New User? Begin here...

Discussion in 'Tips and tricks' started by gcuneo2, Apr 15, 2014.

1. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

This is an experiment, in part to a customer request for basic info... All feedback appreciated... and of course this is work in progress. I was thinking about including hyperlinks to more detailed info, but elected to just keep it simple.... I've added some stuff, and changed the formatting so there is only one topic per page.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Affinity and KD-did like this.
  2. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

I like it! Still needs some work...I like the PDF much better than the other option. You mention in the topic 'What really happens when you install a Laughingbird Software Product' that all the templates get installed. That's only accurate in an install of the FULL product. Doesn't include the v6.8 upgrade that seems to be giving so many users problems. No templates get installed with that. Should also include information for MAC users when talking about the documents directory. Might have to get with KD-did for that. Your on-line example of the logo, the small pics don't match the displayed logo. The PDF was correct. Where you posted the link to the main site, I would include the link to the forum (for users that stumble upon this document) as well as links for finding past orders.

Over all, I like the idea. I like the idea of the PDF much better though. Marc could even include it with future downloads. Might save us all some work!

MARCELLINE M ROMARY and gcuneo2 like this.
  3. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Good feedback thanks! I did all that over my morning cuppa joe.... I'm trying to build my own "database" or all the responses I've ever given--- which I figure covers just about most issues. I don't like looking through all my old responses for "than one answer I gave that guy six months ago"...... p.s. I don't know anything about MACS other that you can get a big one at Mcdonalds!

4. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

I know what you're sayin' about MACs, but if you're gonna do this, might as well do it all! I'm sure KD-did or Marc can give you the answers you need for MAC. :chicken dance:

5. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

I was playing with that online manual software, and it sure looks pretty. I remember buying software about 15 years ago, like version 1.0 of "the printshop"-- it came with a manual about 2 inches thick--- contained alot of stuff in it like a catalogue of all the graphics, of course online info with hyperlinks is the way to go. I also like just printing up simple instructions to stuff-- I hate flipping between open tabs-- I often just copy and paste info into a word document and print up what I need....

There is an awful lot involved when coming up with a "users manual"-- consistency of appearance, how images are labelled, stuff like that.

Ultimately, I think people don't care about a "user's manual" anymore-- they just google what they need, looking for a specific answer, and leave it alone.

I often go the my local library and check out their computer related books --- painful detail, but also a painful price!

6. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

I'm one of those! I still like 'flipping' through a manual if it's something involved, like programming. But if I'm just looking at how something works or functions, I google! :cowboyno: I guess you're right. The on-line method may be the way to go.

KD-did likes this.
  7. KD-did

KD-did

The Mac is pretty much the same EXCEPT for the option for finding the DOCUMENTS file and the issue with Snow Leopard machines. :big grin

8. George Miller

George Miller

My windows system needed to be partially re installed ouch.
    Now I'm looking for the first version 6.0 then upgrade 6.6 then 6.8 upgrade
    Tried to just install the 6.8 and all the original templates gone.
    Can't uninstall the 6.8 version How do I start over

9. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Did you have the FULL install of v6.8, or just the upgrade? The upgrade is just the core program. No templates or add ons. If that is what you have, you'll have to install v6.x first, then the v6.8 upgrade. If you have a backup of v6.0 simply install it. Then install v6.8 again. Should fix things.

If you do not have your v6.0 then re-download it ( if it is still available ) https://laughingbirdsoftware.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Click on 'Order Look up'. If you do not have the information, or it is no longer available to you, you'll have to wait for one of the admins to help you out.

Good place to start ...
    http://www.laughingbirdsoftware.com/forum/threads/new-software-need-some-help.12004/

Then read through this help file.

Let us know how it goes. If you need more help you may get on-line help from gcuneo2 ( one of the admins here ) as he provides Live Support from time to time.

Attached Files:

snginc and gcuneo2 like this.
  10. George Miller

George Miller

Thanks, was able to get the original install files from my backup drive.
    Got everything working but still having trouble getting my saved templates
    because the folders name was changed.

11. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Are you talking about the main working folder? Or the individual folders for each template?

In v6.8 you created a 'working' folder when you first started the program. Try just copying your saved logos to THAT folder and see if they show up.

Now, if you are trying to access logos create PRIOR to v6, ( v5, 5.2 or whatever ) then that won't work. Logos created with versions earlier than v6 are not compatible with v6. You can use the graphics, but you'll have to re-create and save the logos using v6.8

You can however, have several version of TLC installed on your computer. They will not interfere with each other.

snginc likes this.