Need help to create a large banner for print (How to)

Discussion in 'Help wanted with my design' started by allsinc, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allsinc

allsinc

I need to create a banner that is 67"WX36"H and saved at 200dpi. My printing company says that saving it at 1/2 scale @ 200dpi will allow them to print it to the needed dimentions without losing any clarity.

Can you tell me how to tell if the canvas is that size. I dont know the starting dimentions im not sure what the 560X420 is in inches, cm, pixel or what. Please explain.

Im a real newby at all of this.

Thanks again.

:image10:

2. OldenGray

OldenGray

A banner 67" x 36" is 13,400 pixels x 7,200 pixels. 560 p x 420 p is 2.8:" x 1.2". That's pretty small to be workable. I would multiply 2.8" x a factor of 5 to boost the size of the layout up to 14" and the same with 1.2" which gives 6". So your beginning layout size would be 14" x 6", which is far more workable. Hope this helps.
    Olden

3. KD-did

KD-did

Usually for the best spot-on printing results it is best to have the file to vectorized. Once converted to .EPS (vectorizing) it won't matter if it is to be printed very small or as big as a bus once the file has been vectorized. There is another advantage for you and that is you will never have to worry about how big your canvas must be to get the best printing , you'll be able to work with what ever size works best for you.You won't have a distortion from working on a canvas that runs the risk of pushing the limits of your image files. Most printers are use to working with EPS files.

4. OldenGray

OldenGray

Yes, KD-did, you are correct. Vectorizing the file would be the way to go; but it still has to be to scale. I.E., the right proportions, otherwise, even if you were to enlarge the art in one dimension, the other would be incorrect.

There is a nice open source program to vectorize files called INKSCAPE. There is no cost for the program.

Vector art is simply the conversion of the art into lines rather than pixels and can be enlarged to any dimensions without loss of detail. These are usually *.svg files, although I am not certain if *.eps files are vector files. KD-did, do you know if *.eps files work as vector files? I would be interested to know as a local signmaker has requested several logos I did for a charity golf tournament be converted to vector files. Thanks
    Olden

5. Randy...

Randy... Guest

6. KD-did

KD-did

Yes Olden,eps work as vectors. If you use a service such as logo2vector.com they return to you an .eps file but if you have Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop onboard you can do it yourself.

7. OldenGray

OldenGray

KD-did
    Well, DUH, and all this time I've had the means to do vector art and didn't know it. :image10-1: I have Adobe Illustrator and will give your suggestion a shot. Thanks for the help.
    Olden

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.