Resolved How do I remove background color?

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by lpburke, Dec 7, 2008.

1. lpburke

lpburke

I'd like to make the background transparent so that I can place it in a photoshop document without the white background.

I am new with photoshop and pagemaker. I am exporting as gif and png transparency but still getting background when I place it in my document in photoshop or pagemaker.

Help please??? :image10:

Thanks,

Linda

2. KD-did

KD-did

Export>>>More Options>>>Transparent png.

3. Doc

Doc Staff Member

Hi Linda welcome to SBDN forum. I have good news and bad news.......

The good news is you did export your .png logo as a transparent image (I downloaded it and checked in my graphics viewer) The bad news is that even though .png has been around for a while now not all programs display it correctly, instead they 'add' a white background to a transparent .png image.

You could try exporting it as a transparent .gif but unfortunately .gif exports tend to leave a fringe of background colour around the objects in your image. There is a way round this if the document you want to add the logo to has a plain coloured background then set the background colour in 'The Logo Creator' to the same background colour as your final document and then export it as a transparent .gif image.

Attached Files:

4. lpburke

lpburke

Tried it, didn't work.

Hi. Thanks for your quick response.

I attached a pdf copy of the cover I am working on. You can see the white background on the logo and this is after I followed your previous instruction. Any other suggestions? I need to get past this, or I fear it will be a waste of my time to work on any further logos.

I was planning on purchasing the Graphics creator also to try and create an Ebook cover, but need to resolve this before I feel good about any further purchases.

This really is addictive and fun, so I truly hope I can make this all work out.

Thanks, again, and I appreciate your patience as we work on this issue.

Linda

Attached Files:

5. KD-did

KD-did

A really big help is also keep your canvas edges as small and close to the actual graphics as possible..jpeg to show what it looks like because thumb nails of tpng won't show black on black

6. Doc

Doc Staff Member

Thanks for posting the .pdf file. I can see you are using a plain background so try the suggestion I made in my first post and set the background in The Logo Creator to match the background colour of your .pdf and export as a transparent .gif file. Or with the background colour set to match your document you could even export as a .jpg file. As KD-did suggested keep your canvas size as small as possible by moving all the logo elements to the top left of the canvas and then click and drag the window from the bottom right until it is just big enough to display the logo.

7. Doc

Doc Staff Member

Linda I just loaded your .pdf file into my editor covered the logo area with your background colour and imported your original logo over the top, as you can see it is transparent and imported correctly so you may wish to check if there are any newer versions of pagemaker available which handle .png images correctly.

Attached Files:

8. Chris_Houg

Chris_Houg Staff Member

Another thing you can do is make the canvas color the same color as the background you are going to be using it on. Then you won't have to worry about exporting it as transparent and you can additionally export it as jpg if you wish.

9. lpburke

lpburke

Matching colors

Hey guys!

Well, I took your advice and stopped trying for transparency and started trying to match colored backgrounds. I've been trying to match colors for a couple of hours now. It's so close, yet so far. Very frustrating. I've attached 3 samples of just how close I am, but it looks patchy close up. It's gotta be perfect or it'll look cheesy.

Any suggestions for matching the colors exactly? At this point, I'm feeling kind of stuck. :image25: Ouch.

Thanks a bunch!

Linda

Attached Files:

10. Worlock

Worlock Guest

Send me your image and I'll transparent it for you

11. Chris_Houg

Chris_Houg Staff Member

Try RGB for setting the canvas color and the following settings:

R: 178
    G: 174
    B: 214

12. KD-did

KD-did

To match your color easily and perfectly using TLC just take a portion (screen shot) of your page, do a save as, import it onto a canvas. Click on it>>>color>>>colorize.. use the eyedropper>>select the RGB input, or hexadecimal input to get the color code.. Or you can go MODIFY>> set background color>>use eyedopper to get the codes
    Background HEX code 9790C5

13. 3DS

3DS

Welcome Linda. I opened it in Photoshop as well to see that it's already a transparent .png - I can vouch for that. It also has a transparent BG in my windows viewer.

So I'm not sure why you can't see it in your Ps or viewer too.

14. Doc

Doc Staff Member

I have come across this before many times, the thing is .png being 'the new kid on the block' as a graphics format it is not supported correctly by older software. At work they still use IE6 and this insists on adding a background to a transparent .png file so you get some odd looking web pages viewing with it.

15. 3DS

3DS

I understand where your coming from Doc. Even tho I never had any problems with transparent .png format with IE6, IE5, or any other prevoius browser version, I believe that you must have. This doesn't have anything really to do with IE. The Windows picture/fax viewer nor Ps need IE to view it.

I have also recreated the problem and believe it is what may have happened. It was most likely "Saved for Web" and chose to save from that w/o making sure the checkbox for "transparency" was checked for a transparent PNG or GIF. It then outputs it with white background color if this is unchecked. A few other options can effect the output in this window as well, depending on which version you have, just leave em alone to be safe...or experiment with them before saving a final image.

Instead use "Save As" > PNG in Photoshop. Also be sure to turn off any extra layers that may interfere with the transpareny if needed.

16. lpburke

lpburke

Matching color quandry

Okay, I am finally matching bg colors perfectly when exporting to Pagemaker, but then when I print to PDF it still looks patchy. I am doing the eyedropper color match to RGB as per pagemaker and TLC. It is completely seamless now in Pagemaker, but patchy in PDF as you can see in attachment. I am perplexed. Has anyone come across this issue before? I am using 40% Blue for the bg in Pagemaker which is 153/153/255 RGB.

I am having a blast creating logos. I'm already a junkie and am planning to buy the The Web Graphics Creator to try and create my 3D eBook cover. Can you create POD covers with that program too? If so, maybe I won't have to worry about matching bg colors. I'll just do the whole thing in there. That'd be great.

Oops. Probly wrong forum for that topic. Sorry, if so. Anyways, I must stop for the night.

Thanks to all for your help. The helpful and friendly forum is a big deciding factor for purchasing more Laughingbird products for sure. :image28: Thanks, Linda

Attached Files:

17. KD-did

KD-did

It is your thread you can take it wherever you want.

18. KD-did

KD-did

On how to subscribe :

19. lpburke

lpburke

I finally solved the ink match problem!!! Yay!

For some reason, maybe cause I have an older version of Pagemaker, it was giving me a wrong match. It looked perfect in Pagemaker, but mismatched once I converted it to PDF.

I finally imported a pdf of my cover page into Photoshop and did a match through there. Voila! Perfect match! I am loving it!! Don't know why I didn't think of that sooner.:image10-1:

Thanks so much for all the help!

I am going to purchase the Web Graphics Creator later today! Can't wait!