logo clean-up

Discussion in 'Help wanted with my design' started by fishmaven, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishmaven

fishmaven

I sent a copy of the logo I worked up to the printer that I've used before for other things. When he returned my call he had several comments.
    1. He sends cards out now.
    2. The colors I selected are not the "norm" and will be more expensive.
    3. My card needs to be touched up because of "dots" appearing throughout.
    So, I've got some questions:
    1. I might as well use printers that you recommend if he would send the card out anyway. If I use one of these printers do they "clean-up" my logo or use TLC and therefore get a cleaner shot to begin with?
    2.What colors ARE the norm??
    3.How much more are the exotic colors than the norm?
    4. Obviously, I want a professional card, should I just bite the bullet and pay whatever, or stick to my ideas and try to touch this up myself?
    Thanks, Dan
    Should I post a copy of my logo here? Would that help?

2. KD-did

KD-did

Don, yes it would help to see what you are talking about. The dots (artifacts) may or may not be there depending on such things as the viewer being used to view your logo , programs used to prepare images for import into TLC. On the matter of color no 2 people nor monitors see color the same...but there are colors that are considered more safe than others.

You could do a test on your business card with your computer and printer.

What format did you export in?

3. fishmaven

fishmaven

I exported in gif, tiff and jpeg and sent him each of the three. He said he tried each. When he printed it out on his laser printer he realized I wasn't going to be pleased.
    Dan

Attached Files:

4. fishmaven

fishmaven

I meant for the type to be white except for the gradients in DM PROPERTIES. The two blocks, one a light purple and the other a darker shade. My name was the same as the darker block. Thanks,Dan

5. fishmaven

fishmaven

I did a printout on my computer but it's an inexpensive ink jet, Epson C82. I have a more expensive printer too but it's an ink jet also. I printed the test, two sizes. I also printed the cards on a test, ten cards per sheet.They looked okay but not crisp. I didn't outline the type. I didn't want outlines. When I went to the print resource they asked for fonts that were outlined. Can I outline the fonts to be crisp but not show on the cards?
    Thanks,Dan

6. KD-did

KD-did

Try a PDF export of your logo. Printers will often request a PDF format...they seem crisper anyways. It may show your colors truer to what your TLC file looks like. You might try outlining the gradient text in white or the first color choosen for the gradient and scaling it to 1.

Being your guy needs to send out I would go with Marc's recommendation.

7. fishmaven

fishmaven

Here it is in jpeg. When I look at each I like the jpeg less. I'll try going back and outlining the text in white. Thanks,Dan
    Oops, the up load is too large. would that mess up the transfer? I see what I can do to reduce the file size.

8. fishmaven

fishmaven

Duh... you asked about pdf and I immediately went to jpeg, sorry. I'll try pdf. File is too large 125 vs 105. How do I make it smaller?

9. KD-did

KD-did

Here is what Marc says about getting criper business cards
    # Step 1: Create your logo
    # Step 2: Under the EXPORT menu, check "CMYK" (just select it. It'll toggle off and on).
    # Step 3: Under the EXPORT menu, select "Export Resolution". Set this to 300dpi
    # Step 4: Under the EXPORT menu, choose "Custom Export"
    # Step 5: Push the TIFF button, then push the EXPORT button. Export this logo to your desktop (or whereever you prefer) .
    # Step 6: Hop over to our affiliate Online printshop PSPrint.com

When a file is too big I often will start as if a new logo and importing the whole exported file image onto the blank canvas. Then I use the scale and scale the entire image down and then export that. Quick and dirty but I found it daves me time and prevents me from screwing up the orgiginal export file/s.

10. fishmaven

fishmaven

When you start a new logo the size is 540X420. In the process of doing my logo I somehow got to 742X424. Is the size important?

11. KD-did

KD-did

Important to who? You can always set the size of your export under "export" and then cusyom export. For ease of posting in the forum you could always use the high rez quarter.

12. fishmaven

fishmaven

Sending proper size image to press

At psprint I was directed to crop my image to 3.75 inches by 2.25 inches. I think that's 950X550?? So going backwards from one of your messages, what I need to do is set a canvas at 950X550, then import an exported image, then "scale" it to fit the canvas. I know how to do smething like that in Pagemaker but not in Logo Creator. Is there a quick and dirty or a tutorial to tell me how?? Dan

13. KD-did

KD-did

If you import the whole logo export onto a clean preset canvas all you'll have to do is use the slidebar to size it to fit the canvas. and export :) Make sure you lable it a little differently so you know what export is the correct one for sending.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.