New Version of TLC? Email 3-28-2005

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by FixitMad, Mar 28, 2005.

1. FixitMad

FixitMad

Hi!

I just received an email today from Summit Software indicating that the Logo Creator is changing to The Logo Creator Studio. Is this true? I noticed that Windows 98se users are not listed under the OS. Is this true? I still use Windows 98 and I will be totally dissapointed if that is true! :17:

2. KD-did

KD-did

The Summitsoft product ("Logo Design Studio" is a different animal altogether and a different product altogether.

Laughingbird Software and Summit have parted ways. They are now independant of each other.

3. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hello Fixit!
    Thanks for the post.

Yes, KD is correct, the SummitSoft product is NOT The Logo Creator :)
    Summitsoft has created a new product and is selling it independantly of Laughingbird Software.

I'm about to launch version 4.0 of The Logo Creator which WILL be Windows '98 compatible :D

Let me know if you have any questions about any of this!

- Marc

4. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

is 4.0 to rival summitsoft or just a software release(upgrade) :beer: :beer:

5. Mr Laughingbird

4.0 has been in the works for some time.

However, to answer your question ... both! :)
    4.0 will be a free upgrade for current users!

- Marc

6. MODCreations

MODCreations

Right on....

Marc as Kenny Wallace said in the WJay stinger commerical "you are the man"

7. FixitMad

FixitMad

Thanks for clarifying the information!

Hi Marc and Katie,

Thanks for clarifying that information I received from Summit. Too bad for them but I'm sticking with the "original". I think it seems a bit unhonest when they seem to be using the same colors as the "original" box retail version of your software. Seems misleading but I'm glad I posted this question here. Good to hear you are making another update that WILL still be available for us Windows 98 users!

Thanks Marc for making such an Awesome product!

FixitMad :banana

8. denhom

denhom

dumpcable, i love your avatar: that is how i feel so many nightzzzzzzz......

9. FixitMad

FixitMad

Version 4.0

Marc,

Thanks for letting me know that you are still keeping the Windows 98 compatability with your new version 4.0 that you are working on. I still cannot believe that Summit Soft is using the same colors as the original Logo Creator box for retail. I would think that you could do something about that in terms of breach of contract or something.

Summit using the same colors and box design to the original Logo Creator is very very Dishonest. I'm wondering if a post somewhere so you can clarify this will hopefully help down the road. In their email they posted differences in the program. (Seems to me they are trying to be like Photoshop)

I'm very happy to hear you will be releasing version 4.0 for free? Awesome! I cannot say enough about this fine piece of software you have created. Keep up the good work and forget Summit . They have overstepped the Legal area. : O-Yeah:

FixitMad

10. kosmo

kosmo

Actually, the retail box was created by Summitsoft, so they did not mistep their legal bounds.

Although I agree that The Logo Creator is a great little program, I found the Summitsoft one to be just as easy to use and pretty cool in itself (granted I only tried the demo available on their website), nothing even close to as daunting as Photoshop.

Just my two cents...

11. Mr Laughingbird

Hi Kosmo.

Yes, you are correct, SummitSoft did create the artwork for the 'old' retail boxes. No worries there. What I'm a bit bugged about, if I can be honest, is their use of the "Comparison" chart. They compare their new product to The Logo Creator by saying things like:

Professionally Designed Objects: Logo Design Studio: Yes, The Logo Creator: No
    ( Of course The Logo Creator contains Professionally Designed Objects! Their statment is completely untrue. )

Creative, Designer Fonts: Logo Design Studio: Yes, The Logo Creator: No
    ( I assume they think The Logo Creator is made up of Times Roman and the Ariel font? There are over 75 creative fonts to use in The Logo Creator )

And the biggest one that bothers me:

Object Resolution: Logo Design Studio: 300dpi, The Logo Creator: ONLY 72dpi
    ( The Logo Creator has been able to export to high resolution since version 3.1 ... almost 2 years now! )

They've plastered the above statements everywhere. On their site, on the retail box and in their mailings.

They've also completly confused the public by using the same box artwork as The Logo Creator.

I'm getting dozens of letters asking about "The new version" and alot of users seeing the same box and saying "I've already purchased this! Why are they calling it a different product?"

