Need help removing white background

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by sharic, Nov 29, 2006.

1. sharic

sharic

I have imported a graphic into a logo template directly from my Photoshop program. In Photoshop I removed the white background of the graphic using both the magic and/or background eraser tools. Upon importing the "cleaned up" graphic to my Logo Creator template that has a colored background, I discovered the graphic still had a lot of white surrounding the image so I can't use it unless I put it on a white background. Upon discovering the problem I used the Logo Creator "remove white backing" option, but it didn't eliminate any of the remaining white colored pixels.

I tried another alternative: I imported the graphic without using any of the background removal techniques in Photoshop. I just used the "remove white backing" option in Logo Creator, but there was no change.

Can someone offer a solution to my problem? Is there a way to completely remove the white background surrounding an image? Thanks!

2. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Post the image here and let us see it?

3. sharic

sharic

Re Posting Image

Chris,

I'm very new to the forum. And to make things worse I'm not as well versed in how to do thing. Guess that's obvious, lol. Anyway, I do not know how to post the image here. Sorry! If you can tell me how to do that ... I'll certainly give it a try. Thanks for your reply.

4. Chris

Chris Staff Member

When you are making a post just scroll down till you see manage attachments. Click the button then choose your image and click upload. :D

Welcome to the forums.

5. sharic

sharic

Here is the graphic

I've attached the image, as requested. Actually, I have several images to choose from ... in various stages of trying to remove the white background. The one I attached is the largest size I have saved and does not reflect any attempts to remove the background ... however, I did enhance or change some of the colors in the bird. I hope this is what you wanted to see. BTW, this image was not created on a computer ... I guess that's obvious. It was created for me by a graphic artist about 15 years ago or so. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

6. Chris

Chris Staff Member

I can remove the white background for you if you want just let me know. Also with TLC you are probably not going to get rid of the white background 100%.

Let me know and I can help you with this image.

7. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Here is the parrot above with no white on it anywhere. Try this and see how it works.

[​IMG]

Just right click and save as to use it.

8. Ohiosweetie

Ohiosweetie

Nice work Chris!

9. KD-did

KD-did

What file format were you importing? After doing any image editing try saving your work in png file format. You then should have no issues with a white background on your images.

10. sharic

sharic

Many Thanks!

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for fixing my graphic, Chris. It is beautiful! I never dreamed I'd have such a perfect image to work with. And I appreciate the "heads up" re the png file format, KD-did. I'm really blown away by the help I've received on this Forum. You all are obviously a great community of people and I'm excited to have discovered this resource. As you know, I'm a newbie. Being a newbie is frustrating no matter what you are trying to learn so please accept my heartfelt "thank you" for giving me the opportunity to use the full capability of Logo Creator ... an absolutely amazing program! :thankyou:

11. sharic

sharic

Please see my previous post this morning for a big "thank you".

Regarding my image ... I have one more question. If I want to remove the swing the bird is sitting on, how would I go about doing that? Would I use the magic eraser tool in Photoshop? I'd like to have the versatility of using the bird image with or without it sitting on the swing. If you can help me with this question I will increase my pool of knowledge for the future, too. Thanks again.

12. KD-did

KD-did

I, myself would use the eraser tool and not the magic eraser tool and that is because the magic eraser tool would remove all black lines that touched and remove even the black parts that you want By using the eraser tool you would essentially paint the swing away. If you first remove the background the eraser tool would then also paint transparent.

You might enjoy looking at Hints and Tips forum for all kinds of useful information on working with TLC.

13. Chris

Chris Staff Member

You can do it that way or you can use this. :D I will have some free time later and I will do something for you with this parrot.

[​IMG]

14. sharic

sharic

Chris,

You are, indeed, a special person! Thanks so much AGAIN for providing just what I need. This is incredible ... You are quite fortunate to have the talent and imagination to create from scratch. I'd love to have the ability ... oh well, I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with whatever talents I do have, lol. I'm certainly looking forward to your imagination and creative energy.

15. Chris

Chris Staff Member

sharic here is your parrot again. I redid it. It is now cleaner and sharper looking. Now you can import it into TLC and have a sharper edge on it with no white ever. I also thought this might look better for web use.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]