Help needed for a logo...

Discussion in 'Logo Designs' started by Tropicana, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Tropicana

Tropicana

Hello,

I am looking for help to create a logo for my new website. I have no experience with building websites, but i tried to do it by myself with an editor program. This is so far the result: www.ridetheclassics.com . But I have no skills or tools to create a nice logo.
    I would like to find some items back in the logo:
    * the "R" from Ride could be the body from a cyclist on a bike (like the logo from this website: www.letour.fr ).
    * the double "SS" from classics could be use as a curved road

I hope somebody can help me. :image24:
    Thx in advance!

2. awalck

awalck Staff Member

Welcome Tropicana! Nice website you are building there. We'll see what we can do for a logo for you, however, I won't try to imitate their "R"/cyclist because it will too closely resemble their logo & concept. We have to be careful of infringement. They have a unique design, but I'm sure someone here can come up with a nice one for you.

3. Tropicana

Tropicana

Hello Awalck,

I understand what you mean.
    I am looking forward to see the creativity from the members here..... :image28:

4. awalck

awalck Staff Member

Okay, to get things rolling...

I didn't know what colors you wanted, so if you have a preference just let us know. I'll try the 's' idea later today. Have a great day!

Attached Files:

5. Tropicana

Tropicana

Its looks already very good!
    I have no preference which colors, but i notice that you use a bit the same colors from the website, which is a good idea. Normaly my favorite colors combination is white/bleu/black, but I am sure you are more creative then me and you will now better then me which colors are the best to use.
    The logo will come on the left side from the head banner (picture) and later on I would like to make that banner in flash.
    I would only like a more "outstanding" lettertype. Maybe the road can be an cobble road an on the background some hills? Please don't think I command you, i just give some extra ideas. I like the examples already!!!

Greetzzzz:image28:

6. Topcatz

Topcatz Guest

Hi Tropicana

I'd like to give it a shot............
    TC

Attached Files:

7. Tropicana

Tropicana

score so far...

Hey Alwack & Topcatz

Ik would like to give some scores for the different designs so far:
    *rtc01: 9,5/10
    *rtc02: 9,5/10
    *rtc03: 8/10
    *RIDEclassics1: 8/10
    *RIDEclassics1: 8/10

The "R" and "E" are not directly recognisable in the wheels.

The rtc02 image with a cobble road, some hills in the background and maybe another lettetype will be 10/10! :image28:

8. awalck

awalck Staff Member

Thanks for the comments Tropicana. I already had these done, so I thought I would post them anyway. I will work on rtc02 later today. Also, tell us a little more about what kind of font/type you would like or what kind you do not like. Thanks.

Attached Files:

9. Tropicana

Tropicana

Hey Awalck,

Your design rtc05 get's a 9,95/10 !!!
    Just leave out the cobbles (a normal road that leads to the hills look better) and if you can put "the classics" in white color with a dark shadow would be perfect (background picture).
    Something like this...: [​IMG]

10. Topcatz

Topcatz Guest

Thanx

We appreciate being kept up to speed, I'll try one more, later today.
    TC

11. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

Hi Tropicana,
    With a name like ride the classics i thoughed your logo should project what the riding these classics means...
    imho a "swooshy" graphic as the image of a rider just doesn't do justice to the blood, sweat, tears, honor and pride of actually riding (let alone finishing) one of these classics.
    In this design the rider (vector graphic i made in coreldraw) is standing up and working hard to get up and down the hills and mountains of Vlaanderen en de Ardennen, represented by the green curved graphic. The black curved line at the bottom are the "kasseien" and "kinderkopjes" that made the classics in these parts infamous!
    The font is called "18th century" a....classic..
    Rideing a classic should make you feel like you're Merx, Planckaert, Kneteman or Zoetemelk (non europeans, don't be affraid to ask...), in other words like a hero! and your logo should portray the same.
    (just my 2 cents ofcourse)
    :image31:MD

Attached Files:

12. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

your favourite colors i believe?!

(ps this thread should be here
    see title first post)

Attached Files:

13. Topcatz

Topcatz Guest

My Final shots

I always enjoy MD's renderings, he has a great talent.
    The great thing about logos as they are subjective as opposed to objective...
    I know that MD created his illustrations although they might be mistaken for "clip art".... I believe that in this instance swooshes etc, are in order...I think the tour de france logo is great..
    1) it scales well..
    2) it uses a limited amount of color (that can be interchanged as needed depending on the background)...
    3) it can be used on everything from caps, shirts etc and the limited use of colors makes it economical and easy for multipurposed tasks....
    I have to a limited amount emulated their style.
    I believe Tropicana, that you should look past the effects
    of the banner usage and concetrate on "the big picture"
    Best regards.
    TC

Attached Files:

14. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

:lol:
    Thanx buddy, here's how i made my own "clipart"
    (took me forever since i'm a real CorelDraw novice)

15. Topcatz

Topcatz Guest

thanx

MD, I OWE YOU BIG TIME!:image06-3:

16. awalck

awalck Staff Member

At your request Tropicana,
    Nice work MD and TC! MD, you're right there's a lot of blood, sweat, and tears in the sport. Tropicana, I hope your tour doesn't involve the same. :image05:

Attached Files:

17. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

that's what makes it fun....

18. Tropicana

Tropicana

Thx all!!!

Thank very much for your support and creativity!
    After consulting with my project partner we have decided to choose this style from Awalck with a few adjustments: [​IMG]

Here are the adjustments that we would like. In the example that is add to this message I have already changed the letter type to Lucida Lettertype but if you can clean it up a bit, that would be nice.

* Can you allow the road to touch the hill line?

* Can you clean up the word 'ride' using the Lucida Lettertype?

ps: Alwack i send you also a PM

19. MasterDesign

MasterDesign

Good choice changing the font to Lucida, good job Awalck!, cool to see you addapting the initial design to all the requested (little) changes! flexibility is key!
    Meneer Ryloft en partner, succes met uw onderneming en website als ik eens wat voor u kan betekenen hoor ik het graag.
    MD.

20. awalck

awalck Staff Member

Thanks MD and Tropicana, I will post the final logo soon and will wait for your PM. Thanks again.