I think there's something missing from this awesome product...

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by Dean Harrison, Nov 15, 2012.

?

How would you like to see a search funtion in the TLC

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No Preference

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dean Harrison

Dean Harrison

Hi,

I'm not new to TLC, but I am new to this forum. I've been using Marc's products for several years now and I think they're overlooked by so many people. So easy to use and such amazing results. However.......

I think there's a huge over site in the development, imho. When I get a request from someone to make a logo, banner, header, etc., I start looking for certain elements that would work well with the design idea. It really just hit me today, out of shear frustration, where in the world is the search function in TLC? Its not there!

I think it would put a great finishing touch on an already awesome product to be able to type in "real estate" into a search bar and get back a ton, or maybe only a couple, elements that might match my criteria. Even more, allow users to tag elements and aggregate these tags back into the product database itself the way google does with images. I know it would save me so much time [a.k.a. $$$].

Keep up the good work on producing great products, but PLEASE consider this missing functionality for any major upgrade. It will truly be welcomed by everyone, I am sure.

Anybody second that?

Thanks,

Dean

2. IanMcRV

IanMcRV

There is a search function but you have to exit TLC, open your browser and do

images.google.com

think copyright :)

3. Dean Harrison

Dean Harrison

I'm not sure I understand. I meant searching thru the images that came with the product.

Sometimes it seems that I remember seeing a great icon/image/shape etc, but can't seem to remember which category it's located in "within the software", and thus I have to search a lot harder for it.

4. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

What you are talking about is having a printed catalog of all the logos, and elements, or being able to type in "Bue orbs" and come up with a list of all the orbs in the program.

For the print version:
    You could be fiddle fartin' in a park looking through the book of images, and deciding on what you are going to use..... 10 years ago when you bought a cd of clipart you often would get a printed book that weighed a ton-- it had images of everything on the cd.....

I've put quite a bit of effort in trying to making my own catalogue, that's searchable, and I've come to this conclusion: It's not worth my effort, and I don't need it..... others may.

I'm sure Marc, the owner of Laughingbird Software, could make a printed catalog, But I would imagine that could easily double the price of the software.... also designing and implementing a detailed search tool can be done, but again, it probably would affect the pricing of the product.

The Names of the templates, at times, don't make much sense: DotCo for example. Now, within each folder containing a template there is a thumbnail of the completed template with all the elements together--- it's the image you see when you "Choose a template set" .

THE METHOD BELOW IS QUICK AND EASY.....
    What I've done in the two posted images is I used the SNIP tool built into windows and did 2 screen captures of the Baldy Bob and KiKi Library. You see the logos, and all their elements (shapes, swooshes, orbs, etc...) you could print these up, toss em a 3 ring binder to show people-- quite often the client knows they want a logo, but just like me, lack the "creative juice" to start off with something from scratch.

This may work for you. This only took me 30 seconds to do and you get to see all the basic logos in one set. Please remember that virtually everything you see can be changed: the background, the text, the elements....

bb 1 of 2.JPG

bb 2 of 2.JPG

Now let me describe my logo creator stuff:

I have tons of custom made libraries of elements, my own logos, and lots of basic image libraries... over 5GB worth of images / logos / clipart / etc....--- I literally have access to thousands of separate elements---all which I access through the Logo Creator Software. I don't need to know the name of the logo template, I just select a library template set (The facebook timeline set, or the bussiness card templates?) For example.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    snginc and gunsmoke like this.
  5. IanMcRV

IanMcRV

Ah, of course, please forgive my misunderstanding.

You may be able to use Windows Explorer for this, Windows key + e to open it quickly.

But this will only work if all the elements, graphics etc. are in some folder somewhere (i'm looking now) if so then:

Just navigate to the folder highest up in your hierarchy of logos/graphic elements then use the search function top-right to search for individual files.
    You can also change the 'details' to large icons or extra large icons to search visually using the 'Change your view' dropdown under the search field.

For your own creations this will probably work best if you adopt the habit of saving an image .jpg or .png of each of your icons in the same folder as the icon files with names that will make your search easier.

Another thing you can do is that once you have navigated to the correct folder from which to begin your search, you can drag the little yellow folder in the path field onto your desktop to create a shortcut, you can then right-click and give that shortcut a shortcut key, say something like L so that you can open it at any time by doing Ctrl L
    (you get the idea).

Hope this has been of help.

ian

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  6. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

My 2 cents ... A printed catalog is pointless. Sure, it might show all the graphics that came with TLC. But as gcuneo2 points out, I've added thousands ( if not more ) graphics. I have no idea how to 'search' for one in particular ( unless I remember part of the filename ) so what I do is place them in categorized folders to at least narrow down the search.

snginc and gcuneo2 like this.