How to get the colors to match?

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by Ryally, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Ryally

Ryally

when making my logo I noticed that I can not get the colors to match perfectly. Can someone help me with my logo to get it to look right?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. KD-did

KD-did

I am not exactly clear on what it is you are trying to match.

3. Ryally

Ryally

The red color in the "running man and the lettering that says Kathalynas" is not exactly the same color of red and I was trying to figure out how to get them to exactly match.

Thanks

4. KD-did

KD-did

The best way in my opinion is to use the RGB color pallet and input the color code.

5. Doc

Doc Staff Member

KD-did offered the best advice to get the colors as close to each other as possible. To expand on her post and explain why the colors appear to be very different shades of red I'm afraid I am going to get a bit techy :image10:

There are two main reasons why the colors look different, perception and anti-aliasing

Perception Colors appear different shades dependent on the colour surrounding them. One line of you text has a black outline while the other does not. This is why the two different text lines will never look the exactly the same shade. An extreme example showing how the same color can appear to be totally different depending on the surrounding color is demonstrated on the web site below (scroll down and click on color perception 2)
    http://www.echalk.co.uk/amusements/OpticalIllusions/illusions.htm

Anti-Aliasing A bitmap picture is made up of dots (pixels) so where a curve has been drawn, the outline would appear very jagged. To minimise this the software subtly alters the color of pixels around the edge of the curve to minimise the jagged look of the curve. Below is a picture of part of your text magnified several thousand percent, and as you can see the colors have been modified to smooth the curve as much as possible.

Attached Files:

6. 3DS

3DS

Forgive me for interjecting here. But after what both KD & Doc suggested, got me thinking.

It looks like you used a drop shadow on these elements right? And it looks like the running man's shadow value is less than the title's shadow value. This could explain why your colors don't seem to match. Even after making sure they are the same color from the palette that KD mentioned & the illusion that Doc mentioned.

Sooo, make sure you use the same effects values on one element and repeat them on the other. For example; take note of the numbers you used, use the same values of drop shadow and angle from the title as on the man. See if that helps. One thing in mind, I believe the drop shadows or outlines of long pointy edges will still look a little different than other areas, depending how close or far away you use them.

Another thought is your title and logo shapes could also be conflicting with each other just a little bit. One is very straight up & down, rounded edges...the other elements are very sharp and angled. A few other things to keep in mind in your composition. See if the first idea clears most of that up for you.

7. Ryally

Ryally

Thank you for the advice I will play with it and see if this helps.