Jim Mattson, Florida Keys Attorney

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself!' started by jmattson, Feb 14, 2009.

1. jmattson

jmattson

I joined this forum to see if I can absorb some of the advice on website design. I've managed my own website since 1996, and a wine business site from 1998-2003, but the devil is always in the details. I'm in the process of updating my mattsonlaw website from Frontpage 2003 to Expression Web 2. Now I suppose I should pay attention to Search Engine Optimization, as I discovered that over 50% of the site's visitors are skipping the plethora of legal pages, and focusing on a single page of oil spill photos (from one of my other lives). I also have a blog on Google's blogspot site, but I don't have much control over the look of that site.:Working:

2. perfectjewel

perfectjewel

Hi Jim,

You certainly should focus on SEO for your website if you want to attract new viewers. I'm sure I don't have to tell you to keep your meta tags and copy relevant without getting spammy. For your plethora of legal pages, I would find titles that pull your visitor in. Put yourself in the consumer's shoes and try to determine what's important to them. Also get some graphics interspersed with the copy. You should also consider doing that on your blog. It's been proven people respond better to photos and copy than copy alone.

I'm not sure whether it's my computer at this moment since I have a lot going on, but your website took a long time to load for me.

3. KD-did

KD-did

4. jmattson

jmattson

Thanks, Perfect Jewel. I haven't uploaded any of the new EW2 pages yet, though I've been working on them, off and on, for the past three weeks. It's been a trial to convert my old pages, with their "ancient" html tags, etc., and ferret out all of the bad tags & replace them. I am at the point where I have about 25 - 30 "compliant" pages, and I plan to attach them as a subweb to the old website. This way I can send out the url to readers of this forum, as well as my clients, who wonder why they don't see any new information on the site.

I was never very search engine oriented, because this was primarily a site that allowed clients to keep up with what was going on, without feeling the need to pick up the phone and ask me what's up. But given the nature of our practice over the past several years (regulatory takings), it is possible that lawyers in other jurisdictions might well be interested.

The speed problem you mention might only be an issue on the oil spill photo page. I suppose I should spread them out on several pages.
    :Working: