Poor Resolution:

Discussion in 'General Support' started by Lightning Woman, May 31, 2016.

1. Lightning Woman

Lightning Woman

I'm trying to make a logo for a car magnet I want to print from Vista Print and it keeps saying the resolution isn't good enough for the image to display right...

snginc likes this.
  2. snginc

snginc

Vistaprint requires the resolution for graphics to be 300dpi. The Creator 7 is set up to only export graphics at 75 dpi. You'll have to use an image editor to change the dpi of your exported image.

KD-did likes this.
  3. Lightning Woman

Lightning Woman

Well that's awful. I wonder why? 75 DPI is way low res. When I tried to export the image or open the .png or .jpg logo into Photoshop it gave me an error saying it couldn't open it because it couldn't read something within the image that is unrecognizable...

4. Lightning Woman

Lightning Woman

AND, in one of the tutorial videos, Marc says when he goes to Vista Print that you can do "coffee mugs, magnets and all kinds of stuff." I know quite a few people who need/want magnets.

5. KD-did

KD-did

Have you exported the file to your desktop and then try opening with Photoshop? I have NEVER everhad an issue. You can send me a private message with file and I will change the DPI for you. Make sure you are not trying to use the thumbnail. It may just be a setting on your machine.

snginc likes this.
  6. Lightning Woman

Lightning Woman

I am a photographer who has a pretty good feel for Photoshop and I'm exporting it, saving it as a transparent .png and then trying to open it in Photoshop but keep getting the same error. I used Fireworks without a problem. :) For the wish list, I would like to see the image DPI be at least 175 which is what I just saw the specs on Vista Print for...

Thanks,
    Trina

7. KD-did

KD-did

Never had an issue with using Photoshop on any file format in over 10 years.....must be a setting . One of the reasons I kept V5 TLC is the option to change DPI. My old Mac and still has it. My new Mac has TC 7 and doesn't have that option.

snginc likes this.
  8. KD-did

KD-did

Here is an issue you may come across with TLC/TC. It will not open a .PNG.....change to .png and the issue is cleared,

Check your export and see if you wrote it as a.PNG and not as a .png.

snginc likes this.
  9. Lightning Woman

Lightning Woman

I have the same issue with RAW files. I have an older version of Photoshop. Well, not older but not in the Cloud family. I'll do some investigated...

10. Lightning Woman

Lightning Woman

Sorry. it's .png. Just the regular export setting. :)

11. KD-did

KD-did

There are MANY FREE online image editors....always good in a pinch. What OS are you using?

snginc likes this.
  12. snginc

snginc

According to http://www.vistaprint.com/customer-...&GP=5/31/2016+4:09:23+PM&GPS=3963377114&GNF=1

For best results with most products, your image or photo should be 300 dpi (dots per inch) at the final print dimensions (full bleed size when uploading an entire product design). Simply increasing the DPI setting in a graphic program does not improve the resolution

175 DPI is for tshirts

T-Shirt images should be saved to at least 175 dpi at 100% of the dimensions at which they will print to ensure high quality printing results. Your images will be sized proportionally based on shirt size (default size is large). Bleed size does not apply to T-Shirts as the full bleed and the trim size are identical.

So I would go for 300 dpi for all images when working with Vistaprint.

KD-did likes this.
  13. Lightning Woman

Lightning Woman

Well, I converted to high DPI for mine as it worked just fine in Fireworks. I said I would put on the wishlist for future updates on The Logo Creator for the DPI to export at the minimum of 175 DPI. I said this because, when I went to put in my magnet to view, it clearly stated "Images are best if uploaded at 175 DPI." That's exactly what it said. Their words, not mine. But nevertheless, my graphics are exported with a much higher resolution than that.

14. Lightning Woman

Lightning Woman

I have the extended version of Photoshop 12 with updates.(Windows 7 OS). The only issue so far has been with RAW images because they are proprietary software files and now this. Photoshop should open these files easily. I still have not troubleshooted anything. It would just be a way the file was saved or something. I'm sure it's something simple however, I would LOVE if if the Logo Creator would export in a higher resolution. Shouldn't have to run to other software programs to fix that too.

15. snginc

snginc

Just remember that Version 5 of The Creator which had the ability to change the dpi of an image and the current version of the software are made on 2 different platforms. Which is probably the reason why its not included in the current version nor in version 6 either. We will forward your wish to Marc but it may not be possible with the current platform Marc is using to make and modify The Creator.

For example people have expressed a wish to be able to export images as svg but that is not an option. It would cause the cost of the software to be beyond the price of Marc's target market, hence the recommendation to use an image editor because The Creator isnt an image editor only a graphics creator. Some things simply arent planned to be in its capabilities.

16. Lightning Woman

Lightning Woman

The price of the software is awesome and I totally understand that exporting in .svg would drive the price up, however I'm not sure about the DPI setting. I'm not a software developer though. Thanks for your information and for forwarded what is on my wish list to Marc. :)

17. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Sorry I'm late to this discussion. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

First, have you seen Marc's video on using VistaPrint? If not you can find it here. https://www.laughingbirdsoftware.com/videos/
    Scroll down to the Tutorial Tuesday videos and find the one entitled: Put Your Logo's on Personal Items

That will explain one way to re-size your images for use with VistaPrint. Not hard to do at all. One thing other admins and Mods here recommend ... if you are going to 'print' your images, create them in TC7 as large as you can! Make that screen size 2880 x 2880 if you can! Then when you 'shrink' your image for VistaPrint ( or whatever service you want to use ) if comes out sharper! You may not even need to change the DPI for VistaPrint.

snginc likes this.
  18. Lightning Woman

Lightning Woman

Hello and thank you for your response.

Yes, I saw the video and that is where I got the idea to print and how but he doesn't mention that you really can't just export into Vista Print for a lot of applications on 75DPI. It's why a higher export resolution is on my wish list. The original post was mainly because I couldn't open an exported .png file into Photoshop because of an error. I don't know why it happened but it opened fine in Fireworks. It was just odd. I have since opened other files so I'm not sure what the problem is with this particular file. I used on of the background zap tools and saved it as a .png file. Maybe that is the only difference? Photoshop couldn't recognize something in the image...

19. Lightning Woman

Lightning Woman

I forgot...I did blow up the canvas size to as large as it would go and it didn't make any difference while trying to make a car magnet.

20. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

A lot depends upon the size of the final image needed. Our business cards print up just fine in vista print..... The actual business card template is 4 times the actual size of a business card, as measured in pixels. If you ever are sending something to vista print, don't make the final image the actual size in pixels, make it at least 3 times larger, preferably 4 times as large. I've done test uploads of various images to everything from mouse pads to coffee cups, and have had no issue.

One thing no one has mentioned so far: NEVER look in the folder that contains the template you are working on, and use that complete template image. That completed image in that folder is only 300 x 100 and is used by The Creator to display the template when viewing the MY TEMPLATES folder.

All exported images from the Creator are at 72DPI. NOw you could resample the image up to 300dpi, but it wouldn't be a perfect enlargement.

Always use the exported image for uploading, andyou shouldn't have any issues....