HELP...trying to use a TLC logo for a 3ft by 5ft banner

Discussion in 'Hints and Tips' started by Rayezor, May 25, 2005.

1. Rayezor

Rayezor

I thought that I could take my completed logo in .tiff format to my local printer to create a 3ft by 5f banner. They tell me its too pixelated. Is there something I am not doing or is it just not possible with TLC to do this. Help...Thanks Rayezor :helpnow:

2. cybrnetico

cybrnetico Staff Member

3. Rayezor

Rayezor

Well I appreciate the link but it talks more of inches than feet. I am wondering if you can take a logo and have it transferred to a sign company to create a 3 foot by 5 foot banner without pixelization. What would the canvas size be for that? And what export option would you use???? Arrrggghhhh!!!!! :getting n

4. Shelly

Shelly

Its very simple you ASK your Local printer what size and format he requires,they have special soft which will convert your image to suit their needs. If you make a image and "try" streching it for them then it will become pixelated.

Its not so much the size they are interested in, but the quality of the design.

5. denhom

denhom

Shelly is somewhat correct: first and foremost, find out from your sign company (printers generally make business cards and other stationery) what their file format preferences are. I'm going to suggest that, first and foremost, they will prefer a vector-based format (from draw programs such as Adobe Illustrator and CorelDraw). Failing that, a quarter-size (or better), hi-res (300dpi) raster image will be the next choice; raster images are generally produced by paint programs, such as Photoshop, PhotoPaint, and, believe it or not, TLC in its current incarnation.

Two points about Shelly's comment, "they have special soft which will convert your image to suit their needs." First, conversions have their limitations: remember, garbage in, garbage out. Second, if a signmaker has to 'convert' your image, be prepared to pay extra for that service, depending on the amount of time and effort needed to make a graphic suitable for large format output.

Help yourself by supplying the best possible graphic for your banner (and Rayezor, there are twelve inches in a foot, so you can still use the linked thread that Cybernetico supplied: 3 foot by 5 foot equates to 36" by 60"; you do the math from there).

I know of which I speak, because I am a signmaker, and I see these problems every day.

6. D RAT2

D RAT2

Maybe I can help you with your Logo. I ran into the same problem not long ago. I can try to duplicate it for you as a pure vector image and export it as a EPS file. I believe that is the file format most digital printers use. With this type of file it is my understanding the printer can make it large enough to put on the side of a large box truck. If I'm wrong someone please correct me. But that what I was told when having some signs and banners made recently. Contact me and I will try my best to help you.