Mascot stumper

Discussion in 'Resource & Recommendations' started by Borpean, May 11, 2005.

1. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

Hi all

My name is David Sylvester (Same as the laughingbird...not the cat :)).
    I'm the artist and creator of the mascots in The Mascot Edition as well as custom made mascots.
    I am interested to know what types of Mascots people would like to see more of or what kind of mascot, that's not out there, you would like to see.

Any input would be great. A couple of the forum members have already inputed their thoughts or ideas (which are noted!) My custom work has overwhelmed me and I am trying to display ready made mascots as quick as I can, but some public feedback, comments or suggestions would be great.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. :D
    Best regards,
    -Dave

2. Texas

Texas

Suggestion For Mascots

I am NOT an artist, but I have had SEVERAL request for some kind of Mascots that DON'T appear to be so cartoonee (is that a word)? They like the idea of some kind of Mascot, they were just afraid of cartoons. Some of the request I have had were:

1. Something powerful - even mysterious
    2. Something scary - but not a cartoon

I hope this helps & I hope it makes sense. I like the Mascots, but the people that wanted logos were afraid the cartoon type characters would cheapen their site.

Thanks for your great work!

3. Flotsom

Flotsom

More imposing

Dave,

I think Mascots are almost cartoon by definition, however having said that I would add that they don't necessarily have to be comical, though that is certainly the most common. Examples would be the sports mascots you see in MLB, Football, Hockey, etc. Most of those are semi-comical or at least caricature in nature.

Personally I'd like to see some that are more along the artistic/impressionistic lines, like the Seattle Seahawks' seahawk on the side of their helmet. Animals work well for imparting messages ... wolverines, eagles, hawks, badgers, tigers (you have one & a lion, although a little warm and fuzzy for some applications).

More Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and less crouching kitty hidden lizard, if that makes any sense. :lol:

Does that help?

--flot

4. Texas

Texas

Said It Much Better Than Me Dave

Said much better Dave, that is what I was trying to convey, just having a hard time.. Tks

Randy

5. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

6. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

I second that "hahaha". Very good.

Hmmm, interesting. Very very good input. Thank you so much.
    So a little more muscle and less fluff is what I am understanding.

I have been sticking with the cute & fuzzy light mascots because I wanted to bring more of a "welcome to our..." rather than having being too aggressive and turning people away.
    Look at all the mascots or characters you see on cereal boxes or other food items. Then look at sports icons, all aggressive and heavy lines. Video game characters are another story. (Sonic is cute, yet has a tough look to it) I have stayed away from that look, or keeping it as a customized mascot as there is not a lot of "start up" gaming companies (that don't have in house artists).

What's interesting is that I am finding elementary schools are asking for the cute rather than tough mascots. So it just depends on the product or what is being promoted.
    Having said that, those are STILL great ideas, and I will definitely take them into consideration. I will see if I can add some muscle to the line up.

Thanks again, and I want more!

-Dave

7. KD-did

KD-did

A knight .

8. djb5554

djb5554

How about a cheerleader for Katie!:lol:

I could use a moster truck!:Bob:

Maybe even an airplane for the Flot! LOL

9. Flotsom

Flotsom

Flot's little flying Smiley is good ... Knights, dragons, any fantasy stuff would be fun! :D

10. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

Knights, ..Now those were some cool guys, i know these are not the same or even like the excellent work that Borpean produced for TLC and still does with his own mascotte and other design ventures, But!...they are still a bunch of cool looking dudes!
    :Rockn:

11. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

Very cool MasterD! I like 'em. Thanks for the kind words and I will come up with some knights of the mascot table!!

ha. love the KISS dudes

12. MODCreations

MODCreations

Dave I would like to see maybe themed ones like:

1.Workers(Police Man-you have)Fireman,doctors etc.

2.How about a racer like a guy in a firesuit.

3. Flotsom Quoted "Personally I'd like to see some that are more along the artistic/impressionistic lines, like the Seattle Seahawks' seahawk on the side of their helmet. Animals work well for imparting messages ... wolverines, eagles, hawks, badgers, tigers (you have one & a lion, although a little warm and fuzzy for some applications)."

Hope this helps. Mike :artist:

13. Gravy

Gravy

I agree a couple with a little muscle would be ok. I make logos and avatars for my online friends in the gaming world and I get alot of inspiration from browsing Unit insignias and aircraft nose art. Here are a couple.

14. Flotsom

Flotsom

Speaking of Aircraft nose art ... :Homer: ... Borpean, how are you at WWII Pin ... uh ... on 2nd thought, that might not be such a great idea. Never mind. :whistler:

15. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

Might have to set up another site for that. Maybe BorpeanCity :)

16. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

Those are very cool Gravy. I like the Crow.
    I agree, little more muscle on new mascots. I don't want to be clip art however. Granted, mascots on the site are for everyone, but, that's why I add multiple images to mix it up and keep a consistent look throughout someone's business.
    You can only do so much with an "aircraft nose art". It looks beautiful with just the one image. I will have to find a way to incorporate these new types of mascots (the mean tiger, bulldog etc) to the site.

By the way, I don't mean to and hope I'm not taking up to much of your space on here BigBird. You can Laugh me out of town ;)

17. Flotsom

Flotsom

I was always a big fan of Kansas-City Kitty, and Liberty Belle II. Round Trip Ticket was pretty special too! I'll stop now ... I'm sure I've already said too much. Sure looked good on the nose of those bombers though. ;) Be sure to tell me if you add that to BorpeanCity! :D

18. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

How about some mascot vehicles....like the chevron cars.... I think they are (do I dare to say it?) 'Cute'. something along that line :) or maybe a train (hint..hint) I'd buy that one :D

19. Flotsom

Flotsom

Uhhhh ... Dave?

Your form says your address isn't in their database when you try to submit the form at you link posted above ... !?!

-flotster

20. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

yikes! rrrr. you get a whole new page don't you.

grumble grumble.

thanks