Mac Fonts Voodoo

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by tdiaz6592, Jan 5, 2008.

1. tdiaz6592

tdiaz6592

Some fonts won't select, the Font selection window just sits there. Others will select but the font will never change, and yet others .. work perfectly.

I thought maybe it's related to True type vs. Type 1, or perhaps were they are installed. /System/fonts, /Library/Fonts or ~/Library/Fonts .. no matter.

I even loaded one of them into Font Lab and saved it as a different font format. Same deal.

The same fonts installed on Windows work fine with the Windows version. Editing the logo in Windows and moving the file to Mac results in the "building logo" image never going away.

2. KD-did

KD-did

You are absolutely right, however, it does seem to be more a Mac thing and not related to TLC,itself. On a PC if you move or copy fonts to the main Windows font folder all is fabulous but that isn't so on a Mac. If you do spotlight on "fonts" on a Mac you will see that there is more than one folder for fonts but you won't see all the font folders when you look in the Library font folder.

I have tried moving the fonts into library "FONTS" folder and it was still a no go on any of my Macs even after I have repaired permissions. Why TLC can't access them after the move is a big mystery to me and one I have not found an answer too.

3. tdiaz6592

tdiaz6592

I even moved the fonts from ~/Library/Fonts to /Library/Fonts - It's not a good idea to mess with /System/Fonts as thats the OS installed specific stuff. None the less. The font names show up on the popup window that comes up when you Format from the Text Menu. Clicking on the name results in nothing happening, or the Window will close and the font will still not change- or it will work as expected. So it not simply "not seeing them"

4. KD-did

KD-did

Luckily most OSX applications will show fonts and access fonts no matter where they are... Do you have any font managers on board?

5. tdiaz6592

tdiaz6592

Linotype FontExplorer X is installed, though they say it's a font manager, it's really a font seller. It doesn't do anything until you launch it. But none of that stuff that stays active.