Gregxxx

Discussion in 'Resource & Recommendations' started by gregxxx, Jun 21, 2004.

1. gregxxx

gregxxx

A Story... I walked into a store & saw your product and couldn't resist this inexpensive software. At the time I thought it was probably some cheap thing that wouldn't have any real value to me. I was wrong! I have an art background but something died in me 5 years ago and haven't been involved since that time. I have found a new burning desire; you see I was involved in all media types but my love was graphic design. This software is GREAT and I commend you; not only with the products but for having a forum that we can share ideas. I have a few important questions:#1 When I first turn on TLC, how do I pull up my previous logo so I can modify something, I keep getting the logo imposed over a new template & it is locked in place(grouped) What am I doing wrong?
    #2 When I export my logo onto my computer after it is finished it goes into a thing called irfan view with a red flat cat logo design. Inside there, the resolution is low(72dpi)I've tried changing the res. but it keeps changing back to 72. Is there a way to set the proper resolution inside TLC before I export? I've been pressing "custom export" then JPEG, set default2, then export.
    #3 I've tried importing a graphic element such as a clipped art butterfly from another program but I keep getting a white box although it appeared to have been previously clipped. This is fine if I keep my canvas white but I want to change canvas colors. Please advise. Thank you for your great product, the forum and also to the members- you are a wonderfully supportive group of people. Sincerely, Greg (OOPS ONE MORE:How do I send an attachment to the forum as I want to show my logo? (note: I may have figured out this attachment thing) :) you can reach me @

2. gregxxx

gregxxx

The logos I sent were 2 samples only, not the ones I plan 2 use. I wanted to send the one I settled on but it was 113kb just a little too big. Is there a way to post my finished design?

3. Lats

Lats Staff Member

You could crop your logo to cut out the background.

4. Mr Laughingbird

Mr Laughingbird Staff Member

Hi Greg.
    I'll try and tackle your questions one by one. I'm posting it here in the forum (rather than emailing you) for the benefit of others.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say 'getting a logo imposed over a new template'. This may mean you're working in "demo" mode. Is it the watermark you're speaking of? Or something you've created? If it's something you've created, you can simply click on it and, under the MODIFY menu, choose "delete logo element"

Sounds like you may have selected all of the elements together (by clicking and dragging your cursor over the entire canvas). This will group everything together. This is probably the time you saved the logo. to UNgroup, just click anywhere on blank section of canvas.

Or, you can UNgroup or UNlock them under the 'Modify' menu.

Set the DPI under the "EXPORT" menu (not the 'custom export' area).
    The second option under the Export menu is "Export Resolution". Select this, and type in your desired res.

the best kind of graphic to import into The Logo Creator is a PNG.
    If you really have to import a jpeg, you can use the 'remove white' option under the MODIFY menu. This takes away the white bounding box. It really only works well if your background is also white.

Hope this all helps a bit Greg!
    Thanks for the kind words about the software too!
    Have fun with it all!

- Marc

5. gregxxx

gregxxx

Thanks for the help..theres more

:) Thanks,Big help! It appears I was in demo mode. I have figured out how to retrieve a saved logo from my files but it appears that when I saved the logo, the canvas got saved as well because I had a background color. Canvas and all elements are grouped together and I can float them around the screen but I cannot seperate them and I tried ungroup, unlock etc... I remember bringing up a saved logo before with no problems but can't figure what is going on this time.
    I've tried exporting from png but it doesn't work on my computer. It sends it to adobe reader but won't allow me to open it. I understand exporting a PNG but how do I import a PNG? The screen that comes up when I press import from the file menu says " Files of type" and only reads "All files" Any ideas out there about what I have been experiencing? Thank you for all of your imput!
    Question: Does this mean that if I import a graphic under PNG I won't get the white space around the clipped image? Under a jpeg import when I click remove white, there is tracings of white still there. Greg

6. gregxxx

gregxxx

I just got the png import thing figured out in corel gallerry and it works fine in TLC
    If I can only figure out how to ungroup everything! Maybe better still, If someone can tell me how to go about it from scratch.Every suggestion I received was an enormous help and saved much frustration. Thanks people

7. KD-did

KD-did

To lock or unlock look under "modify" window, and choose unlock.

8. gregxxx

gregxxx

I did those steps, nothing! When I save a logo that I created, I don't know why it grabs the canvass, be it white or color and everything is locked and grouped together and I can't get it to ungroup/unlock again. All I want to do is create a logo, save it to my desktop, then import it back into logo creator to make changes at a later time - for instance, to change a background color, element, text or whatever. When I first got the program I remember saving a logo, then bringing it back and it would open similiar to when the demo mode opens up with the logo creator image with palette and paint image that would dissappear and show the logo creation underneath, thats not the way it comes up now. Does anyone know what I am talking about? I have the rest of the questions I had answered, But I would like to get past this one - it's really bugging me, Thanks, Greg
    Ps.. That PNG import thing is really great. I just did a sample logo for my portfolio with an imported (png)(corel gallery) cartoon fish. I removed the white background, put the elements together and it looks really great! When I import an object, I find the scale tool works really slow compared to trying to scale any other element on the program. Why is that or is it just my computer?

9. russgri

russgri

Here is how I Export my logo's as a gif with a transparent background which gets rid of the canvas color.
    Choose Export
    Then Select 'Custom Export'
    Then Select 'TranspGIF' OR TranspPNG'
    Then change the size of the Image to be exported if necessary.
    Then click of the canvas color of your logo (this will render the color transparent.)
    Then click on the 'Export' button and save the image to whatever name and folder.

10. gregxxx

gregxxx

Haven't time yet but when I get back home later I will give that a try. Will that give me a sharp image when copied to paper stock and ready to give to the customer. I also want to create a portfolio of my work so I will need to have a paper copy of my designs. I am planning on providing the logo on a disc. Thanks, Sincerely, Greg

11. gregxxx

gregxxx

Out of frustration comes results. I want to share what I learned so that it may help someone else. First you create your work of art(logo) then you do 2 things...#1 before you do anything, you create one file to save and to open later. Under file you "save as" to desktop or wherever you want and label it clearly so that you can easily go back to it later; this file will not open from there, at least it won't on my computer. #2 You now want another file that you can view, open, print, whatever, so I will give the steps again that I learned from RUSSGRI A. go to EXPORT B. press CUSTOM EXPORT
    C.press transGIF or trans PNG ( I like transPNG) D.change size of image ( I just grab the corner of canvas and pull it in. You have to be careful not to distort your image.
    E. RUSSGRI says to click of/off? the canvas color which I am still a little confused but I did manage to follow his steps and it worked for exporting my logo, F. and finally...EXPORT, again always label your file to something easily recognized(I put it in bold so I can locate it quickly) You now will have 2 files.
    I am sure the people who have been doing this for a long time have other ways of doing this kind of thing but this has been my experience as a newbie and I believe that someone new to this will save a lot of frustration if they do the 2 file thing. You can always eliminate the second file later when you have no more need for it. When I just went "EXPORT" and followed those steps, it worked fine but I was unable to edit later when I brought my image back into the LOGO CREATOR. When I created my 1st file using the steps above, I was able to pull it up again and edit as nothing was ever locked or grouped together. I hope this has also helped someone as you all have helped me. I have learned and overcome alot and your help is very much appreciated. Your a GREAT community. Sincerely, Greg