Great Software But Very Slow & Sluggish On My Computer

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by markandroena, Mar 27, 2014.

1. markandroena

markandroena

This is really a very flexible,quality software and I like using it but it is extremely slow and sluggish when I move graphics and add text. It seems to take forever to do what should take a short amount of time adding a few graphics and text.

More than likely the problem is my computer here are my system details:

General
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Central Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz
    User Name
    Graphics
    Video Adapter Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
    Video Memory 384.00 MB
    Screen Resolution 1280 x 800
    Storage
    Total Memory 2.99 GB
    Free Memory 1.66 GB
    Total Hard disk 74.53 GB
    Free Hard disk 7.04 GB

I use Firefox,have used Chrome lately but too many issues so not anymore. Hope someone can recommend a solution.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

Your computers stats look fine. One note, after April 8 Windows XP is dead. It will no longer be updated or supported by Microsoft. Does not mean it'll quit working.

Which version of TLC are you using? Did you upgrade from an earlier version and did it work fine before?

Many things can cause a sluggish computer. What else do you have running? Antivirus? Internet connected? Try disconnecting from the internet if you are connected, Check running programs and shut everything down and then try running TLC. Might want to scan your computer for viruses, malware and such. Even with an antivirus running, something may have gotten through.

Let us know what happens when you check and try these things and we'll go from there.

KD-did likes this.
  3. KD-did

KD-did

No problems with my XP and TLC V6.8...Really look at the stretching of your resources by running too many programs at one time.

4. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

It looks like your issue may be with memory allocation: What is eating up 1.3GB of memory?

When I run firefox, quite often my system resources monitor shows the browser typically using close to 400MB of memory, IE about 70MB....

I was running the software years ago on an old 486 with 64MB of ram with no issues-- but the software was pretty slim back then---

Your best bet, in my opinion is to start tweeking memory settings....

There are a finite number of resources that are available for a computer's CPU. Windows manages these resources automatically, and can allocate tasks between processors or manage multiple processes on a single processor. You can adjust how Windows manages these resources by prioritizing them between the foreground programs and the background services.

By default, Windows puts a priority on the foreground programs. The added processing resources cause programs to respond more quickly. However, if you have background services, such as printing or disk backup that run while you work and you want them to respond faster, you can have Windows share processor resources equally between background and foreground programs.

Note If you are using your Windows XP computer as a server, allocating more resources to background services is recommended.

To manually change the performance of foreground and background programs, complete these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then press ENTER to open the System Properties dialog box.
    2. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Performance click Settings.
    3. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Processor scheduling use one of the following methods:
      • Click Programs to assign more processor resources to the foreground programs. This setting is recommended for most users.
      • Click Background services to assign equal amounts of processor resources to all running services. This includes print jobs and applications.
    4. Click OK to apply preferences and close the dialog box.
    Step 2: Manually manage computer memory
    When your computer's physically installed random-access memory (RAM) is running low, Windows adds available memory by using a paging file, generally known as virtual memory, on the hard disk to simulate physical RAM. By default, the virtual memory paging file that is created during installation is 1.5 times the physical RAM on your computer. Therefore, a computer that has 1GB of installed RAM will have 1.5GB of virtual memory.

You can manually change the size of the paging file to make it larger or smaller. You can also optimize virtual memory use by dividing the file space between multiple drives and by removing allocated space from slow or heavily accessed drives. To optimize your virtual memory space, divide it among as many physical hard drives as possible. When you select drives, follow these guidelines:
    • Try to avoid having a paging file on the same drive as the system files, usually drive C.
    • Avoid putting a paging file on a fault-tolerant drive such as a mirrored volume or a RAID-5 volume. Paging files do not require fault tolerance, and some fault-tolerant computers experience slow data writes because they write data to multiple locations.
    • Do not put multiple paging files on different partitions on the same physical disk drive.
    How to manually change the size of the virtual memory paging file
    You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the administrator’s group to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from completing this procedure.

To manually change the size of virtual memory, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
    3. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Virtual memory click Change.
    4. Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file that you want to change.
    5. Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, type a new paging file size in megabytes (MB) in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.
    6. Click OK to close the dialog box and apply changes.
    Note After you change the size of the paging file, you may be prompted to restart Windows. If you are prompted to restart, the changes will not take effect until Windows is restarted.

Notes
    • To have Windows select the best paging file size, click System managed size. The recommended minimum size is the same as 1.5 times the RAM on your computer, and 3 times that figure for the maximum size. For example, if you have 256 MB of RAM, the minimum size is 384 MB, and the maximum size is 1152 MB.
    • For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is the same as 1.5 times the RAM on your computer. It is good practice to leave the paging file at its recommended size as performance can decrease if a paging file is too large. However, you may increase its size if you frequently use programs that use lots of memory, such as graphics programs or games.
    • We strongly recommend that you do not disable or delete the paging file because this can lessen the computer's performance. However, if you decide to delete a paging file, set both the initial size and the maximum size to zero, or click No paging file.
    How to manually optimize the memory usage
    You can optimize your computer's memory usage to reflect your specific needs. If your computer is used as a workstation instead of as a server, you can increase performance by devoting more memory to your programs. Your programs will work faster and the system cache size will remain the default size that was included with Windows XP. Or, you can set aside more computer memory for a larger system cache if your computer is used primarily as a server, or if you use programs that require a large system cache.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
    3. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Memory usage use one of the following methods:
      • Click Programs if you use your computer primarily as a workstation instead of as a server. This option allocates more memory to your programs.
      • Click System cache if your computer is used primarily as a server or if you use programs that use a large system cache.
    4. Click OK to save preferences and close the dialog box.

KD-did likes this.
  5. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

6. KD-did

KD-did

Best way to do it...straight from the OLD horses' mouth.:)

Another option is to consider making the current drive a SLAVE and add a NEW drive with newer OS. Usually it is just a matter of setting the jumpers on the old drive. Check with drives manufacturer.

7. markandroena

markandroena

Thanks for the input I have been using version 6.8 since it was released. I upgraded from earlier version it was the same sluggishness with the older version.
    I am Using Panda Antivirus along with Advanced System Care and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. My startup programs are minimal only 4 with the antivirus slowing my computer the most.
    I have made sure my running programs are minimal.
    I monitor my computer constantly with the above maintenance and antivirus programs don't believe it is a virus issue.
    Gcuneo2,I did as you suggested as far as memory allocation no noticeable difference.
    I tried using TLC without internet and antivirus turned off same slowness.
    I have to repeatedly click an element to move it or highlight it. Just not real smooth and very time consuming.
    I do believe it is my computer in some way and not the software. I really like what TLC can do but so time consuming to create a simple graphic.

8. gunsmoke

gunsmoke

I agree that it's something on your computer. Identifying what is usually the problem. Since you're running XP I'd say your due to upgrade anyway. Up to you. Your hardware should be okay, it almost has to be software. It's probably not the OS as others use XP. Just going to depend on how much time you want to spend tracking it down. Let us know if you do discover what is causing it. You might try booting your computer in SAFE mode and see how it runs. Just a thought.

9. gcuneo2

gcuneo2

I noticed when I began running the beta release version of win 8.0 that there was a noticeable improvement in responsiveness in the program.

Markandronena: Do you have issues with mouse sluggishness in any other graphic program?

I'm also a big fan of making sure you have the latest version of ADOBE AIR. It's free: http://adobe-air.todownload.com/?lp...518&pl=&ds=s&gclid=CMD-rPSXtL0CFUqUfgodvBIA1A

Markandronena: from what I can tell your graphics chipset is on your motherboard, and shares system resources? If so do you have an available PCI / PCIe slot? I bought some silly PCI video card and plugged it in--- it has 1GB of ram, and even allows me to fly my much loved flightsim with most of the settings maxed out.

I use CCLEANER to clean up bloatware, and temp files all the time-- It's free here's a link:
    The last time I ran it a couple of days ago it leared up something like 13GB of temp files!

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

It really makes disabling start up stuff much easier than in Winxp...

10. markandroena

markandroena

Thanks for the suggestions I have the latest version of AIR,I really like XP I am used to using it I hate the idea of changing to another OS but I may have to soon.
    I haven't really noticed any mouse sluggishness in any other programs that I can recall. I use Advanced System Care that program has many maintenance tools in it including startup I really like it. I have an older Dell laptop not sure on the PCIe slot.
    Also in TLC when I scroll through the fonts the program shuts down not sure what that is about.

11. KD-did

KD-did

Once upon a time there was a scrolling issue and there was an absolute EASY fix and it only had to be one time. Try hitting the F9 button after choosing either embedded or system fonts. And in some cases it has been reported back to me it has fixed the scrolling problem for some permanently.

Hitting F9 or F8 followed by a letter is a great shortcut through fonts lists... not having to scroll through all fonts to get to one you know you want to use.

For some there maybe a fix by downloading the latest "drivers" for their mouse.

If a cordless mouse maybe fresh batteries are in order.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  12. KD-did

KD-did

As I recall Advanced System Care has a running monitoring situation going on. Try turning it off temporarily while running TLC.