Making a Banner, Need 300dpi, Need Larger File Size

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by dick123, Jul 11, 2008.

1. dick123

dick123

Hello,
    I am pretty much a novice with TLC. I am trying to have a large banner made of a logo I have completed in TLC. I saved the logo at 300dpi but the sign company said my file size was too small and the print out of the logo would not be large enuf for the banner. I used the largest file on the canvas I could make in TLC, or so I thought. I did however notice after I finished the logo...template, jpg, etc. it appears I could have made the length much longer then the width (the length seemed to be unlimited but the height was limited when I tried to resize it)..........I don't understand how to make a larger logo and corresponding file size. My file size of my logo was only 108 KB at 300dpi (they said I needed a hi dpi). The sign company said I needed a larger image so how do I get to a multimegabyte file size or a larger file size I would need for a large print out? They also said I could vector the image but I got the impression I would still need a larger file......the banner will be about 6' by 2'. Could I vector the logo I completed even tho the file size of the image is small? Or, could I take my template from the logo I made and just enlarge it in TLC? Or would I have to start over again and make another logo? And when I set the dpi for 300 is the template as well as the images I exported all saved at 300dpi? It would be nice if under Properties of the image or template that it would confirm the dpi setting in the finished image & template.
    Really would appreciate your help......Thanks Dick
    "Email_Removed_For_Security"

2. KD-did

KD-did

The beauty of having your work vectorized is from the one vector file your work can be made very tiny to the size of a city bus without loss of resolution or quality. Even going back to your original canvas size could be converted/vectorized and provide what you need to have your banner made. You don't want to push your canvas size and work too large for vectoring to begin with as you want your images as crisp and clean for the conversion process and the images you use do have a limit on their sizing capabilities.

The best way to enlarge your work and canvas is to open the .tlc file and start the export process then drag the right hand bottom corner of the canvas , this will increase both the size of the canvas and work equally. Finish the export of the enlarged work in the file format and DPI resolution that is recommended by whomever will be doing the converting for you if you don't have capabilities to do for yourself.

http://www.logo2vector.com/ is an online service recommended by Laughingbird Software

3. Wicked

Wicked

As well the file size will make no difference if you have a good vector image. File size will be irrelevant. As stated by KD-did you will be able to blow up a city bus I mean blow it up to the size of a city bus.. No seriously do not blow up a city bus..

4. dick123

dick123

Hello KD-did & Wicked,
    I appreciate your help very much......
    Great response and information.....I am getting a better handle on it.
    If anyone sees this I was also wondering what a transperency file is.....like a png...or something like that? Think I will stick with the vector stuff too ........ sounds like it would save a rookie like me some time. Is it quite difficult to make a vector file? Hey, sorry I keep thinking of stuff to ask.........Have a good weekend what is left of it. Thanks, Dick

5. KD-did

KD-did

Transparency means that there is no background on the exported or imported image. When placed over a colored or patterned background there is no default block of color around the image.. . in essence being transparent. There are 2 such formats transparent .gif and png in TLC.

6. Wicked

Wicked

Basically only the image element will be present with no background attached to it.. A transparent png export option will just remove any color that is White on your working canvas.. A transparent gif gives you the option to make any color you want transparent..

If you have never done your own vector work (like me) I would highly suggest using that website KD suggested to you.. I know its extra money but its a smart move for a graphics beginner or even novice....