How do I

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by dwss027, Nov 23, 2004.

1. dwss027

dwss027

Hi,

Really stumped. I got a image I had drawn and colored in in paint shop. I have a white back ground or canvas? When I import the image to the logo I want to work with I cannot get rid of the white box that is aroung my drawing. I tried the one setting that I think says get rid of white back ground but that does not work. I will try to insert the picture so you can see what I mean. Also is there a program to make the image a little more crisp. I mean when I used this image on a web site it reall looks dull compared to other items on the web site. Thanks for all your help. Scott

Attached Files:

2. dwss027

dwss027

Wrong picture

Sorry wrong picture this is the one.

Attached Files:

3. jamirae

jamirae

PaintShop Pro Version 7 "how to"

Hi Scott,

what you need to do is to make your background transparent. In Paintshop (Version 7) you will need to set the image transparency. Here are the steps you can do in PaintShop to make it work:

using the "magic wand" tool, select the white canvas area. Be sure to set the tolerance to 20, otherwise some of the scarf will get selected. You will also want to add the white space between his legs to your selection.

next you will change the background (canvas) color to something that will become your transparent color. It's best to use a color that is not part of the design. for this example, I use bright green. (html code #00FF00) click on the "flood fill" tool (paint bucket). Set your foreground color to the bright green. Then, using the flood fill, click in the selected white canvas/background color of your image to turn it to this solid green color. (see the first attachment - it's a screen shot of what it would like after you to do this).

Now go to your "colors" menu and select "set palette transparency." You will get a warning message about it needing to decrease the colors. click yes to continue on. Next you'll get a dialog box for the options related to decreasing the colors. I usually just leave it at the defaults "optimize octree" "error diffusion" and "reduce color bleeding" checked. then click okay.

next will be another dialog box where you will tell it what color to use for the transparency. select the third option "set the transparency value to palette value .. " then, at the end of that line is a color square, click in that square and your color palette will popup. The green should stand out in the palette, click on it to select it then click okay. and click okay again and it will set your transparency.

Now, to view the transparency and see if it worked correctly or not, go to your "colors" menu again and selecte "view palette transparencey" when you do this, the green area should change to a checkerboard looking section. this means it is tranparent.

Now save the file as a GIF or PNG. these two formats support transparency, JPG does not. In PaintShop when you "save as" GIF or PNG, select the "options" button in the save dialog and then run the "optimizer". This will let you see how the graphic will look with the various settings.

Once you have it saved as a tranparent GIF or PNG you can import it into your logo and the white box will no longer be there. :)

as far as how to sharpen up that image.. you will have to use the tools in paintsop to do that. There really isn't a magic way to make it perfect, you'll just have to fiddle with it. (unless someone else knows of a better way :) )

screen shots are attached, I hope this helps!

-Jami

4. Eddy Killops

Eddy Killops

Hey Jami,

Great tutorial for PSP users!

Eddy

5. dwss027

dwss027

Jami,

Your the best!!! Thanks for your help!!! Will get started right away. I tell you TLC is a great program and what makes it even better there is just great people here to help anyone who needs it. You guys just do not know the weight you lift off peoples shoulders with the help you provide. How many other programs out there do this for you after you buy the product. When I really get better at PSP and TLC I will return the favor of anyone who needs help also!! Thanks again Jami. Scott

6. jamirae

jamirae

ah no problem! always glad to help! I look forward to seeing some of your designs.

I remember back when I had no idea what a gif, jpg, or tif were let alone transparency! but it was one of the first things I learned in PaintShop -- that was version 2 of paintshop when it was shareware... dang that was a loooong time ago (I think I'm getting old)!

Yep, someday you can pass on the favor.

this is a great community here at the Laughingbird Perch. :)

7. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Yo Jamie!
    Excellent tutorial and help! Thanks for posting this.

I'm going to be re-organizing the pages of the site. One of the major changes will be in the Tutorials. I'll put this new PSP tute up!

I wish I could design a way for the graphic to remove the white cleanly from within TLC. There's got to be some sort of coding I can create for this.

