Illustrator CS2 "Live Trace" Feature to convert Bitmaps to Vector format

Discussion in 'Resource & Recommendations' started by fg2000, Jul 25, 2006.

1. fg2000

fg2000

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you have used the "Live Trace" feature in Illustrator CS2 to trace a bitmap and convert it to editable and scaleable vector paths. I read that this particular version does it much better than previous versions.

If you have had past experience doing this, please let me know if you were pleased with the results. I am considering purchasing Illustrator CS2 but would like some feedback prior to making a decision.

Thanks very much.

2. Borpean

Borpean Staff Member

fg2000,

CS2's live trace saves a lot of time making artwork into vector. However, even thought they market it as "with pne click, your work is now vector!", you still have to take the time to clean up your work.

It is great for simple line drawings. Colored complex images such as photos or even full color logos (with drop shadows, effects etc.) needs some work and pretty much need to recreate it. But again, it does save time.
    The simpler the design the better. I am happy with CS2, but have had Illustrator since version 5, this is just a nice added tool.

Hope this helps.

3. Chris

Chris Staff Member

You have posted this question twice. Please keep with your first post. It can get confusing trying to keep up when a topic is posted twice. :)

I am gonna move borpean answer into the topic you started on this. I will remove your second post of this topic. This way others can follow the topic easier.