How redownload

Discussion in 'Questions or troubles updating' started by Elco, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Elco

Elco

Hey All,

I have version v5 on my Windows 7 x64 machine and about 6 months ago it stopped opening up. I click on it and the system thinks for about 3 seconds and then nothing. I don't have the original installation file and the 3rd vendor SoftWrap is no longer around. HELP! how do I redownload it?

2. KD-did

KD-did

Start with checking for a file called DS_STORE and delete it if on your computer.You may only have to do that.

If you have the key code you can download V5 and V5.2 from download.com. http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=the logo creator&platformSelect=&tag=srch&searchtype=downloads&filterName=platform=Windows,Mac,iOS,Android,Webware,Mobile&filter=platform=Windows,Mac,iOS,Android,Webware,Mobile

It maybe possible to get such a download from emailing Marc or get the free update to the V6 download.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  3. Elco

Elco

Thanks KD-did, I downloaded the trial, uninstalled and then reinstalled, same problem as before. The program won't open. Stumped, I don't get any error, icon show up in task bar for a few seconds then dissapears and I also get a generic Event ID 1000

4. KD-did

KD-did

Did you first delete TLC from the "Program Files" before downloading and installing the DEMO? Installed to C? What did you use to unzip with? Have tried running as admin?

If you have the key that will make the full V5 TLC.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  5. Elco

Elco

I have uninstalled TLC, deleted all related data in the user App Data, manually scrubbing the registry, and deleting the folder from the Program Files (x86) folder. I have tried to run the program and the installation with the "Run as Administrator" option and still the same issue. As a side note, I have also installed on another user account with admin rights and the issue persists.

6. KD-did

KD-did

I wold look at what the 2 computers have in common. By looking at that it maybe possible to sort out what was installed after the original TLC was to delete or turn off. If both computers are set exactly alike you could be looking at a conflict.

7. Elco

Elco

just one computer, different user accounts

8. KD-did

KD-did

have you installed any "Save my PC" type software? Something used to clean your computer?

9. Elco

Elco

I don't install any programs like that, I just have Microsoft Security Essentials. I provide small business IT support so I am very cautious about what gets installed onto my computer

10. KD-did

KD-did

You might look into Directx issues and make sure you have it onboard as it was needed for V5.

I am wondering if upgrading to V6 might be a solution as it has a different engine driving the program.Being a V5 owner you are entitled to the free upgrade. I would email Marc with your sales info explaining you didn't do the update to V6. So he can make the links available to you. There is work being done and the contact info seems out of whack currently.:confused:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  11. Elco

Elco

downloaded v6.6 and everything works great so far. Thanks for helping out KD-did
    Marc, thank you!

12. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Please do the following: Copy the original download file to another hard drive, or even better, a usb drive used just for online purchases.

I have a USB thumb drive I use to store just my Laughingbird stuff on: Original zipped downloads, and all of my stuff I create.

Every couple of weeks I also backup the "laughingbird documents" folder onto the usb drive as well.

If I ever have to redownload any software (Like version 5.0) (I keep 4 versions of the logo creator up and running to help people out) I just plug that usb drive in, and BAM! I'm making logos again in a few minutes....

I've been using the logo creator since 2003--- there is no way for me to re download version 4.0 for example--- besides Laughingbird used a different vendor back then to handle payments--- so looking up your order simply won't work. But I do have my usb drive filled with all my laughingbird stuff... thumb.JPG

13. Elco

Elco

thank gcuneo2, that is some very good advice. Marc was able to help me out and I now keep the installation file stored on my server, which has RAID and both onsite and offsite backup, plus my computer also backups to my server on a nightly basis.

gcuneo2 likes this.