our new surfing logo - will it work??

Discussion in 'Help wanted with my design' started by smileeeeeee, May 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smileeeeeee

smileeeeeee

Hi,

Just wondering do you think the logo is too detailed or would it be catchy enough? Still only new to this so comments and advice are very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kieran

2. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

My 2 cents: the font style is perfect but i would loose the whit outline maybe try a darker one to make tribal text smoother and stand out from the light background. The colors are great, those "earthy" tones work. (shades of blue could be an alternative), surfing text could be bigger i think and this is for my own peace of mind, but why is the sign wrinkled? Any particular reason?
    Little fine tuning maybe but most of the work is defenitely done!
    Good job. :beer:
    MD

3. Shelly

Shelly

I would get rid of the sign doesnt match the Font. Like MD said the font is great maybe a simple swoosh with it or a differant color outline.

4. smileeeeeee

smileeeeeee

thanks very much for the advice ... it is well appreciated. Ive taken a little from column A and a little from column B from your suggestions and changed the outline and dropped the picture ... do you think it works better now or would you have any other ideas?

... oh and for your peace of mind MD :) that wrinkling in the picture is because its taken from one of my t-shirts! ... probably couldn't use it anyway so.

5. denhom

denhom

Looks great with the modifications: clean and simple, easy to adapt for stationery, signs, apparel, etc.

Good job!

6. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

Try with no swoosh and no gradient in the color. Simple and flat. Your font style is enough for your logo

7. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

So many people so many opinions, all you can do is try many different versions of the theme. Without the sign it looks kinda empty, i've taken your design and added some "surfgraphics", if you want the .tlc files to play around with, let me know.
    :beer:

8. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

#2 :)

As for a wave image, try playing with shapes to make a wave. Does not need to be literal. Something like #5 but more swirly

9. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

something like this?

10. smileeeeeee

smileeeeeee

thanks for them MD (and all the other comments), would you mind if I got the TLC files off you ... I don't have those swooshes!

Finding this pretty hard to decide on ... it seems like any top surf brands just have a really simple logo though, one that you could draw off the top off your head, like the quiksilver one.

11. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

here r the "boards", in .png so just save to harddisk and import into TLC, the complete TLC files are here:
    http://www.masterlight.com/masterdesign/tribalsurfing.zip
    (right click and save target as.)
    And i'm sure that the people at quicksiver, billabong and o'neil have spend manny restless nights over those "simple" logos!
    :goodluck

12. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

what is the font used on this logo......

other than that its a perfect design :beer:

13. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

nevermind I figured out the font name :getting n

14. Shelly

Shelly

Aggstock Regular its embedded in one of the logos. Corporate Logos set 1

Attached Files:

15. smileeeeeee

smileeeeeee

its very similar to Aggstock Regular but I used Marcom.

thanks for those TLC files by the way MD ... I never got a chance to reply to you.

Also, probably not the best place to post this but does anyone know what the story is with putting this logo on surf clothing if there is already a "Tribal" on the market making ?

Thanks

16. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

You're welcome mate,
    If the combination "tribal" & surfclothing already exists, you could have a problem it depends on how well the other "tribal" has protected the name and/ or product, even if the name is not protected but they have been in buisness for a long time and making money, you would loose a very costly lawsuite. This is based purely on situations i've dealt with here in holland and i don't know how the rules are anywhere else. (other forummembers might know)
    Anyway, bringing a product to a market wich already has the same product with the same name, will probably bring you more hassle then it's worth!
    :goodluck

17. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

better safe than sorry, and create some other catchy logo. You don't want a headache later on.

18. Shelly

Shelly

Heres my go at it

Attached Files:

19. smileeeeeee

smileeeeeee

Hey Md,

Alright there only seems to be a website in new zealand .... www.tribalsurf.co.nz and they make surfboards and print their name on t-shirts. They don't seem to be big, just a shop in auckland I think and theres no sign of any registration in europe with the words tribal and surf. If we are in Ireland and want to sell surf type clothing, accessories and boards in europe would we be allowed under the name "tribal surfing". We have the domain name "tribalsurfing.com".

The last thing I want to do is upset and Kiwi or cause a lawsuit or anything but before we go back to the drawing board it would be nice to know if we're alright. Ive emailed the new zealanders and I havent received a response yet.

Thanks again for all your help and everyone elses, it is very much appreciated.

.... by the way, what does anyone think of "celtictribe" as a name if all else fails.... don't ask about the 'tribe' fixation .... just accept it :)

Cheers,

Kieran

20. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

Sure why not?!, did you get www.celtictribesurfing.com as well........?
    :beer: :joker: :beer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.