Logo creator techniques

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself!' started by Shahid, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Shahid

Shahid

New user ! Queries While exploring tlc?

Firstly best greetings for the season and all future seasons!

I have the following queries:

1. how can a imported image (other than .tlc )from outside be put in a tlc
    text
    2. how to place imported image inside the text
    3. In the tutorial? With US flag image superimposed inside the text. How
    can I get a white text background (inside the text) for use while I
    superimposing the image of a flag. The text color inside is not white,
    but green which I had written?

4. In an imported 235 x 156 GIF logo (not a .tlc image) I want to separate
    its text from its graphics, how can I do it?
    5. I dont know the characteristics of jpg, gif, png, tiff, bmp, pdf. I mean
    when to make a choice for one against the others?
    8. I emailed a tlc logo to myself and the attachment opened the Nero
    media player, but no image ? What went wrong and where? how can I
    receive the image for review in tlc or any windows image viewer?
    through an email in its original format sent by a sender?
    Thanks.
    Shahid

2. Doc

Doc Staff Member

Hi Shahid I will do my best to answer some of your questions.

1. how can a imported image (other than .tlc )from outside be put in a tlc
    text To use an image as a background to your text first enter your text as normal. Next from the text menu (in the left box) click on the color button. In the text color screen near the top there are 3 boxes, the right hand box says 'Insert an image into text' click on it and use the file selector to find the image you want as your text background.

2. See above

3. In the tutorial? With US flag image superimposed inside the text. How
    can I get a white text background (inside the text) for use while I
    superimposing the image of a flag. The text color inside is not white,
    but green which I had written? Not sure what you mean here as any text colour will be replaced by using an image as a background

4. In an imported 235 x 156 GIF logo (not a .tlc image) I want to separate
    its text from its graphics, how can I do it? It is not possible to separate the elements of a gif picture, the only thing you can do is crop the image or cover up the parts you do not want. Think of a gif image as being like a printed photograph - you would not be able to move parts of the photo around.

5. I dont know the characteristics of jpg, gif, png, tiff, bmp, pdf. I mean
    when to make a choice for one against the others? I think this is far too complicated an area to go into in depth here (maybe you couild do a google search) but as a quick guide for exports we tend to use jpg for small file size and png or gif if we want the background to be transparent

8. I emailed a tlc logo to myself and the attachment opened the Nero
    media player, but no image ? What went wrong and where? how can I
    receive the image for review in tlc or any windows image viewer?
    through an email in its original format sent by a sender? TLC files are for viewing/editing within the TLC program. To send a file for viewing by some one else who does not have TLC you must export if first in one of the formats mentioned in your previous question

3. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

Hi Shahid. Good questions. Doc did a great job answering your questions too.

Although a google search is best, I will make a brief rundown on question 5 as some definitions can be confusing or very technical. "The characteristics of jpg, gif, png, tiff, bmp, pdf."

JPG (for web use). Best used if your logo has a photo, such as an image of a person or object or a logo with many effects, like drop shadows, glows etc.

GIF. (for web use) Best used if the logo has just text or simple graphic object with no effects (no drop shadows, glows). This makes the file size of an image small and loads fast if its used on a webpage.

PNG.(for web use) Is very tricky. PNG gives a much wider range of transparency options than GIF as well as allowing smoother fades, or effects. GIF supports animation while PNG does not. PNG images are widely supported on web browsers, but not as widely supported as GIF images.
    PNG is best used for TLC when creating a logo then exporting to desired file.

TIFF and PDF. Simply put... best used for Print. I can go into much detail with these but they are prefered if you have a large file and need to print cymk (4 color) for best quality.

Just remember, that JPG, GIF PNG are to be used ONLY for web not for print. These are RGB based (many colors to support the web) which printing can't handle well. TIFF PDF are for print only. TIFF is CYMK (4 color) PDF is good to send to a client for review if you will be printing something as it is a small file.

I hope this helps and thanks Doc for keeping the answers short...unlike mine :)

4. Shahid

Shahid

Thanks a million Doc, for such a prompt help....though I am still working, on them. Being new Its taking me time to get a grip, but the prospects are so encouraging, when help is so forthcoming.
    Hi Borpean, thanks for the comprehensive run down on graphic formats, now I can move ahead wiser ... but its just a launch pad...I request for open doors for future too.
    Shahid

5. Shahid

Shahid

Hi,Doc
    I have a tried the inserting flag image sequence only to find that, 75 % of my text vanish when I use the import image flag into my text. Only initial 3 alphabets appear? When the horizontal slider is set to zero by default, But Bringing the slider down by increasing from zero starts vanishing text alphabets from right to left?
    Also, How could I increase or decrease text size on a 560x420 canvas to fill it up and yet remain within the 560x420 range?

Does the canvas size show the pixels? For example 560x420

I get nothing using the built in shapes font? How to set in a shape. clicking shapes in embedded fonts brings up blank white canvas..Nothing happens.

Thanks for your time

Shahid

6. Doc

Doc Staff Member

Hi Shahid

I think the reason your text is dissapearing is that the background image is not as big as the text. If you check below I did your name the used the USA flag as a background image, in the first image the whole name shows but in the second one I made 'Shahid' bigger and some of the letters dissapeared.
    Your question about 560 x 420, yes this is the pixel size of the canvas, if you want your image to be that big you need to increase the text to fill the canvas - don't forget you will also need to make your flag image big enough too! You increase your text size by clicking on your text to select it then clicking on 'format' in the text menu on the left. Now you should see a slider called scale which controls the text size.

To get the built in shapes into your logo you need to click and hold down the left mouse button and drag the shape on to the canvas.

7. KD-did

KD-did

To use the built in shapes found under embedded fonts you will type a letter.
    o renders an oval, c renders a large circle and C a smaller circle, h renders a hexagon. For the complete list to use the shapes dingbats. The screen shots are not as clean of an image as you will get using the dingbat.
    http://www.thelogocreator.com/tutorial_07.htm