- Marc

12. denhom

denhom

Marc, did you pay them to design your packaging? If so, then you own the rights to it: they should not be using it legally.

Sometimes things like this happen: we'll do our best to keep people straight.

13. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

i wonder if you seen the comparison chart on the part that says trademark / copyright TLC is mark as NO.

what do they mean by that??? I hate mudslinging!

14. FixitMad

FixitMad

Trademark & Copyright

Hi,

I've seen the comparison to Trademark & Copyright guidelines. I'm assuming they talk about what you can and cannot do with the logo's? Who knows. I know Logo Creator talks about some guidelines so basically I am still thinking that Summit is trying to mislead people to their product. The whole thing about professionaly designed objects and they say no to TLC. How nice. I believe they used that when promoting TLC to begin with. Go to the Logo Creator Expansion Pack 1 and you will see the word professionally designed. http://www..com/CandyPress/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=24 AND if you look under the FAQ for TLC you will see this :
    "Q. What IS The Logo Creator? What does it do?

A. The Logo Creator does just what its name implies. It creates Logos. Logos for your small business, logos for your web site, logos for your client's web site. The LogoCreator is the fastest way to get a professional, high quality logo. It's made up of professionally created logo templates. Each template can be customized in countless ways.
    The Logo Creator is a do-it-yourself program. You can sit for a few minutes and create your new logo, or sit for a few hours and play with all of the different ways you can turn one of the templates into a highly customized logo."

(I added the color red for emphasis)

I almost forgot to mention this. This is in reference to the Resolution question under Summits FAQ:

"Q. When I export or print in high resolution, why does the image seem smaller when it's finally printed?

A. When printed, an image with a high resolution contains more, and therefore smaller, pixels than an image with a low resolution. For example, a 1-by-1-inch image with a resolution of 72 dpi (dots per inch) contains a total of 5184 pixels (72 pixels wide x 72 pixels high = 5184).
    The same 1-by-1-inch image with a resolution of 300 dpi (which is what The Logo Creator uses when printing) contains a total of 90,000 pixels. Higher-resolution images usually reproduce more detail
    When the image resolution is higher than the monitor resolution, the image appears larger on-screen than its specified print dimensions. ForÊexample, when you display a 1-by-1 inch, 144-dpi image on a 72-dpi monitor, it appears in a 2-by-2 inch area on-screen. Because the monitor can display only 72 pixels per inch, it needs 2 inches to display the 144 pixels that make up one edge of the image. "

(I added the color red for emphasis)

So... Basically they are misleading about the Professionally created logos and the resolution.

There is my two cents worth.... :lol:

15. Mr Laughingbird

HA!
    Nice catch Fixit! :)

The Logo Creator has been rated number 1 in the Small Business category since July of '04! Consistantly every month. It's no wonder they want to copy it (they've been working on the product since November of last year!)

... but I wish they would be up and honest about it all.

- Marc

16. denhom

denhom

So, Marc, any hints or teasers about v4 of the best logo maker on the planet??

17. Mr Laughingbird

:D
    Thanks Denhom.
    Sure, I can give you a teaser or two...

- New 'objects' finder. I'm creating a way to view more objects at a time.
    - A direct link to the new Corporate Identity Builder! Create a business card, letterhead and envelope with the push of a button (and your newly exported logo of course!) This will be a new online service (free to users of the software!)
    - A direct link to my new partner LegalZoom.com to get info and help on trademarking and copyright info
    - a new Shape builder. Squares, Circles, Triangles...

Just a few of the enhancements in v4.0!

And wait until you get a load of The Logo Creator - Professional Edition. Think Vector and Flash Logos.

...But that's all I'm going to say about it for now. :)

- Marc :banana

18. KD-did

KD-did

Thank you for the nice compliment. :PC love: It is all too easy to lose time when making logos.

19. blackknight

blackknight

Hi Marc, do you have any kind of a timeline when v4.0 might be out ie.. days, weeks, months etc. just curious
    Greg

20. MODCreations

MODCreations

Sniff sniff

hehe I smell vectorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :Computer: my fingers will be falling off. Release the hounds master. =) Way to go Marc keep up the great and talented work.