Need help with internet connection

Discussion in 'General Support' started by tkmorin, Mar 2, 2015.

1. tkmorin

tkmorin

I'm hoping someone has had this problem and can help me with it.

When I open TLC v 6.8.0, I am greeted with this:
    "Latest announcements cannot be displayed. Please check your Internet connection.
    The Logo Creator is still fully functional."

This has been going on for two days now. While the program does work without an internet connection, I still like to read the "news" as well as see the list of previous posts. And since I can write on this forum, obviously my internet is working well. I have even re-installed the program to see if a missing file could be had that way.

Can anyone help me with this? Maybe a setting somewhere?

Thanks everyone!

2. KD-did

KD-did

The problem you are experiencing isn't related to Laughingbird or TLC. The usual culprit there is a firewall setting on a Windows machine.
    View attachment 1

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    snginc and tkmorin like this.
  3. tkmorin

tkmorin

Thank you, KD. Ok, so I added TLC in the allowed program through firewall. I clicked on both private and public. I still get the error message after restarting TLC. But I'm going to reboot and see if that works. Thanks again!

4. tkmorin

tkmorin

I rebooted my pc, then clicked on TLC and was given the same error message - like the one you attached exactly. I checked again and sure enough, TLC was checked as an "allowed" program. Weird. I can still use the program, though, which is great. I don't suppose you had another idea?

Thank You for helping me.

Teri

5. KD-did

KD-did

Look over your programing...any that are anti-virals or security oriented might also have firewalls included. You might take a look at your automatic update setting also.

If you have had a power outage recently.... you could try turning off any routers and then turning it back on. I live in area where "brownouts" are NOT uncommon and my router needs to be turned off for a couple of minutes so it smoothly again.

snginc likes this.
  6. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Just disable your firewall and antivirus completely for a minute and see if it works. Then you'll know for sure if that is an issue or if something else is interfering. Just don't forget to turn everything back on!

tkmorin likes this.
  7. tkmorin

tkmorin

The router "route" I know I can do. The other option you suggest I'm not sure of. Do you think that I can find a culprit in the TLC directory? And do you mean Windows update?
    But yep, I'll try resetting the router, that easy enough!
    Thanks again, KD! I really appreciate this. :-)

Teri

8. tkmorin

tkmorin

I'll try that too if the router doesn't fix this. Thank you very much!

Teri

9. KD-did

KD-did

Your problem has NOTHING to do with TLC or Laughingbird at all. It is from a recent software update or a setting on your computer. There is no internet control with the graphic software.There is absolutely no control or ability to turn off an update notice for TLC....

snginc likes this.
  10. tkmorin

tkmorin

So, taking all your advice, I now have an internet-capable TLC. I restarted the router, made sure it was on the OK list of programs. And then, when that didn't work, I did a system restore. It worked! And of course that means I haven't lost anything important by doing that (i.e. graphics made with TLC).

So thank you all for your patience and help - all is much appreciated!

Teri

snginc likes this.
  11. KD-did

KD-did

Teri, his is the perfect time to make a BACKUP copy of TLC for yourself. It will save you lots of time and aggravation."explaination"Then it is a case of uninstall and reinstall.

snginc, gcuneo2 and tkmorin like this.
  12. tkmorin

tkmorin

Good point, KD! This really is the best time to do it! Thanks - sometimes the obvious is not immediately recognized. :-)

Teri

13. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Well over half the zendesk support requests are for redownloads- customers quite often do not backup their original downloaded program files. I also highly recommend once you get everything installed that you also backup your laughingbird documents folder every couple of weeks. That folder you created when you first installed the program that all you stuff gets saved to? You better back that up as well. I'm talking at least once a week if your use of The Laughingbird stuff for a business. You making logos for clients? You better be backing your custom made logos daily...

I actually have backups of everything on 4 different sources: An external HD, a USB thumb drive used just for laughingbird stuff, A big SD chip, and of course In the cloud.

Currently my Laughingbird Documents folder contains 1.9GB of data--- all my program files: 5.73GB.....

I also have older backups on a hard drive I keep in a box in a closet.....

I take all these precautions, and I don't have a business that depends upon all my Laughingbird stuff.

snginc and KD-did like this.