1. New Software Notice alert!

The new Web Graphics Creator (version 4.0) will be out soon.

For now, version 3.0 is still active and works great on most Windows machines. It no longer runs on Macs using Lion or greater... (but the new version will fix this)

So hang in there! It's almost done!

Images not sharp!

Discussion in 'Web Graphics Creator' started by clubbuilder, Jan 21, 2007.

1. clubbuilder

clubbuilder

I have read the whole forum twice, but I did not find the answer to my problem.

I create very sharp images in The Art Center and saved via jpg. When I add them to the spinning box, my text is blurry not sharp.

I have read the post that gave me the canvas dimensions for each e-book in the program. I am using Template #5 (front and back 373 X 544) (Side 70 x 542).

I am using these images on the 3d spinning box, with option number 2 selected (the standard book with the black cover).

I don't know what people are referring to when they say render? Does this mean re-size?

Anyway, can anyone tell me why my text is blurry? Is this a canvas size problem? (All steps were taken directly in The web graphic software, and no other programs were used.)

2. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Can you post your images or one of them here. Let me try it on my PC. I want to see if it happens to me.

3. clubbuilder

clubbuilder

Images

These are the images saved on my computer:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They look alot clearer on my desktop and here, than they do uploaded! I did make the size of the canvas to this: (front and back 373 X 544) before I even started to add text or pictures. The spine size is: 115 x 517. It is even worse than the links below(cannot read most of the text), once it is put on the spinning book. So I don't know why it is so clear in my Art Center, and so blurry online.

I have not modified the size at all, since the original blank canvas creation.

Here are the uploaded pics, and they are not very clear:
    http://www.buildgolfclubs.com/BuildGolfClubs%20-%20Front03.jpg
    http://www.buildgolfclubs.com/BuildGolfClubs%20-%20Spine03.jpg

4. paperclip

paperclip

I think it has to do with rendering. When you save something into jpeg, it will have a percentage of "quality" you must choose. If you choose anything less than 100% you start losing quality. As little as 85% will give you pretty decent pictures, but often you need the 100% to have nice sharp pics. I would look into that, as well as (if supported by the program you are using) try .png files.

5. clubbuilder

clubbuilder

O.K. so rendering is most likely the problem

I am saving my images in the Art Center to .jpg and 100% qaulity.

Here is what I need to know. I assumed the distorted image had to do with the stretching and shrinking of the image to fit the box.

With that being said, I need to know exactly what size the canvas is for the spinning e-book. To find this book that I am using:

Go to: Ebook Covers > Spinning 3d Book (3rd option)> Choose a 3d Model Tab > and then I choose the 2nd option which is the black ebook and has Digital Creativity on the front Cover. (not the software box). What size is this canvas for the front/back and spine?

Also, I am assuming that I want to use the exact canvas size in the Art Center, that matches the e-book or software box that I am putting the image on. So the text does not become distorted, because the image is not stretched or shrunk. Is this correct?

Last, I have one more question. I am aware that I can make the jpg or gif any size as I am saving the completed book. If I want the image on my website to be say, "135 X 264" instead of the default size, do I need to make the original canvas in the Art Center to be 135 X 264 so the image does not become distored? Or should I make it full size, put it on the book, and then save to a different size?

I wouldn't be asking so many questions but the images above took me over 45 minutes to create. I don't want to keep spending this amount of time to find my images distored. Need them Crisp!

6. Chris

Chris Staff Member

Hey clubbuilder. One thing i would recommend is to remove the shadow backdrop behind the text. That seems to make it harder to read the wording.

Now as far as the canvas goes yes make the canvas the size it needs to be exactly so that the image is not changed in size when imported into the program.

Also try this site. This user made a list of the sizes the images need to be:

http://www.graymattergraphics.com/html/ecc_dimensions.html

I think once they get to the right size you will see a difference. Let me know what happens.

7. clubbuilder

clubbuilder

What size is the spinning 3d ebook?

Thank you. I still have one problem. I do have the page you supplied with the canvas sizes right next to my computer (had it from the beginning).

I believe when I read the original post, that the dimensions for the link above were created for the old software of E-book before it was merged into Web Graphics Creator. The canvas demensions above, do not explain the spinning e-books and software boxes.

Because my images are squeezed, and looking at the spinning ebook there is no way the canvas size for the ebook is: Template #5 (front and back 373 X 544) (Side 70 x 542). Anyone know the size of the spinning e-book canvas size? (It is not supplied in the link above)

8. clubbuilder

clubbuilder

I have if figured out

Thank you everybody for your input, I finally figured out the program. The spinning e-book is a huge file and smaller than the other templates, so I decided to just go with the 3d book.

I understand why you couldn't give me exact answers, because the book can be saved, stretched, skewed, pulled, and rotated into many different sizes (So there are thousands of options for sizes). Rendering after you get the image you like is the way to preserve the image.

For the newbies the more you turn the book for a 3d look, the more your text will not look as clean.

I do love the program as it does give me so many options for look and control of my book.

There is only one thing I don't like: When I save the e-book, I then have to cut the e-book out in Photoshop and put it on a new canvas (because even with the invisible png. save feature, the background is just to big). I know this is so we can add other features, like shadow and other options, but I just wish we could save the e-book without all the extra background options and size. This would make sizing the e-book much more exact.

Once again I do love the program, and thank you everyone for your help!

9. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi Club!
    Thanks very much for your post.

I'm happy to hear all is working for you now.
    (post a link to your eBook if you can! We'd love to see it!)

As for bringing the 3D eCover into Photoshop to crop it, yes... this is something you can do. By all means, if you have Photoshop, don't be afraid to use it to enhance your 3d image!

You can also export the 3D eCover and bring it back into the Art Center portion of The Web Graphics Creator! Export it from the 3D area as a PNG with transparency. Launch the Art Center and choose "Import" from the File menu.

Here, you can add a text overlay, and actually crop the image a bit tighter by dragging the canvas closer to the eCover image.

Re-export it all as a jpeg!
    (see image below for an example)

There's a tutorial on this here

- Marc

Attached Files:

10. clubbuilder

clubbuilder

I appreciate your follow up.

So that's how you crop the image. Thank you for the follow up, your way seems to be better (alot of trial and error directly in photoshop).

Just wanted to say, that there is no other e-book compiler with your features for the price! I know I spent 1 whole week researching. I also own the Logo Creator and your products are superior.

Here is a link to my book. You can see the image I created (I like the way it looks, so I left the 3d shadow).
    http://www.buildgolfclubs.com/sales.html

As you can see, I need to update my website banners.

Here is my banner for my search engine created with Logo Creator (Simple but gets a high click through ration):
    http://www.buildgolfclubs.com/best100/images/bullman.jpg

Anyway, thank you for your help. I buy alot of software programs, and some customer service is just better. I also offer customer service like yours and trust me, it builds happy repeat customers. Your response times were very speedy, and that makes me like your product even more. Thanks again!

11. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi ClubBuilder!
    thanks for your kind words. I appreciate them.

I've taken a look at your eBook. Thanks for posting.
    I do have a few suggestions to improve it a bit.

The font's outline you've used is what (I think) is making the image look a bit pixelated. Try creating a very thick outline over the text, then, duplicate the text (CTRL+D) and turn off the outline over this duplicate. There's a tutorial on this here.

Here's my image with the above technique.
    (see attached image below).

Attached Files: