Imported fonts in Logo Creator

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by PatentGuy, Aug 17, 2009.

1. PatentGuy

PatentGuy

I am running TLC(v5) on a Mac (10.5.8). I would like to use a font in my logo that I use in other business print pieces. The font is a TTF TrueType installed in the /library/fonts directory of my Mac. The font works in other applications (Word, LiveType, etc). When I select a word in the logo editor and change the font, it finds the font in the "system fonts" list, but if I select one of my downloaded fonts it does not change the displayed image. It just closes the selection box.

2. KD-did

KD-did

Unfortunately there are no easy answers to your inquiry... even with big ticket applications with commonly used fonts there can be an issue. Some fonts are going to just be problematic no matter what ......some fonts may not even work at all in some applications and then there are others that will work in one specific program even though the fonts are seen in the system font folder in the preview window. Some fonts may be viewable but unusable or have been installed by a program into a sub folder/s which TLC can not access.

Just look into how some fonts will work with some applications but not others.

http://media.24ways.org/2007/17/fontmatrix.html

Fonts is one of the main reasons I started running both platforms (Win and Mac) on my iMac using Parallels Desktop.... more times than not I can run TLC without font issues ...same EXACT fonts will run in TLC on the Win side but the same font won't run at all on the Mac side. Even stranger yet is why a .tlc file will work on either side with the embedded fonts but when system fonts are involved it is an iffy hit or miss proposition...and even closing the application .

My work around before running both platforms was to do my text in a font friendly application 3rd party software ... either a desktop publishing or other application that would allow versatility with built in text effects and just import it as an image onto my canvas.

3. PatentGuy

PatentGuy

Thanks, I will find an alternate font or try the image import workaround. I was just trying to keep everything in vector format to make exporting/resizing easier. Your knowledge and quick response are appreciated.

4. KD-did

KD-did

I really have the best of both worlds running both platforms on my iMac to avoid the font issues and not having to use the work around unless I want to. Most of the time I work on the Mac putting my TLC work together then open and use the .tlc file with Win TLC on the Win side to edit the text using the desired font.

As an imported image resizing in TLC wouldn't be an issue and you can always convert your files to vector at the completion of your work. Use your Word for your text and you'll be good to go.

You can also see if the font has an alias/clone that might work.
    http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/fonts/a/lookalikefonts.htm