How To Create An A4 Size Poster/Logo

Discussion in 'General Support' started by Paintbrush4u, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Paintbrush4u

Paintbrush4u

Hi,

I wanted to find out what would be the canvas settings to create a logo/poster of the A4 size.

It would also help if you could also post sizes for popular postcard sizes too.

When I google it, I find some answers here but the canvas size is maxed out at 1440 Pixels.
    http://www.a4papersize.org/a4-paper-size-in-pixels.php

Is the unit of measure used in logo creator "pixels"?

Thanks
    -PB

2. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Paintbrush4u, welcome to the forum!

First, if you go to the link you posted, and read the text at the bottom you'll see that 'pixels' is not a unit of measure for size. The reason for this is that pixel size can vary based on your hardware. ( monitor and/or printer )

Take a look at his link... http://www.papersizes.org/a-paper-sizes.htm

It will show you in both mm and inches what size A4 really is.

In TLC what you need to do is create the highest resolution graphic you can, sized for what you want to do with it. 1440 x 1440 is the largest right now. Create a graphic with a color background and print it out. Compare the size to your A4 paper and you'll get an idea of what you are looking at.

( 1440 x 1440 is measured in pixels, but again, that has more to do with 'resolution' that real size )

Now, if your graphic is to small, use a 3rd part program to re-size it. If you are going for a high quality print that requires 300 DPI or higher you can adjust that also ( using a 3rd party program ).

Many use Photoshop. I can't afford that so I use http://photoscape.org
    Another free program that can do many things is GIMP. http://www.gimp.org/

Photoscape is free, from Google, and works like a charm. With it you can re-size and adjust the DPI for printing.

I know I probably haven't given you the straight answer you wanted, but there really isn't one. Use the chart on the link I posted and you should be able to come up with something 'close'. Then use Photoscape or another program to 'tweak' it.

Other users may chime in here, so watch this thread for a bit and see.

Let us know if you need anything more.

3. Paintbrush4u

Paintbrush4u

Thanks for your response GunSmoke. I will look into using third party. I once purchased Photoshop Elements 8 and I think I can use that or Gimp. I haven'r tried photoscape. Will try it out.

So what you are suggesting is try to create the logo with the aspect ration of A4 then export it as (transparent) png and then bring that into Photoscape and resize it there?

Whats the DPI of the pngs that we export here from TLC directly?

Isnt't that 300 DPI...? I would have thought so.

4. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

gcuneo2 likes this.
  5. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

aaaaahhhhh! the DPI monster raises it's head in defiance once again!

DPI, of course, is printer dependant. I have 3 printers at my house an epson inkjet, some cheap lazer printer (Never ever have had a jam in 3 years), and a dedicated photo printer.

Can I tell the difference between a 300 dpi output and 1200dpi output? Nope!

Now fancy smanzy dye-sub printers, and full color cymk bleed (Doens' that sound all official???) printers orduce some real purty pictures..

Stuff on the innernet loads quickly, and still looks good, the images can be as low as, guesswhat? 72DPI (If you insist on looking at it that way) and still look great! WHY OH WHY GREAT SWAMI?

Screen resolution is actually between 95 - 120 dpi on the vast majority of lcd monitors.

No you can buy some crazy high def monitors with ike a bajillion dots per inch resolution, but unless you have the graphics card to support it, you're just wasting your money.

In my next installment, I will talk about the history of 72DPI! It's a reall doozy too--- blame it on the original Apple monitors.....

6. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Yea, can never get enough of this huh? :shots:
    Sometimes, you just need more caffeine!