Hello and Happy New Year from nucon1985

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself!' started by nucon1985, Jan 3, 2008.

1. nucon1985

nucon1985

I am new to the Forum so I will probably do a lot of reading the current posts for a while. I will tell you a little about myself so that you know where I am coming from. I am a Professional Addictions Counselor, Consultant, and Futurist. I am also a freelance writer having written a regular column in Professional Counselor Magazine for 5 years. I am the original founding editor of the Missouri Addiction Counselors Association Newsletter and wrote and edited that publication for 15 years as a paper publication. It has now gone to our web site and I have turned the responsibility over to the new counselors in the organization. One of my first jobs was as a copywriter and layout artist for the old Western Auto Stores. I followed that in a job with Dow Jones, publisheres of the Wall Street Journal and spent 5 years with them. For those of you out there who are friends of Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob Smith, so am I. Have been for 28 years. I suppose that is enough about me for now. I will add to this later, as I get the feel for the rest of the active members.

2. Wicked

Wicked

Well you make do good business here.. We have a lot of people addicted to the software.... Of course thats not a bad thing so I think the creator of it all Marc (The godfather of LBS) might make you disappear if you break peoples addiction to the software... All jokes are in fun but on a serious note it sounds like you might be interested in the new business section of the forum coming soon.. Perhaps you will have some experience to share and some knowledge to gain soon... hope to see you around often

3. Randy...

Randy... Guest

Ah oh, an addicion counselor? My wife says I need one of them because I buy to many dj toys (lights, speakers, amps, music). ................see ya.............

Seriously, welcome to the forum!

4. nucon1985

nucon1985

Addiction to hardware and software....

I have had a few folks that thought they might have an addiction to the internet. Turned out that in the vast majority of cases, it was nothing more than a temporary dependency that with a little effort on their part could be brought down to something a little more in line with "normal," whatever normal is. One thing for sure, it will not ruin one's liver....or better put, there is no research to indicate that it would. Now if the individual is drinking alcohol right along with the excessive computer activity, that could be a problem. A true addiction, as I see it, must have some genetic factors involved along with environmental input and other psychosocial factors involved. Bottom line.....most of the folks that are on the computer a lot need not worry about any "software addiction" developing. That would be a rare case indeed.

5. pddawson

pddawson

Hi Nucon and welcome to the forum