KD-did

Peter, it is one of the reasons I wanted to make sure that your DirectX had the latest update/s. You could redownload and reinstall without a problem.

The problem is something is causing a conflict or has corrupted a file. Many, many times this is caused by spyware/adware being on board at the time of download and installation. Spyware and adware can easily bypass your Anti-Virus, Spam and Firewall Protection. Getting rid of spyware/adware
    really helps your machine run better and with less problems.

You can check your machine out FREE at http://www.freespywarescan.org/google2/index.html
    or you can download a program like Spybot Search and Destroy ( http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download ) or Adaware ( http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ ).

After that a re-installation of TLC may still be in order.

13. peter2001

peter2001

Hi Katie,

Just spent the last few hours following your suggestions. Thanks for the spy/adware software. Managed to remove a whole heap of intruding software!

However, the exact problem still persists!

Also, uninstalled Norton AV and reinstalled TLC few times. No avail..

What next?

P2001

14. KD-did

KD-did

Good morning Peter. Hope you picked up some speed when you got rid of the extra baggage that comes with spyware/adware.

This is going to seem like a step backwards but I need to know. Are you running with the XP restore function running? If so what is the oldest date you have for restore? The reason I ask is there is just so much alloted to that function and it can cause false runtime errors and the fact it will hold files we only think we got rid of. As a rule of thumb it is best to keep a restore date within just a couple of days of when it is running at its best after making sure the changes you have made aren't going to cause any problems with all the programs on the computer.

Did make sure that the association was set in File Options again?

Try saving either a template or a make a new logo and see if the problem persist. It maybe there is something wrong with just that file.

15. peter2001

peter2001

Hi Katie,

Miracle happened !:spaz:

TLC is working fine now. I did not do anything different this morning. Perhaphs those Adware/Spyware were the culprits. Everything is working fine including Norton AV, Firewall etc.

Many thanks for your patience and help in resolving this.

Good luck!

P2001

16. KD-did

KD-did

Peter, you have been visited by the "cold" boot elves. They work their magic because the buffers got a chance to totally clear. : O-Yeah:

Thanks for sticking around and going through the process.

17. peter2001

peter2001

Thank YOU so much!!

18. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

There's that darn Norton Anti-Virus again!
    I wish I could figure out the incompatibility of it!

Glad to hear all is working for you Pete!!

- Marc