Hello from NEw ENgland

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself!' started by zukester, Oct 24, 2013.

1. zukester

zukester

My name is Bob and I am new to this part of web design, the non-coding part. This seems like something I can use often to make logos.

That said, I found a glitch in mine. When I click on the "shapes.db" screen, the entire program freezes if I use the slider (sometimes not) and does not show anything to the left side of the choices, all choices being aligned to the right part of the slider. Is there a fix for this? I have lost a lot of work.

Thanks So Much,
    Bob Z........"zukester"

Attached Files:

2. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

There is a known bug with the shapes_db file.
    Delete the shapes_db file. Replace it with the attached file....(Just unzip it into the following location):

1.NAVIGATE TO THE FOLLOWING LOCATION:

C:\Users\Glenn\Documents\Laughingbird Documents\Logo Elements
    The "Glenn" would be different on your computer!

2. CREATE A FOLDER WHILE IN THE LOGO ELEMENTS DIRECTORY AND CALL IT "SHAPES"

3. Unzip the attached file into that newly created folder!

Attached Files:

3. zukester

zukester

COOL BEANS! Does this also mean that I can make png images and use them in TLC? One last Q for now. Is there any way to active the mouse scroll on menus? Is that in the works?

Thanks so much for getting back so fast with the answer and even supplying the file!

Bob Z., aka "zukester"

4. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

Yes. PNG / JPG work just fine.

bY THE MENUS DO YOU MEAN THE PULL DOWN ELEMENT MENUS, OR THE ONES THAT YOU DO ALL THE EDITING WITH (SIZING, FORMATTING, ETC..)?

5. zukester

zukester

Well, any menu really. gcuneo2 replied to me here I think:

"TO USE THE WHEEL ON THE MOUSE:RIGHT MOUSE CLICK HOLD, THE USE SCROLL WHEEL. "

That seemed to work. I was trying to use the scroll button on the mouse itself.

Bob Z.
    zukester

6. zukester

zukester

Two more slight issues I have discovered. Maybe someone knows the cure.

1. Moving any items makes their opacity go back to 50%.
    2. CTRL+Z (undo) instantly removes the item or pushes it out of the scene completely, with just a smidge to drag back. That was not the state they were in. This happens on multiple items in the scene, sometimes all of them. Sometimes just the one.

7. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

This is the first I've ever heard of this... I'll look into it. Thank-you for catching this!

8. zukester

zukester

Ah, you kidding? You should hire me to test drive and torture releases. :cool:

One thing is I use the keyboard a lot more than most, coming from DOS. It have not happen with the mouse, not sure. Minor glitch. Program is stellar regardless. So thank YOU.

9. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

One thing I do all the time in the program: When resizing an object you go to the image edit menu, select scale, grab the slider, slide left or right to make the image larger or smaller as needed. I prefer to keep my eyes on the image, not the menu on the left.

Click once on the "scale" slider: Then use your mouse wheel to resize.

10. zukester

zukester

It does not seem to be working for me, but that is fine. No big deal. Another one that does not scroll is the Logo Templates in the opening "Select a Template". Minor details, just for convenience. I care about the finished product I can make with it more than anything. And that is in the power of the app, not the convenience.

11. zukester

zukester

OK. Some things that need attention, which I use in most other Windows programs, especially graphics ones.

1. CTRL+Z returns a moved object or REMOVES an object just placed on the canvas
    2. Holding an arrow key in combination with the CTRL key down does not make the object move faster, as in any other graphics programs.
    3. Opacity changes back to 50% when changing a color or even just moving an object.
    4. Needs a way to zoom in on the work space to move objects slightly
    5. When resizing by typing in the "scale number", the object moves away and must be dragged back.
    6. Asks if you want to overwrite a file, then does not let you!

12. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

If you really like using the keyboard, Windows has a nice feature called "mouse keys"....
    Mousekeys does let you move things ever so slightly- but it also depends on your mouse sensitivity settings. It took me about 15 minutes to get really proficient and just using the keyboard.

The zooming in to move things around with more control has been mentioned quite a bit in the past, many have requested it. I've played with adjusting my mouse sensitivity, but it's woroking pretty good for me so I leave it alone now.

In win 8.1 go here: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Ease of Access Center\Make the mouse easier to use--- click on enable mouse keys

THIS IS HOW I RESIZE STUFF: I click once on the scale tool- then i use my mouse wheel to scale up or down.

That over writing issue has been buggy for a number of users. Do I have a simple easy fix? Yup: I just use a different name. There have been some issues where a customer uses an undescore (It's just to the 1 o'clock position from the letter p on your keyboard) in the name. In other instances the customer had selected, let's call the file "horse", "save as .jpg" but named the file "horse.png"-- changing the file extension in name only which results in the "HEY! THIS FILE ALREADY EXISTS....." error message. I can duplicate to error pretty easily-- sometimes it happens with unedited templates, sometimes it doesn't.

What I do when a user says "HEY! My computer does this, that, and the other when....." I duplicate the problem on my own computer. I call it "the brute force" method. I try one thing at a time-- such as saving a file with a special character in the name, then change it back. I then try whatever it was in version 5.2, then version 6.0, then version 6.6. I also will run 4 or 5 anti virus programs, If I think it wil help, all at the same time, trying to figure things out.

I've made something like 600 posts answering stuff, KD-did, I think about 11teen billion--- There are about 15 or so "stock answers" that address 99.99 of the issues customers have. I've started telling people to try out the "search feature" on the forum.... it's how I did up all my old responses!

KD-did likes this.