Mirroring image with text easily.

Discussion in 'Techniques' started by KD-did, Jul 6, 2008.

1. KD-did

KD-did

If you are wanting a mirror effect for an image with text you can accomplish that by making your graphic and the exporting it as a 'transparent' PNG, then importing your image back onto a clean canvas. Then duplicate the card, rotate the card 180 degrees then do a horizontal flip and cut the opacity way down. You can further fine tune by dragging card off center ... (if desired) add shadows accordingly (cutting back on the mirrored image) .Export as desired.

tkmorin likes this.
  2. Topcatz

Topcatz Guest

Cool

Another great solution...
    Great........
    TC

3. KD-did

KD-did

Thanks TC! Sure a great deal easier than addressing each element individually. What I found out by doing the easy way is you are guaranteed a exact replica that you might not get by doing it element by element.

4. 3DS

3DS

A great start for the mirror image! For a more refined look, I also suggest adding a gradient fade to the mirrored image to create an effect of realism.

5. Topcatz

Topcatz Guest

How

Hi 3D, how do you create the fade?
    TC

6. 3DS

3DS

Oh I'd use a mask & a gradient overlay in Ps. This would create it fading away from the point of mirror outward from the solid object. An effect you would get from a semi-glossy or a dull glossy surface.

You can shoot me an email for further details or to help you out.

7. KD-did

KD-did

Using TLC only you can locate an existing gradient square element (or use a rectangle or random shape )among the elements, then color gradient white to gray ....cut the opacity back until you are happy with the results, export as Tpng and then import and place over the image you are or have mirrored.

8. 3DS

3DS

Hey that maybe what ur looking for TC. Thanx KD. I was looking for something like that to make it work, but I guess I missed it. I couldn't do that to any of the elements with the Attributes available. Have you tried it yet?

9. Topcatz

Topcatz Guest

I'll try it shortly and post my results

Thanx 3D and as always KD.............
    TC

10. KD-did

KD-did

The process and the attached mask work for me. It is best done on a non-white background for the best result.

11. 3DS

3DS

Here's an example of what I was talking about...

...unfortunately TLC isn't capable of adding masks & alpha channels to layers yet. Maybe in a future version it will be possible if Marc is willing to go that far with the app features. I'm sure it would be a lot of work to do so.

Thanx for your help and efforts KD.

Attached Files:

12. KD-did

KD-did

You are right about the limitations...however, I have another work around ...give this a try.
    Drag the portion of image that is NOT to be mirrored off the canvas export (preferably tpng) ...that essentially "crops" the graphic in half. Bring that 1/2 image back onto the canvas rotate 180, flip horizontally and cut the opacity way down and/or use the attached mask. Remember mirroring essentially makes no sense unless there is sense of the image standing on something or has something to reflect off of.

13. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Here is what I got with TLC. Is this what you are wanting?

Attached Files:

14. Topcatz

Topcatz Guest

I did it different.....

Well I tried and tried and wound up getting what I wanted using photo studio etc......

Attached Files:

15. 3DS

3DS

Very nice Chris! Looks like a 3 part gradient where it gets almost 90% in the middle then starts to come back near the top- I like that, or is that bottom? lol.

Hey TC, how bout Piro Fox into Pyro Fox, at least thats what i'm thinking when i see the play on Fire Fox. Nice design concept.

16. Chris

Chris Staff Member

It is the same element duplicated and then lowering the opacity. Next I used the shapes font with the letter r I believe. That gave me a rectangle and then I played with the opacity of that and added a shadow and played with it.

17. Lamo1graphic

Lamo1graphic

when doing shadows i think that you must leave a small gap between the top element and the shadow may be a 3-4 pixal would do!! this gives the effect of the top element floating

[​IMG]

18. wexusjon

wexusjon

I'm still very new to this stuff but HAVE found a DIFFERENT way? (maybe NOT) - Reproduce a MIRROR EFFECT without exporting anything... (version)

Hope this helps anyone out...

Attached Files:

19. wexusjon

wexusjon

LAST ONE... I'm using MEGA PAK 5.2!

(LOVE IT)...!~

Attached Files:

20. Topcatz

Topcatz Guest

Excellent, you're doing great..
    Thanx for the new (and easier for me) tip...
    TCz