HELP! Setting Image Dimensions

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by Brad, May 11, 2012.

1. Brad

Brad

I cannot find any way to set the dimensions of my image. Apparently canvas size is not the same as pixel dimensions. When I go to "export" or "save" the logo the only option I get is .jpg, .png, or transparent .png and it asks me to name the file and pick the save location.

2. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

In discussing dimensions you have to consider many things.
    1. What resolution the image is saved at.
    2. What resolution the image will be printed at.
    3. If the image is just to be viewed on a computer monitor.
    4. What the resolution of the monitor is.
    5. What size of monitor.

Depending on your screen size, and screen resolution. For example, for me, on my monitor a 6" square is 588 pixels tall.

Here is an example.... The default canvas size is 590 x 466 when creating a logo. Most LCD monitors are set generally at about 120 dpi. The resulting image, if used the entire canvas would be 6.15 inches wide, and 4.85 inches tall, which is exactly what I measure when using a ruler to measure what I see on my screen.

Now I change my monitor resolution so that is is much higher, lets say 200dpi. that would make my screen resolution something crazy like 1600 x 600. Just by changing your screen resolution, you image that used to be 6.15 inches wide and 4.85 tall that image has shrunk to 2.95 inches wide, and 2.33 inches tall.

Now, to the best of my knowledge, when you export an image in TLC, it does so at a resolution of 300DPI. I recently just printed a star that I measured with a ruler on my screen, and it was about 5 inches from tip to tip. When I printed it (without saving it, just printing what I was working on) it was 6 and 5/8" inches from tip to tip.

I next exported that star, then inserted it into MS word, and guess what? I was 5 inches from tip to tip, but when printed, on a laser printer set to 600 dpi, it was 5 inches from tip to tip! I set the printer to to 1200 dpi, and when printed the star was still 5 inches tip to tip!

my current monitor resolution is 1920 x 1080. I then changed my monitor resolution to 1028 x 768, my star was now more than 9 inches from tip to tip, but still printed at the original 5 inch from tip to tip.size.

I am lucky. Setting my monitor at a high resolution, using the original template size, my stuff prints pretty much at the same size it appears in TLC, and the original canvas size when creating an original logo, matches the pixels dimensions when measured with a ruler.

There are many web sites that offer calculators that will automatically figure out the size of your object based upon the screen resolution, and other factors.

I know this is a start, and there are some folks who understand this much more clearly than I but I hope this helps!

3. Brad

Brad

Sorry, that didn't really help. Here is what I need to do - I am creating graphics for a webpage. I have to create images at specific dimensions (eg. 443x232). I cannot find any way in TLC to set those dimensions. When I save or export it does not give me ANY options other than naming the file. I can't reset DPI, the canvas size doesn't correlate to pixels. I am totally confused. With the old version I thought canvas size equaled pixels (been so long waiting for the update I can't remember).

Anyway, this problem is rendering the software almost worthless to me at this point. Help!

4. KD-did

KD-did

You can open TLC and choose either new logo or template canvas.. you can pull or push canvas to size or under MODIFY (last option) "format canvas" the size .

5. Brad

Brad

I know I can "format canvas" ... I am trying to set the pixel dimensions. If I MODIFY or "format canvas" to the pixel dimensions I want it doesn't seem to correlate - when the image is saved the pixel dimensions don't match the canvas size.

6. KD-did

KD-did

There is no way of setting the DPI (dots per inch) in V6 . The image can be exported and use V5 to make adjustments if still on your computer or use an image editor.

7. Brad

Brad

OK, thanks. That is very disappointing. FYI, I had already tried using iPhoto to adjust the image and guess what? Logos created with V6 won't import into iPhoto - it says it doesn't recognize the file type. Logos created with V5 import just fine. Guessing there are still some bugs to be worked out for us MAC users.

Very disappointed because this makes the software virtually useless to me.

8. KD-did

KD-did

A free image editor for Mac users that does allow the setting of the resolution and handles transparent png is Seashore. What I am not certain about is if it is compatible with your current OS. Or you could look at online editors.

9. Brad

Brad

Problem solved - there is a difference between "save as" and "export" ... when you "save as" it only saves a small thumbnail of your logo. When you "export" it will save the logo at the same dimensions of your canvas.

Feel like a moron, but so glad V6 is as awesome as I had hoped.

dandoty likes this.