New user needing help!

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator Gallery' started by dperkins, Feb 8, 2004.

1. dperkins

dperkins

I have just begun using the Logo Creator software. I can't say that I'm all that savy with graphics, but love the ease of using this program.
    I do have questions that some of you "veterans" can probably guide me through:
    1. I created on logo to use, but when we went to create a plastic banner using this logo, Kinkos ended up creating the logo with a different looking font. Apparently they didn't have the particular font I chose to use in the logo. How do I "embed" the fonts I choose in a logo, so that any medium (print, online, etc.) will look the same?
    2. Hexastar, I have seen some very nice logos created by you, in some the threads that I have read through. I particularly like the clipart you choose to use. It's not juvenal, like some of the images I have seen. Would you mind giving me some of the online sources that you use for your clip art? Any other sources that anybody has that can provide some good graphics images & clip art?
    3. Considering that I am pretty much a graphics idiot (for now), are there simple tips that I can follow that will make my "creations" more easily useable in my various projects?

Looking forward to some responses from you well-seasoned experts.

2. jamirae

jamirae

welcome to TLC.

what format did you send the logo in to Kinko's? I would think a graphic image which is a raster shouldnt need any fonts embedded with it as when it is saved as a raster (i.e. jpg, gif, png, tif) it becomes a graphic rather than a font.

A high resolution PNG image should have done the trick nicely for you.

3. LogoCreek

LogoCreek

dperkins

If you want you can send me the file you took to kinko's and I can better understand what the issue was for them.

(besides my website and other things I do for a tiny bit of $, I also am in sales for Kinko's)

- Erik
    www.LogoCreek.com

4. Hexastar

Hexastar

Hi,

I use quite a few clipart sites. One of my favorite is Clipart.com, but it costs money to join, however you have access to millions of clipart that you can download. Another I use is ClipsAhoy.com.

The best thing to do to find FREE clipart on the internet, is to do a search in Google and you can sort through which ones you want, etc.

I really like Clipart.com because you can do a search for which area you are looking for. Ex: if you are looking for Medical Clipart, etc.

I hope this helped you. Good luck!

5. jamirae

jamirae

ah, Erik.. your "secret" life is revealed! Kinko's, eh? That's a good thing to know for future questions about printing/copying and such. and a good thing that you are one of the regulars here! :banana

6. LogoCreek

LogoCreek

JR

Yup... My secret life! :)

I have also worked as a Mgr of a Digital Tradeshow Printing Comapny. So, I have some insight..

- Erik
    www.LogoCreek.com

7. dperkins

dperkins

Wow, I am impressed. Thanks, everybody for your responses.

I gave the logo to Kinko's in high res jpeg format. But they asked me to idnetify each font.

I talked to another printer, who does business cards for this customer, and he also wanted me to embed the fonts into the jpeg?!

I am hoping that as I use this program for other projects, I won't have to be limited to just the fonts that a particular printer, newspaper, banner maker, etc. might have in their system.

Obviously, I have a lot to learn here.

8. dperkins

dperkins

Nicole,
    Thanks for your input. I'll just have to spend more time looking through these sites to see what I can use.

Erik,
    I am attempting to attach the jpeg file here, for you to llok at. Yur input would be greatly appreciated to see how I can use this and keep consistency in all uses:

9. LogoCreek

LogoCreek

dperkins

ok, a questions for you.

1. what size poster / banner were you trying to get printed?

do me a favor, email me the jpeg file and the TLC file to

Info@LogoCreek.com

- Erik
    www.LogoCreek.com

10. LogoCreek

LogoCreek

dperkins

My suggestion for you would be to export it as a 300dpi TIFF

even if you give Kinko's a PDF

the only thing I can think of is the text looks askew and they (kinko's) might think there is a font issue whrn they printed it.

all but the Main text line looks a bit off

- Erik
    www.LogoCreek.com

11. dperkins

dperkins

Erik,
    Thanks for the help.
    Yeah, I think that my chioces of fonts makes them look askew, like you said. I have seen that with several of the fonts I have chosen to try. Has anyone else noticed this at all?

I met with one of the younge "banner kids" at the local Kinko's. They are going to try to work with me closer on these logos and fonts. They prefer EPS files for use on large banners like the one we created (4'x16'). Is there any way to save these logos as EPS files that I have overlloked?

12. Hexastar

Hexastar

Anytime dperkins, anytime :)