new coffee mug needs help

Discussion in 'Help wanted with my design' started by Flotsom, Mar 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flotsom

Flotsom

I'm trying to re-work my coffee mug avatar, and I've got this far, but I think it needs a little help ... the handle especially, but also the coffee itself doesn't seem quite right. :bonk:

I've tried several lines and swooshes to try to give it a little better definition. I've looked through the gallery and at Shelly's stuff (really inspirational!) ... but don't have near her artistic touch, or anyone else's for that matter.

I love coffee, especially foamy cappuccinos. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. : o_please

Thanks, Layne

2. Shelly

Shelly

Maybe the Handle in a differant position ? :confused:

Attached Files:

3. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

I don't have the library of objects up right now, but try and find a fancy "fun" font and use a simple question mark ( ? ) for the steam. Then cover or try to hide the period.
    If Shelly can make a zoo out of TLC I think anything can work :)

4. Flotsom

Flotsom

No Kidding!! Her zoo is awesome!! I like the foam she put on my coffee too!

5. Shelly

Shelly

heres another go :57:

Attached Files:

6. Flotsom

Flotsom

Wow! Excellent! You've inspired me to keep playing with it, but if I tire may I have permission to take one of the two you've done? :) Hopefully you can see below I've played with the handle some ... same one so far, but added a shadow. Still needs a highlight, & your coffee (either one) is much better!

7. Shelly

Shelly

use whatever you like,glad you like them.

shelly

8. WHBea

WHBea

Hi Flotsom

Thought I would give it a try... I Created Cup with the shapes and dingbat fonts in TLC. : )

9. Flotsom

Flotsom

Wow! Shapes and dingbat fonts ... Katie's mentioned those in several posts too! There's a lot in TLC to discover, if I could just do without sleep I'd have it made. ;)
    That's a really nice cup of coffee, and putting the handle in back works nicely too!

Thank you all for the super work, and ideas. I still have a little energy left, so I'm going to keep on working it a little longer, but it's becoming increasingly hard to resist picking from the above. :;yessir:

10. WHBea

WHBea

Another Thought

But I drew this one in a font creation program and put it together in TLC... : )

11. WHBea

WHBea

Hi Flot

Second thoughts about a color scheme... : )

12. Flotsom

Flotsom

:lol: Wow! Wow! Wow! I can barely keep up!!
    Okay, here's as good as I can get my own version ... I played with everything I could think of, and all the suggestions. I've moved the handle and brought it back, tried question marks for steam and decided against it, tried a variety of swooshes as well, but they all seemed too much at odds with the cup as it was. I couldn't get close to Shelly's wonderful foam! So I'm done ... for now at least.

I like all the wonderful work, and all of it better than my cup. So for now, I'm putting mine on the shelf, and making a cup of coffee while I ponder.:)
    Thank you, both Shelly and WHBea for the artwork, and Borpean for the suggestions!! :35:

13. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

14. Flotsom

Flotsom

:lol: No offense taken! The Name would have to be Flotsom & Jetsom to be complete. :) Coffee and pastries, right? However, though I really enjoy the moniker, the actual definition might put customers off ... sort of like "Lemon's Used Cars" ... flotsom and jetsom (also spelled flotsam & jetsam) referring to a debris field basically.;)

WHBea really did make a great Logo though didn't he!?!

15. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

as long as those debris field contain doughnuts, I am there :) (just kidding...maybe)
    I enjoy a good cup too Flot...keep at it, on your avatar.

16. Flotsom

Flotsom

Donuts and coffee, it doesn't get much better than that! :)
    I will keep tinkering with my avatar, meanwhile I've decided to use WHBea's ... the one that says, "Flot".
    Thanks again for everyone's help ... my cup improved greatly as a result.

17. WHBea

WHBea

FlotRevisited

How 'bout another take on the coffee cup and mouse. I did this illustration in a 3d program I'm learning and used your Flot Cup as a model... : )

18. Flotsom

Flotsom

That looks like it must be a pretty fun program, Bill! It looks very real! However, somehow something is lost in the "correctness" & "realism" of the rendering. It's very hard to put my finger on exactly, but where the 3D looks real, the original drawing you did for me looks inviting.

I bet you could really do some impressive renderings of architectural presentations with it! Especially if a customer wanted to see what a remodeling or renovation idea would look like ... almost like having a model of it in front of you!

Btw, I need to thank you again and mention here, how many positive comments I have received on the Avatar you made for me. I have had to tell more than one person who thought I must be incredibly talented to have made it, that it was in fact a gift from you and you would be the person to contact for tips on how to develop that sort of skill! It has truly become part of my "persona". : O-Yeah:

You're still :number: The One

19. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

Well, I'd say your learning pretty darn well!! What program are you working with? I used to be able to work with SoftImage (which is now Maya I believe) but that software is a wee bit pricey.
    What ever it is you are using is really good. How long did it take you to creat the coffy and mouse?

20. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

I don't think I would recognize you if you used something other than the coffee and mouse. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.