.... Hmmmmm

- Marc

8. KD-did

KD-did

Yo Marc, how about a paste feature for TLC? Sure would be nice to be able to use clipboard features

9. jamirae

jamirae

Updated for Version 8 of PSP! :)

STEP ONE:
    using the "magic wand" tool, select the white canvas area. Be sure to set the tolerance to 20 (should be a place on the toolbar at the top to set the tolerance once the magic wand is selected). If you dont set the tolerance than some of the scarf will get selected. You will also want to add the white space between his legs to your selection. (hold the shift key down to add to your current selection using the magic wand).

STEP TWO:
    Next you will change the background (canvas) color to something that will become your transparent color. (your selection from step one should still be selected). It's best to use a color that is not part of the design. for this example, I use bright green (html code #00FF00). To change your background color, simply click on the background color properties in the "materials" palette (press F6 to turn this palette on/off). when you click in the background color, a color picker should come up and select the bright green then click okay. Now you can either use the "flood fill" (paint bucket icon) tool, as I previously recommened or (much easier) simply hit the "delete" key on your keyboard and the selected area (your white background in this case) will be deleted and replaced with the background color you just set.

STEP THREE:

Now go to your "image" menu and select "palette" then select "set palette transparency." (or ctrl-shift-v) :). You will get a warning message about it needing to decrease the colors to 256. Click yes to continue on.

Next shouldl be another dialog box where you will tell it what color to use for the transparency. The second option should be "set the transparency value to the current background color:" with a box of the bright green color next to it. Select this option and then click the "proof" button. You should see your the green part on your image change to the "checker board" to indicate the transparent areas. If it looks okay, then click "okay" to set the transparency color.

after you click okay the checkerboard will disappear and the green will reappear. But to make sure that you set the transparency correctly, hold the shift key down and (while holding down) press the "v" key. the checkerboard should appear now.

STEP FOUR:

Go ahead and turn off your selection by doing a Ctrl-D (hold down "ctrl" key and while holding down, press the "d" key). Now it's time to save the file!

You must save the file as a GIF or PNG. these two formats support transparency, JPG does not. In PaintShop when you "save as" GIF or PNG, select the "options" button in the save dialog and then run the "optimizer". This will let you see how the graphic will look with the various settings. For GIF I used the following settings in these tabs on the GIF Optimizer:

Transparency: existing image or layer transparency
    Partial Transparency: just leave at whatever it is set at
    Colors: existing palette (everything else should "gray out" when you select this)
    Format: interlaced

then click okay, give your file a name and save it somewhere on your computer.

voila! you did it! :banana (I hope!)

Once you have it saved as a tranparent GIF or PNG you can import it into your logo and the white box will no longer be there.

screen shots are attached, I hope this helps!

-Jami

10. dwss027

dwss027

Jami,

Hey hey!!! I did it!! Or should I say you did it.Thanks for letting me drive you nuts. I gotta bring it back to PSP to fix it up alittle but Thanks for saving my sanity. Scott

Attached Files:

11. jamirae

jamirae

yippee!! ah.. you didnt drive me nuts! happy to help. :)

looks like the makings of a cool logo.. you will post it when complete, right?

12. dwss027

dwss027

Yes I will. Actually There will be two. We fly ultra light air planes and power parachutes and I made the bird for our flying club but now I get the task of making a logo around the bird for the club. I thought the bird was pretty cool considering it seems to me that 99 per cent of the other clubs out there just use the same old plane or chute for their logo. I guess I am the guy who will break the mold hey,hey. Even the old timers in the club who raised a brow when they seen the bird at first are starting to like it.But When I all finished I will send you a club shirt for all your help.Thats the least I can do. I know I can never help you or all the great people here because you all are the guru's. Thanks Scott

13. perfectjewel

perfectjewel

I can't tell you how helpful this tutorial is to me. I have PSP 8 and this transparency issue has been driving me crazy. I can't wait to play with it now. Thanks! :35: