Need help with companies logo

Discussion in 'Help wanted with my design' started by HRB, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HRB

HRB

Hey everyone, I used to post here when fiddling with my own site and logo. A year ago or so, a long time friend of mine asked me to create his website and logo. Keep in mind I have no html knowledge then or now. So I did my best. Anyways what happened was he picked out a logo he liked and was so stubborn I could not talk him out of it. You can view this disaster at www.hrbsmallengine.com The font, color scheme, design, everything is just off and incorrect. Well he has come to me to update his website, but this time, I want to do it right, I have his website almost completley redesigned, but before I can commit to the template I will create I need a logo. He does like his current logo, so if anyone wants to improve what I horribly created please do. Otherwise I'll include the store colors and some pictures, I have been tossing around in my head.

Color 1 Grayish blue/ possibly a greenish blue
    Secondary color a dark green that goes well with the blue, other option would be of course grass green.

Hope this helps, I am not including any of my current designs as it will just confuse you on what I am going for. Simple is sweet. Keep that in bind. Nothing outrageous. Just 2-3 colors 1 graphic or low key design. Thanks for your help. I'll keep in touch once a day to see if anything gets going.
    -Dustin-

Attached Files:

2. awalck

awalck Staff Member

Hey Dustin, somehow I missed your post. I'll see what I can brainstorm. Soon - Allen.

3. HRB

HRB

Hey thank you, I just assumed the forum was dead. I look forward to working with you. If it helps he wants to keep the same template as he currently has, just everything else updated. So if you visit www.hrbsmallengine.com you'll see what the template will look at, if that helps you create a logo that goes well with it. Talk to you soon.

4. awalck

awalck Staff Member

Well, we'll revive the thread a little. Here's my first idea. I found a contrasting yellow that worked great for the letters "HRB" for the one on the left, but I don't think the "Deere" folk would appreciate it. But it did look cool. Anyway...working on some more...

Attached Files:

5. HRB

HRB

Hey thanks for the first crack at it. I can see what you mean by using the green then yellow lettering! I didn't think much of it, until I envisioned the yellow. I like the image, maybe I am wrong or stare at too many parts these days, but I believe that's a gasket you used. I'll show it to Rob, and see where he goes, along with puttin it on my template to see how it fits. I also must say that the logo will not be just for the website but for letterhead, T-shirts, and marketing material alike, but also we wish to to use it for a lightbox sign outside the store. So we may need to stick with something simple for a background, and emphasize more on the lettering and possibly a unique branding image. It's a shame he is named HRB it takes away from alot of creativity I've noticed. Anyways I'll diagnose it and see what he thinks since he's about 10 feet away from me, and i'll get back. Thank you!

6. HRB

HRB

Well the reply was, it's different. then a "heh gaskets" Let's try this, as you see my logo was not only uncoordinated with coloring, but also ok well it just plain sucks in my opinion. But he likes it. So...how about something easy? can you make the logo I made, but professional looking? :P It's hard for me to utilize it when I stare at it in disgust, and while I re-design the website I keep going back to it and shaking my head. It's distracting me, which probably is a good thing since I can't exactly design a proper website without a solid logo and color scheme. If you do design the logo similar to the one already made, it doesn't have to be exact, just keep in mind for some reason or another he likes it.

Here what I have tried and failed. I have had web 2.0 style leafs, trees, grass, mower blades, text only, different arrangements. I have probably attempted 50 different logos. This guy is not only stubborn, but has how do I say it politely, poor creative vision? I can only say that because he has been my best friend of 15 years plus...but just like you are for me, it's all about the client, and what they like. So that is why I have come to you, I do not think like a designer, nor do I consider his wants or needs when designing his logo and website, I think about what I would want and like. So it's time to outsource, and leave it to a professional, or at the very least someone who enjoys what they do, and does it well. Sorry so long, I tend to ramble late at night. Thanks again for you time and hard work!

7. awalck

awalck Staff Member

No Problem Dustin! I'll give it a go this afternoon. I complete understand. "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink". :)

8. awalck

awalck Staff Member

Alright here's some more ideas... I just don't know how to make the current logo 'more professional'. It's a difficult logo to embroider and screen print, but anyway... we'll keep at it.

Attached Files:

9. HRB

HRB

Yes it's a very difficult logo to work with. Very fusturating. I've tried looking at competitors but the small engine repair is a very unprofessional industry, those that do have websites are very beginner quality, and those who are a step above that do not have logos, or logos that make you toss in your sleep. I have been trying to tap my creativity to find something that has nothing to do with the industry and brand it into our industry, like John Deere has done, but I don't believe I carry that talent. We'll go with the template I have mentioned, we'll tailor that the best we can, then later maybe something fantastic will pop in someone's head. Thanks for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.