Logo for coding site?

Discussion in 'Help wanted with my design' started by AngelArs, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AngelArs

AngelArs

Does anyone have any good ideas on what we can use for a coding logo?

Our site writes PHP, HTML, Flash and javascript scripts and besides using 1's and 0's we can't think of anything that represents coding :image09:

Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Just curious what is the site name and web address?

3. junkie4life

junkie4life

What if you took an approach similar to The Matrix DVD cover imagery?? Or maybe even some sort of bar code??

The name of the business would help as well as some sort view of your corporate colors and style.

J4L

4. AngelArs

AngelArs

The site is not up and running just yet. We were up but we're redesigning everything again. The name is Tech Einstein but why is the name important for an idea regarding coding? We're probably not going to be open again until mid-late summer, so there should be plenty of time to come up with a good idea. We deal mostly with Flash designs and PC repair but want to also have a large coding section. The logo would be animated which we'll do in Flash.

5. junkie4life

junkie4life

Usually the name is part of the logo design...your comment is making me wonder what exactly you are looking for??? How is someone supposed to design a logo without knowing the name or function of the business??? It's like someone bringing you a PC and asking you to repair it, but not tell you what is wrong with it. You may fix it with a lot of hours and some luck but if they told you from the beginning what the problem was you would be able to focus your attention on fixing the PC rather than guessing or wasting time diagnosing the problem.

The more information you can provide the better the logo design will be. Your target market, your long term direction, your overall corporate identity are all valuable pieces of information. Logo design is a lengthy process of using images, colors, text, and fonts to represent you. If we don't know "who you are are, what you do, and where you plan to go" you will never have logo designed that you would be proud of.

J4L

6. AngelArs

AngelArs

Actually that's not always true, especially for a true logo. That's just glorified text. Some people take a name, use a certain font, and add a few effects to it all and call it a 'logo' - and that's not really what a true logo is. If you look up the word logo in the dictionary it will say it's a a visible object or symbol representing an abstract idea for the company. The fact that some may call glorified text a 'logo' does not make it one, that same as if someone called a dogs tail a leg and then asked how many legs does it have? The answer of course is still going to be 4 because just because someone calls the tail a leg, does not make it so. The same holds true for logos. They should be an object or a symbol, and not just glorified text. A good logo would be like the one below for Apple Inc. Now anyone could see that logo and automatically know that it was for a Mac product. The word Apple does not need to appear anywhere, in fact it usually isn't, and yet everyone automatically knows what company it represents without any words appearing. That is a good logo. We need one for coding. Any ideas would be appreciated.

The function of the business was already clearly posted in the very first post.

Attached Files:

7. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Good luck to you and any of the users that want to work with this.

8. Lamo1graphic

Lamo1graphic

heres a quick go at this,hopefully this will get things going

[​IMG]

9. Randy...

Randy... Guest

The 'apple' logo goes without question due to years of branding. It didn't just appear one day and everyone knew who it was. Much like the "Golden Arches" -- it took years of branding and in the public eye before everyone knew who it was. With all due respect, your company doesn't even have a website and you expect people to know you just by an 'element' without text? You'll need both for many years before taking the text away and having people still associate the 'element' with your company.

10. junkie4life

junkie4life

Digger my main man...I was not home to reply to this earlier but you hit the nail on the head. The "Apple" logo DERIVED from the MACINTOSH corporation. "Apple" is a BRAND of MACINTOSH. Branding taking takes years and lots os f $$$$$ to establish. So back the original request for a LOGO, details are required. It's up to you what imagery you want to represent your name. It is also up to YOU to do whatever is necessary to continue the branding for that image. A Macintosh is an Apple, the Golden Arches are an M for McDonald's, etc. etc. Now Pepsi and Nike have symbols that represent their product/image that became iconic due to BILLIONS of dollars of marketing & advertising. Who do you think thought of the logos for Nike, Reebok, Microsoft, etc??? HIGH PAID MARKETING AGENCIES. People pay huge dollars for logos, but those companies also pay even bigger dollars to brand that logo. That is up to the company, not the logo designer.

Now I had originally suggested The Matrix imagery and a bar code-like symbol to help incorporate the coding aspects of 1's & 0's yet give it some an element of style specific to you taste. You are the client, your input is paramount.

Like Digger said, you are a "computer" related company without a web site (as of now). You should probably take things in small steps rather then skip to the finish line. It is not only a right of passage, but it's actually a nourishing approach to feeling a sense of accomplishment. I have designed numerous logos by way of brainstorming using details provided by the client as well as researching the industry. And from start to finish the design changes many times until the final product is achieved. I save all my work and like to look back at them and reflect on that process on recall the various points in time where a change happened and WHY.

You can copy and paste the definition of the word Logo, but the true meaning of the craft has more complexity, skill, and art than simply breaking down it's definition.

Just my humble opinion.

J4L

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.