Lost my stored Logo template

Discussion in 'Help wanted with my design' started by tedrin, Sep 29, 2014.

1. tedrin

tedrin

I wanted to use an old logo template to make a new one and lost the original in the Laughingbird stored area...It's still on my computer desktop but I can't get it back in the stored templates file.

How do you duplicate a template without losing the original?...or how do I use a template and not lose the original logo?

2. KD-did

KD-did

What version are you using? Launch TLC and open template.Look in the file you set-up for storage area.
    V5 templates can NOT be opened with V6.

If using Windows check for any DS_STORE files and DELETE them,

You could try zipping the template and emailing to yourself as a precaution.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  3. tedrin

tedrin

V6.8

It was a new logo 'template' created a few days ago...I wanted to use it to create another logo and lost the original when working on the new...There was no "copy" button when I had the original opened (that I got from "Logo creator templates")

I thought the very idea of a template is that you can use it over and over so you don't have to start designing a new logo from scratch.

I understand that "My templates" are stored Logos from a different version.

4. KD-did

KD-did

UNless you used the "version" option the file should still be on your computer as it was.

Are you Mac or PC?

5. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

KD-did said it right Ted. In v6.8 your logo changes as you work on it. You cannot 'go back'.
    What you do is, when you want to modify a logo but preserve the original, is use File/Save a version from the top menu. This will let you make a copy of the logo you have open and save it to another location on your computer. Then you continue working in your 'working' directory. If you want to restore that previous logo, simply navigate to where you stored it on your hard drive and copy the folder back to your 'working' folder.

If you have a 'group' of logos in your working directory and want to save them all and start over, you can simply re-name that directory to working_bak ( or whatever ). The next time you start TLC you will be prompted to name a new working directory.

6. tedrin

tedrin

Thanks for reply...Yeah I saved the original logo on my desktop and in a grouped folder...I didn't understand that the template was for "working" on the next...Ideally I'd like several working copies available in the "Logo Creator Templates" folder...I'm still using Windows Vista and the filing system stinks...lol

7. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Simply start your logo, it will save automatically. Then do File/Save a version with another name. However many times you want. Use a different name each time. When you close the logo you are working on you will be able to select another to work with and those versions will be listed there.

As an example, if you are working with a logo titled 'client1', then do a File/Save a version to your working directory ( that is the directory you named when you first started with TLC. It is usually in your /My Documents directory ) and save the logo with the name 'client1.1'

Then do a File/Close Template and you'll get a list of available templates to open. You should now see 'client1' and 'client1.1' listed there.

gcuneo2 likes this.
  8. KD-did

KD-did

Are you sure about the decimal point???? It has been an issue.

9. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Not an issue with me ... Win7

tlc7.jpg

Of course, if it doesn't work for a user, simply use a different filename.