Is 300 dpi even possible with Laughingbird Software?

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by gotawebsite, Oct 17, 2013.

1. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

Is there a way to produce 300 dpi with Laughingbird Software. Though I'm able to produce great projects, my works are subordinate to those produced at 300 dpi by other designers. In comparison, pixelated noisy art can get quite embarrassing when printed and/or published to the web.

If not, is there some alternate way to get my projects up to 300 dpi? I spend several hours working on my Laughingbird projects. So it would be a little upsetting to learn that they'll never exceed 96 dpi. We users deserve the ability to save our projects in a way that will keep them as sharp as they appear in the editor.. wouldn't you agree? But don't get me wrong, clearly I'm a fan of Marc and Laughingbird Software... I'm just saying o_O

2. KD-did

KD-did

Currently not possible in TLC, however, if you are Windows format it can be done in Irfanview or other image editors on your computer or online.. Under image click to resize your exported file. See attachment

Irfanview is available for download for FREE. http://www.irfanview.com/

Attached Files:

gotawebsite likes this.
  3. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

Thanks KD-did... I'll check it out. Big hug!

4. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Your output resolution is printer dependent. DPI and PPI are two terms used incorrectly, daily.

Problems rear up when resizing a smaller logo (lets say 500 x 500 pixels) to something that will appear on a poster for example. That 500 x 500 pixel dimension will give you 250,000 bytes of info to work with. At times customers have sent the thumbnail image image into a place like staples, not realizing the thumbnail is really small.

The business card templates print up beautifully because their template size is actually quite big, but the information used is printed up in the area the size of a business card.

People get nice results, at larger sizes, by vectorizing their images.

So your local place (like staples) loads your pix up you want printed at 11 x 17, THEIR SOFTWARE IS GOING TO TELL THEM THE PIX IS AT 72DPI-- IT IS THE DEFAULT VALUE OF THE SOFTWARE..

That "72 dpi" rears it's ugly head time and time again because it is a standard measurement in the printing industry--- there are 72 "points" to a vertical inch. A font size of 36 means the font will print at 1/2 inch tall.

72 DPI is a standard number used is just about all photo editing software (Adobe photoshop for example) and also is the default value used by most software used at places like office depot or staples.

To keep the "Images as sharp as they are in the editor" would be a mistake. WHY? The vast majority of lcd screens display stuff only about 95-120 DPI.

Here is a link that explains it further.

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2010/02/the-myth-of-dpi/

gotawebsite likes this.
  5. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

Thanks for your response, but I'm terribly confused - even with Web Designer Depot's explanation. So let's take a different approach, by example: I posted a Facebook header created with the software to the web and its lost the clarity that was displayed in the editor. As a matter of fact, even the text has less become less legible. When I checked resolution on my desktop it was 96 pixels/inch. Shouldn't increasing the resolution to 300 pixels/inch improved the header's appearance on the web?

And apologies, I didn't use the correct terminology in this posts heading. But in the most simple terms, I just need to know what to do to make my images look better. After tons of work, art published to the web doesn't look very nice and its really discouraging. Especially considering that graphics produced with other software and posted to the web are often razor sharp. There has to be a simple way for us users to know what to tweak so that whether we're printing or publishing to the web - our graphics are always produced so as to maximize the potential of Laughingbird software, thereby producing the highest quality possible. - Once again, thanks for your response!

6. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

Back again - So stick with a default (95-120) pixels/inch for the web, and the highest resolution possible (up to 300) for print?... Is this correct? Btw, been doing some research for the past hour, and I think Facebook is known for blurring headers due to compression. Somewhat relieved but my brain really hurts! I depend on you guys' translation of the complex into things easily conceived, obviously this time to no avail!

Will I be okay? #dumbfounded :eek:

7. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

It's easy to wrap your head around this 72 dpi / 300 ppi etc stuff-- the vast majority of people don't really understand it anyway.....

"I just need to know what to do to make my images look better." That is a great sentence, I'm gonna use it in the future if that's ok with you.

Make sure when you export an image to print or use on a web site you are not dealing with the thumbnail of the finished logo. Ifyou need help understanding that, let me know....

Facebook does compress it's images to save space and transfer time.

The logo creator uses PPI (Pixels per inch)-- instead of inches WHY? Screen resolutions differ greatly.

1. Do not concern yourself with that 95-120 pixel / inch for the web. I can upload a huge photo (60MB) that I edited in photoshop and saved as a resolution of 1200 ppi, but it's gonna look just as nice as a 1MB photo saved at a resolution of 150ppi---WHY? Screen resolution.

2. Equate screen resolution with regular Television. Equate Printing stuff with HD Television.

3. If you are going to send something off to be printed, ALWAYS make the logo size as big as humanly possible. That gives you more Information to work with.

4. The business card templates print up very nicely because the template size is pretty pretty large. 1260 x 735= 926100 bytes of info squeezed into a little 2" x 3.5" rectangle. Now imagine using that same 1260 x 735 amount of info, but applied to a image which is 8 x 10" (like a photo). Those pixels have to work harderto fill in that biggersize- and that is where that pixellation comes from.

5. GO TO THIS WEB SITE AND SPEND ABOUT 10 MINUTES PUNCHING IN DIFFERENT NUMBERS-- it will help you to "see the light" so to speak.

http://tiporama.com/tools/pixels_inches.html

gotawebsite likes this.
  8. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

I think I understand now. The light bulb is dim, but thank God its on!

9. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

Now, my new-found knowledge does raise questions (Apologies, LOL): Remember this thread: http://www.laughingbirdsoftware.com...-or-youtube-channel-banners.10799/#post-68407

..during which you dropped a template that I could use to create a social media banner? Our members like me capable of generating such TLC .zip files? The reason I ask is because I'm trying to design for web and print for corporate identity. Now the the image resolution for the web is out of our way, of course print resolution has become my focus. I don't know if you remember our past email thread, but please check your email. This way I can continue this conversation from my Android phone while I'm at work this evening.. of course with your schedule permitting.

10. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Yes, it's quite simple to share complete templates.

1. When you save a working template every gets stuffed into its own little yellow folder, with the name of the template you chose.

2. The contents of those yellow folders change as you work on the template. You add some text, thats a file added to that folder, add a swoosh, that's another file. Some templates you make may have only 3 files in that yellow folder, other may have upwards of 10 or more files.

3. TO CREATE A ZIP FILE SO YOU CAN SHARE THE TEMPLATE:

A. Locate the yellow folder with the name of the template.
    B. Using winzip (there are other zipping programs out there) just add that yellow folder to a zip archive. Be sure you can locate the filled once zipped.

my templates.JPG

gotawebsite likes this.
  11. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

Hey KD-did. I bet you've been laughing at this thread. You pretty much posted a link that resolved my problem. And I even thanked you for it. Before actually trying it however, I just proceeded on with this thread taking up all gcuneo2's time. I did learn alot, and as far as I can tell the software works great, is highly acclaimed, etc. So now I can increase my dpi for print without compromising the dimensions of my projects. On the plus side, from what G. just taught me, I've drawn (3) conclusions and have put things well into perspective... or a least I think so:

1. Web: Don't worry about image resolutions!

2. Print: The more excessive the dimensions at which a project is created, the more data smushed into smaller (actual) print dimensions. So 72 dpi may work just fine respectively.

3. Print: Projects can be created using actual dimensions, then increased to 300 dpi while preserving those dimensions.. which is where IrfanView comes in.

Apologies, but I'm laughing at myself on this one :D

12. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

G. and KD-did.. you guys are awesome! The light bulb is burning bright!

13. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Much of my help is based upon my own experience. I will have to mess around with that Ifanview software and add it to my responses.

gotawebsite likes this.
  14. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Be careful with the infanview--- changing resolution of an image and keeping the output size the same can be a real bear.....

gotawebsite likes this.
  15. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

Thanks for the heads-up on IrfanView gcuneo2. I just took notice of the change in output size just after I made the above post. It's a minor issue considering that I now have a much better understand of resolutions for web and print, which is really important for anyone aspiring to start a design business. I'm doing some short-term planning, and this stumbling block is something that I really needed a firm grasp on. Mission accomplished!.. Thanks so much :)

16. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

Can we briefly revisit my post from yesterday, during which I may not have conveyed myself very well?

http://www.laughingbirdsoftware.com...-or-youtube-channel-banners.10799/#post-68407

Do you recall the above link-thread? I don't know how you did it, but you created a 2560 x 1440 pixel YouTube banner for TLC V6.6 ...and referred to it as "experimental!" Well my friend, I'm sure that I don't have to tell you that your "experiment" works very well - so well that I would like for you to teach me how to create a blank template for my own use in custom dimensions that exceed TLC V6.6's limitations of 1440 x 1440 pixels.

At your previous recommendation during another post, I am a 7Zip user. But if you tell me that I need WinZip to create my own blank templates for TLC, then I'm about to tear down I-75 to Staples to purchase it because my ability to work on projects that exceed 1440 x 1440 is that important. Let us begin with...

Step 1. Open zip program on desktop

Okay G., please take it from here - time permitting of course!

17. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

THE FREE VERSION OF WINZIP IS FINE. THE PAID VERSION HAS LOTS OF BELLS AND WHISTLES THAT 99% OF USERS WILL NEVER USE.

7 ZIP IS FINE TOO.

I just recommend something other than the zipping tool native to windows.... betcha ya didn't even know it had a zipping utility built in.....

TO CREATE TEMPLATES BIGGER THAT THE 1440 X 1440 ALLOWED IN 6.6....

1. Make them in 6.0. I formatted the canvas for a new template in 6.0 to 2880 x 2880.
    1A. give the template a name that makes sense.
    2. Open 6.6
    3. Select my templates.
    4. Select your big template. TADA!

I recommend you put some text on the blank templates: "Business Card" "Shipping Label" etc... to let you know what you are looking at when in the MY TEMPLATES directory, otherwise all you will see are big empty white squares....

gotawebsite likes this.
  18. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

Success! ...Even more awesomeness! You might inquire of Marc as to whether he minds you setting up to create custom templates up to 2880 x 2880 for a small fee like $10 a pop, 3 blanks for $20, etc. I dare to speculate that you'll make a few dollars from 6.6 users who don't won't the headache, or have already deleted 6.0 from their PC's. All you need is a single webpage with a PayPal button and brief service description linked to your forum signature. Who knows, he may even provide you with some back-end capability that will enable you to exceed 2880 x 2880. And if that ever happens mind you, I'm likely to be your first customer. - Thanks G, I'd tell you that you rock ...but you already know it!

19. gotawebsite

gotawebsite

Btw, windows zip sucks!! Apologies ...LOL

20. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Glad I could help. I just make templates and send them out to folks as they need them if it's something they cant do with 6.6.

You can also say"HEY! I've done this much on this template, can you finish it for me?" You zip that active template into one file and send it off.

I'm always spending time trying to figure out how to make 6.0 do more stuff. LIke this: I changed the background picture of 6.0!

trick 1.JPG

gotawebsite likes this.