Help With My Own Images?

Discussion in 'Resource & Recommendations' started by Keeper, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Keeper

Keeper

Hello,

This is my first time post.

I have been creating logos/sports club badges for some time now but the method I have used is to draw my image in pencil and ink onto paper and then scan the images and import them onto my PC.

After this I would then send the image off to a 'logo company' for them to 'tidy it up' finish the project and then send it back to me. This is too expensive hence TLC!!

I would like to continue creating images with pen and ink and importing but I would humbly ask what software does anyone recommend that is easy to use for the tidying up of said images? This normally involves cleaning the lines up adding shading and shadow and colour and making them look professional as opposed to a drawing! You see I don't like using clipart but much prefer my own original designs.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

2. KD-did

KD-did

Welcome to the forum Keeper. If you are using a PC instead of Mac y ou might give Capture Wiz a try. Not only will it screen capture but, you can edit your images in its Main menu and save .It also has an eraser tool, flood fill, brush...and you can save in a variety of formats. Take a look at http://www.pixelmetrics.com/ and http://vicman.net/vcwphoto/

I myself am also looking at adding a hardware solution to make the job a great deal easier.and that is a "Tablet PC" , because of the cordless pen and reported font scrolling problems with cordless mice I believe I would not be able to use it on my main computer which TLC is on. :(
    http://www.wacom.com/index2.cfm

3. WHBea

WHBea

Hi Keeper

I too like being able to draw my own images and then use them in TLC. I have found that I can get some really nice logos by scanning my drawings into my computer and then redraw them in a font creation program. Once I have made a font that has my drawings installed on my computer I then am able to use the drawings in TLC. With all the things that I can do with fonts in TLC I can get some pretty awesome looking effects in my logos.

4. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

How about....

Keeper have you tried Xara X.
    Download the trial to see if it fits your needs. :6:

5. Keeper

Keeper

Thanks chaps and chapesses I'll have a look at the options and give 'em a go.

I use AutoCAD and Inventor 9 at work so I am not a complete dunderhead but I have never really used any proper graphics software.

Just looking at the Xara website it looks very much as if the tidy up the pen lines bit I was on about is Anti-aliasing. Is that what someone would do to tidy a 'drawn' image imported into a computer?

I don't have clue about 'Font Creation' any links for that?

Cheers again everyone. Once I do a few decent ones I might even show you them - (not very confident that's all!)

6. Shelly

Shelly

Read here

7. KD-did

KD-did

Font Creator

PC/Shareware $65
    Author : High Logic

Font Creator is a powerful application that puts font creation within the grasp of the average PC user, typographers and graphic designers.
    The editor lets you easily select and modify the entire character set of any TrueType font and fonts based on OpenType font technology.
    Features include the ability to convert (scanned) images to outlines, thus enabling you to create fonts with your own signature, logo and handwriting.
    The intuitive interface makes Font Creator the perfect tool for both new and experienced users. The advanced validation features make the design process easy and help you avoid common mistakes.

List of Key Features:

* View and edit TrueType and OpenType fonts
    * Create new characters (glyphs) or create new fonts
    * Modify individual glyph contours
    * Add or correct composite glyphs
    * Add kerning of glyph pairs
    * Edit and correct font names and mappings
    * Correct fonts that display incorrectly
    * Transform individual glyphs or an entire font (e.g. to make a bold version)
    * Preview fonts before installing
    * Install fonts in Windows
    * Unlimited undo, redo and repeat options

Font Creator is fully functional during the 30 day trial period.

http://www.high-logic.com/

8. Keeper

Keeper

Good Afternoon (well it is here!)

Thanks friends, I actually found Font Creator myself and there is also ScanFont and so forth. The blooming list goes on forever.

I guess I've got a lot of downloading and experimenting to do!

Once again,
    Cheers to one and all!