Loading new fonts

Discussion in 'Hints and Tips' started by wmsebastian, Feb 24, 2005.

1. wmsebastian

wmsebastian

How would you load a new font into TLC? As an image?

2. KD-did

KD-did

After downloading and unzipping a new font I "move" just the new font to the OS's font folder. For me that Window's font folder. It will then show up in TLC's systems fonts.:)

3. wmsebastian

wmsebastian

Thanks

Thanks - nice piece of software

4. chuck9997

chuck9997

Can you help.. I downloaded a font.. and followed the instructions above... the unzipped font appears in the file at C:/windows/fonts.. along with other fonts. But when I use TLC or even Word Perfect.. the new font does not appear in the list.. I am baffled..

thanks for any help.

5. KD-did

KD-did

chuck9997, you might want t look and see if they are there after a cold reboot.
    There is more than one way to make sure fonts get installed.
    Instructions for Downloading and Installing in Windows

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/TrueTypeInstallWin95.mspx the how to in pictures

Click on the download for the font you want. (In Windows, you may need to right-click on the link, and select "Save Target As..." [Internet Explorer] or "Save Link As..." [Netscape Navigator] in order for your browser to give you the opportunity to save the file to your hard drive.)

Save it to the folder of your choice on your computer.

Click on "Start" > "Settings" > "Control Panel".

Double-click on "Fonts".

Click on "File" > "Install New Fonts."

The "Add Fonts" dialog box will open; using the "Folder" and "Drive" fields, navigate to the folder to which you downloaded the fonts.

Select the fonts you wish to install.

Click "OK"

Or you can use a font manager like THE FONT THING . Not only can you install or uninstall fonts using a manger .. you can view what the font looks like , you can use the charactermap to see all the characters in the font set...even hidden ones.

Or you do an installation like I dowhen I want to install many new fonts or ding bats.. First I download to my desktop briefcase . I unzip the fonts and send the font files to a folder that I send all my unzipped fonts files to under My documents called "fonts" . You want only the font files not the docs that often accompany downloads...but you will want to read them.. I then double click my font folder. Click edit..select all. then tell it to move all the selected files to the Windows font folder. Even though I am not told to a shut down my computer totally. Windows will update it self with the new fonts .

6. chuck9997

chuck9997

Thanks for your help... this part worked

(Click on "Start" > "Settings" > "Control Panel".
    4.Double-click on "Fonts".
    5.Click on "File" > "Install New Fonts."
    6.The "Add Fonts" dialog box will open; using the "Folder" and "Drive" fields, navigate to the folder to which you downloaded the fonts.
    7.Select the fonts you wish to install.
    8.Click "OK"

couple of things though.. When I clicked OK.. it said the font was already installed... but I clicked OK anyway.. The particular font I downloaded.. (Sell Your Soul) did not work with all the letters in TLC.. I typed "Testing One Two Three.. and only the "O" and the "o" would show up.

7. KD-did

KD-did

Sounds like a font that must be purchased.

8. chuck9997

chuck9997

No... it's a free font... TLC just doesn't work with system fonts... I have tried for a year to add new fonts. They are installed properly on my pc.. they just never show up in TLC. It is so frustrating.

9. KD-did

KD-did

Just today I had a similar problem. I changed from WinZip to ZipGenius and when I extracted the font to my system fonts file it did NOT show up in TLC although it was installed.So I uninstalled it from the font file and went with my usual way of installing... which I extract it to a file I call "font holding" from there I moved it into Windows fonts. WAALAA it is now showing up in
    TLC.

10. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Huh! VERY interesting KD!

I'll have to give this one a try.
    The Logo Creator can see most (most) TrueType fonts.

Some fonts - mainly the free fonts - are not created with an outline. This outline feature is in there, or its not, due to the way the artist created the font.

If the outline font isn't there - TLC won't be able to read it.

But your suggestion is great KD. If any body else tries this, let me know if this works.

- Marc

11. KD-did

KD-did

It looked to me as if some zip programs do extract a file but will put it as a subfolder under fonts and that is why Windows will show it as installed and can be used but TLC can't see it.