Need help - Lettering

Discussion in 'Help wanted with my design' started by Skitzo, Oct 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skitzo

Skitzo

Hi,

Cybrnetico was nice to help me with an element I was working on for a logo. However, I can't seem to get the text to look decent. The name on the school team is the BEARCATS. I used "impact" as a font, but hopefully someone has something which is 'taller' (do you know what I mean?). Is there another font I should be downloading?

You'll see a logo attached which is the same background I'm going for. I really like those letters and the circle. Can anyone make that type of lettering? I find the spacing is all off when I try it. Instead of Wildcats, I'd like it to say BEARCATS - then I'm going to drop in completely different design elements.

If anyone would be so kind as to mock one up and upload the jpg as well as the T.L.C file I would really appreciate it. I'd like to take a look at the T.L.C. file as to figure out how you did it!!

(don't worry about the centre of the circle - I'll figure out the colour later)

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. theghoul

theghoul

fonts

Heres two to look at...

1: Trebuchet MS
    2: Bodoni MT Black[​IMG]

3. KD-did

KD-did

To accomplish that shape for the text it will have to be done in 2 parts. BEAR and CATS or done in a desktop publishing program using the wordart and imported into your TLC project.

4. blackknight

blackknight

Here is a "BEARCATS" I came up with. It is done in Impact that I stretched a bit. One of the samples is done in a trans. png but you can remove the white background in TLC if you wish. Hope this helps. :banasplit

Attached Files:

5. blackknight

blackknight

One of these should work. All you need to do is put your animal image inside the "window" and you have your logo! Good luck and lets see it when finished. :banana

Attached Files:

6. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

emulate BK lettering

BlackKnight, I love they way you did that three layer lettering I try to emulate it, but it seems that my black layer came out jagged. I used xara x.

This was my saturday challenge. :joker:

7. Skitzo

Skitzo

That's great guys!! I've been rippig my hair out ever this one.

K.D. - could you tell me what font that is? I really like the look of that.

Blacknight - that's exactly what I was trying to do. Did you use TLC to make it!??! Could you share your method with me? Or send me the source (TLC) file so I can see what you did? (damn you're good)

The last question I have on lettering is one of flipping letters. Take a look at the example I showed you (the Wildcat logo) and you'll see where it says: "Mascot Kit". Well the letters are right-side-up. I've been trying to do it with "Acton High School" but the letters are always upside down. I've tried flipping and rotating - 180, 360 etc. etc. nothing. Is this a program limitation or is it just me. (probably me ;-)

Thanks again!!

8. Chris

Chris Staff Member

You will probably have to do one letter at a time. I don't think TLC curves the text backwards like that yet. I did this in TLC, again I had to do one letter at a time. Rotate them till they look right.

9. KD-did

KD-did

10. blackknight

blackknight

Give me just a little time. I am doing something here for your logo Skitzo. This is my first attempt at using my Wacom drawing pad and in a short while, I'll post my results. When I don't know what I am doing the process seems long and tedious but I have been looking for an excuse or a reason to get to learn my Wacom.

11. KD-did

KD-did

Slightly different text shape look

12. blackknight

blackknight

This was a labour of love for sure and one of my most challenging projects to create. I used a combo of TLC and a program from Hemara. But when you are addicted, you just have to figure how to complete a project and I believe I put in a good effort and learned some things along the way. Because of the time involved, I would charge good bucks for this project. I hope you like this and I can make some changes if needed. :Painting:
    P.S. I used the Wacom pad on this project extensively for editing as the Tiger had a background and I would not have been able to do this unless I redrew the tiger in it's entirety. I have a lot of ideas I plan for the Wacom and I do like the idea of the sports logos like I just finished.

Attached Files:

13. Chris

Chris Staff Member

well done BK, that is AWESOME. SO come on how long did it take you? :) So how is the wacom pad? I have been thinking about getting one myself.

14. blackknight

blackknight

I actually worked on this for about 3 to 4 hours. I really like the Wacom and it is capable of a whole lot more than what I am using it for. At first the control it takes to edit the background was nerve wracking as I kept redoing things but I did find a couple of short cuts and I was getting better control with practice. Some of the best money invested. When using the Wacom, I used a combination of the mouse and the pen as they work in unison.

15. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Kool I will certainly look into one of those then.Thanks BK.

16. blackknight

blackknight

you are welcome

17. Skitzo

Skitzo

Wacom eh? Never heard of it. Ok...so I'm not crazy - you can't do it in T.L.C. Take a look at where it's at.

What do you think?

BK - Thank for your help. I know what you mean by addicted. I'm trying to stretch this logo creator out to it's limits. Too bad it doesn't have a "Sports Team" template (all kinds of elements) or What I was thinking would be also cool is a "coat of arms" template full of elements.

KD - I like that!!! Is it possible to do in Red? Our school colours are apparently Red and White. But I think the only reason for that is because it's cheaper to print. Ha!

You'll see I put a tag line in there: "Welcome to the scratching post" - I didn't put a lot of thought into that.... If anyone has anything come to mind...

Also, I just put the T.L.C file up on my web space. Probably easier for people to play with that rather than reinventing elements. The source file is around 11 Megs here's the URL:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~douglasthompson/Bearcats Acton.tlc

Attached Files:

18. Skitzo

Skitzo

WAIT - wrong URL. Here it is:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~douglasthompson/Bearcatsacton.tlc

(P.S. - Does anyone else post their source files? Would it not be a great way for people to learn and collect elements? - I mean for those of us who are simply playing around - not in business or anything)

19. blackknight

blackknight

Skitzo, what I used the Wacom drawing pad on was to get the tiger. The Tiger had a background color to it and I needed to change the color to white although I could have used black as well. But if I had used the Wacom the correct way, I would have done my editing in Photo Shop Elements which comes with the Wacom pad and erased the background and made it transparent instead. I created a whole lot of extra work for myself as I haven't mastered photoshop yet. When I do, I will be able to create as well as edit any kind of "sports or mascot art" that you see on the "knights mascot webpage. Graphic design for me is to have an arsenal of tools available and to be able to create the art I want using whatever program that helps me to achieve the end result. TLC is a great software program and the forum here is a wonderful "add on bonus worth way more than Marc could charge for the software. I have made many friends and I have learned way more than what I would have learned on my own. No, TLC doesn't do everything but it sure has got me on my way and I owe lots and it greatly enhances everything I do and I use the software daily. There are many tricks and shortcuts I have learned along the way and I believe I have it pretty well mastered, and then again I am always surprised at times. It is great to see a fellow Canadian in the forum and also bear with me as I am busy at times,; I will show you in the next couple of days how I create the sports logo thingy. If I can do it, anyone can and if your interest lies there then you should be able to produce some very fine designs. Thanks for giving me the push or idea to make this logo as I have learned some more stuff along the way. Good Luck.

20. KD-did

KD-did

I did it both ways

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.