Gifs different to pngs

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by jeff21up, Jul 16, 2009.

1. jeff21up

jeff21up

Hi
    When I save a log as a gif it is diffrent to how it should look if i save as a png?
    Has anyone else come across this, if so any advice please
    Thanks
    Jeff

2. GCFL

GCFL

The quality of a .gif is not as high as with a .png. the file compression in a gif is what is called lossy compression vs. lossless as found in a .png. What this means is that when you save a gif, the actual image detail is degraded as a result of the compressed file. png files do not have this issue. If you can stick with the png, I would do that. BTW, jpg or jpeg files also lose image quality when you try to decrease the file size. Hope this helps.

3. Wicked

Wicked

^^^ what he said...

.GIFs are commonly used because the file size is smaller and will load faster in your web pages. However your .PNG is higher quality and is bigger in size and takes longer to load. The JPG or JPEG is smaller in size than the .PNG typically and also has good quality but not as detailed as the .PNG. As well you can achieve transparent backgrounds with the .GIF and .PNG but you can not with the .JPG or .JPEG.

4. GCFL

GCFL

with todays Internet speeds, I think png's are much more popular than they have ever been. I think gifs are going the way of the dodo...just my 2 cents. :)

5. 3DS

3DS

In addition to what everyone mentioned so far, a gif is also best designed for sharper lined images such as logos and images with a limited palette of solid colors. They are reduced down to 256 websafe colors, unlike a png or jpeg.

So if your logo or image doesn't have any gradients or drop shadows, that use soft blurs or feathering, and just a few or handful of colors; than yes you may want to consider on using a gif for your web use as your best bet.

6. jeff21up

jeff21up

Thank you all