HELP Printing Business Cards

Discussion in 'Hints and Tips' started by KateTrelane, Mar 31, 2005.

1. KateTrelane

KateTrelane

I have designed my business cards. Jami's tutorial was very helpful.

The only problem is that it will not let me resize the canvas any larger than 800 X 578. I have typed "1050" and "600" about a dozen times now and it just won't take it. I wouldn't care except I want the design to bleed off the edge of the cards and the 800 width is not wide enough. I end up with a strip of white space down one side or both when I print on the Avery Clean Edge card stock.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

-K.

2. KD-did

KD-did

Welcome to the forum Kate! Instead of trying to resize the canvas in your situation try resetting the margins. I developed my business card using TLC but have exported and used other programs to print my cards. This allows me to use differnt card stocks including card stock that isn't pre-cut and I can use a paper cutter and custom cut.

3. KateTrelane

KateTrelane

Thanks, for the welcome, Katie!

Do you have a recommendation on which other programs work well for layout and printing of bus. cards? I'm not too graphical! In other words, I'll have to use a BASIC program! <g>

Also, when you export to print in another application, which file format is the best?

Thank you for continuing to humor this helpless newbie!

-K.

4. KD-did

KD-did

For easy to use programs that will give you a graphics library, more fonts, more font effects,being able to shape text and headlines, the ability to place your logo anywhere on stationery, make cards, envelopes and etc Print Master or The Print shop by Broderbund.I love it for the ability to drag a project for resizing with no pixelization. It is usually available at places like Office Depot, Office Max and even Costco.

Both products you can export/import to and from and is totally compatible with TLC

5. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi Kate.

DumpCables reply was right on.
    I recommend using http://www.download.com and searching for 'business card maker' or some such.

I'm working on "The Corporate Identity Builder".
    This will allow you to export your logo from The Logo Creator and use The CiBuilder to create your business cards, letterhead and envelopes - at the push of a button (and the selection of a template from the database).

Its going to be pretty slick. Can't wait to launch it.

I can't say when, but soon. Hopefully within 30 days or so. Give or take testing. (May 1st I will most likely announce it and post the final release date).

In the meantime, focus on just creating your logo with The Logo Creator, and use a business card making program for the layout.

- Marc

6. KateTrelane

KateTrelane

RE: HELP with Business Cards

Thanks, Marc & Katie. I found the problem--when I increased my monitor resolution, voila!, I was able to resize the canvas to correctly print. DUH! why didn't I think of that 3 days earlier?!

Thanks again!

-K.

7. Ultimate

Ultimate

Increasing your monitors resolution always works but for the folks that are stuck on 800x600 or 1024x768 this little trick wont solve the problem.

If you are going to export your card to a hi resolution 300dpi jpg for a full color business card then the resolution is very important to be able to have a printer use the file.

You can always create your card as big as you can keeping the rectangle size output that image open it up in an application such as photoshop and resize the image to the correct size.

This will get the trick done for you and the file should be fine for printing.

If you take your file to a printer and he tells you that the file is not good for printing, chances are you need to find another printer.

If any member has any questions or need help you can always PM me. I'm always glad to assist.