Lost everything when upgrading to 6.0

Discussion in 'Updating' started by Michael Hopkins, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Michael Hopkins

Michael Hopkins

Hello, I'm Red, out of Huntington IN. I started using TLC when Marc first released it back in well a very long time ago. I started with I think was 3.0 any way, I'm on a new system with Win 7 (32 bit) I started with TLC 5.2 with the mega pak. So in my programs (x86) folder I have a "The logo creator 5" folder and the program worked fine, like it was supposed to, then I believe I got Update 6.0 which went into another folder "The logo creator 6" It seemed to be there but I didn't try to do anything. Then there was update 6.6 it went into a folder "The Logo Creator" The program opens up but its empty, no nothing, no swooshes, no images at all, no templates at all, I went ahead and installed 6.8 now I have "The Logo Creator 6.8" Folder but same as 6.6, no images or templates, thier all setting in the "The Logo Creator 5" folder , What do I need to do uninstall everything and start over? Can I just move the folders in the Logo Creator 5 folder over to the 6.8 folder? Help me out here! I just also installed several add on packs that I bought. When I looked in my add/remove programs it only shows "The Logo Creator 6.6" as being installed and one of the new pacs I just added on.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  2. KD-did

KD-did

While you can have both versions on your computer and have either of them run as usual they are not compatible. They have be 2 separate installations. The V6 Laughingbird Documents file is installed to your Documents or My documents file.... by uninstalling it by removing the Laughingbird Documents folder and doing a re-install you should have everything working.

The images can be copy and pasted into the Logo Elements files but not the templates.

Keep V6.X paks together and the V5.X and paks together.

3. KD-did

KD-did

When I installed my V6.8 I had to reinstall V6 for the templates and elements to show.

4. KD-did

KD-did

5. KD-did

KD-did

Backup for the foreseen is liable to happen.

6. Michael Hopkins

Michael Hopkins

I still have the original program with a serial number given. I always back up information.

7. Michael Hopkins

Michael Hopkins

Thank you all for your help and assistance! Have a good day!

8. KD-did

KD-did

With no working links available what good is your serial number? That is why you make backups of the programs.

gcuneo2 likes this.
  9. Bobthebuilder

Bobthebuilder

Hi,
    I have been following this thread and have a similar situation. I still have V6.6 installed and I installed V6.8 today. I have a feeling that V6.6 wasn't working correctly before that because somehow the folders with elements and templates might have been moved....?
    Anyway, V6.8 runs but there are no elements showing. I believe they are in my folder at C:\Users\Robert\Documents\Laughingbird Documents - which contains the Logo Elements and Logo Libraries folders. The problem seems to be that V6.8 doesn't know where they are! I did manage to move my templates to the new folder (chosen when I checked in to the new V6.8) so they show up in V6.8 now.
    But I don't have any elements so do I have the right location? If not where should the Elements and Libraries be? Do I need to just uninstall V6.6? OR am I barking up completely the wrong tree!?
    Confused..
    Thanks, Robert

10. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

The software will only look in one location for the templates, and logo elements, And that's exactly where you described.

Below is where they are on my computer.
    C:\Users\Glenn\Documents\Laughingbird Documents

A history of the upgrades:
    1. version 4.0, 5,0 and version 5.2 of the Logo Creator did not use the current "documents library set up".
    2. Beginning with version 6.0, the use of the documents library file structure was implemented.
    3. The upgrade from version 5.2 to 6.0 to version 6.6 were big downloads: about 238MB.

4. The upgrade from version 6.6 to 6.8 was small in download size (about 34MB) but THE VAST MAJORITY of changes made were behind the scenes sort of upgrades--- one difference is the ability to easily save the templates you make wherever you want.

DO THIS FIRST: LOOK FOR THIS FILE on your computer: a1Wow.tlc. This is a file associated with one of the standard premade templates that come with the Logo Creator. You find that file you have located your templates.

Now let's say you don't find that file... that means you basically need to install the software (version 6.6) (a full working, non trial version) to reestablish all those files.

NEXT DO THIS IF NOT ON A MAC: Search your entire computer for the following file and delete all copies of it. It is a file not needed on windows computers: .DS_STORE. you may have multiple copies of the file. On mac computers it helps display icons, and other rinky dinky stuff... on windows computers it tends to mess up some programs.

HOW TO FIX THIS IN THE FUTURE: Back up all your original purchases, and your laughingbird documents library to a usb thumbdrive...

I mess my software up, on purpose, all the time trying to duplicate customer errors and problems. When I need to reinstall my templates I simply getthe backup copies of the thumb drive and drop them right back in the documents library.

11. KD-did

KD-did

Did you have the MUST have V6 download on your computer first? Was it still installed when downloading V6.6 and V6.8?
    Must.png

gcuneo2 likes this.