Group/Ungroup Lock/Unlock

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself!' started by jazzy, Feb 27, 2007.

1. jazzy

jazzy

Hello Everyone. I am a new user and am looking for information on grouping and locking. I can't seem to find anything in any of the tutorials.

I am trying to group elements together and can't get the "group" command to work.

Also, when do you use "lock"?

Thanks for the Help!:image25:

2. KD-did

KD-did

To lock go to "MODIFY" and scroll down to lock.

3. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Grouping and ungrouping logo objects

Hi Jazzy.
    Welcome to the forum!

Most of the logos I've created in the logo collections are 'grouped' together. Grouping allows you to move and modify layers of text at the same time.

To ungroup, select the word (or object) and choose "Ungroup" from the Modify menu. Then, click anywhere on a blank part of the logo canvas (to basically deselect everything you've previously clicked on).

To GROUP items together, hold the SHIFT key down and click each item to want to group together. You can also click and drag a marquee around the elements. Then, choose Group from the Modify menu.

If you group words together, you can change the font, size and color all at once.

Hope this helps!

- Marc

4. jazzy

jazzy

Thanks. I have a mac, so holding down the shift key (there is only one), just seemed to "grab" the element I clicked on. But drawing the marquee around the whole image worked great. Thank you!

What is the "lock" used for?

5. jazzy

jazzy

Thanks. I had tried the commands "lock" and "group" from the "modify" menu, but couldn't get them to group my elements together into one image.

I tried dragging a marquee around the elements and then grouping. That worked. I am still not sure about what "lock" does.

Thanks for your reply.

6. Randy...

Randy... Guest

It would also be nice to have sizing added to be allowed while you have something grouped, so you could adjust the sizing of all the elements at once.

7. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Actually, you can do this now Randy!

If you SHIFT select (Shift + click) only text elements, you can resize them all at once. you SHIFT select (Shift + click) only objects elements, you can resize them all at once.

If you shift click Objects and text, you won't be able to.

Jazzy, Shift clicking should work fine. (I'm also on a Mac by the way!) Let me know if you've been able to shift + click since you originally posted.

- Marc

8. Randy...

Randy... Guest

Thanks Marc -- I was referring to selecting all (text & elements).

9. Filmmakerharryb

Filmmakerharryb

I don't have a modify button, why? can anyone help me?

10. KD-did

KD-did

There is no "modify" button in the V6 editions.